Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WACO Biplanes, Brand new...!
Many of us fantasize about flying and the freedom it allows. There is a company now,  in 2020 that is in the business of building these Vintage Aircraft to original specifications. Of course with materials that have become superior as time passes, yet of original design.  They endevor to remain as 'Vintage' as possible outwardly, while retaining the 'look of decades gone by' 

The primary offerings are the WACO YMF-5 and the more performance related Great Lakes model.

The WACO YMF-5 here: 
[Image: 1305flyoff1.jpg]
And here:

[Image: waco-1931-moosepeterson.jpg]

While the Great Lakes is of a slightly different configuration and powerplant. Much sleeker and affording a greater forward view.

[Image: image1.png]

OK, HOW MUCH     ?  

Well forget your kids college fund, sell your vacation properties furthest from private airports or landing strips..... and plan on building a Hanger to stash your Toy ('s) in.... It's going to set you back about oh... $400,000 K, maybe a scoush more by time you configure accessories.... which to be honest are few. But Bespoke paint could well cost you umm... how crazy do you want to get. In the scheeme of things, the price is sort of a bargain. New Mooneys sell for upwards of double that if equipted with nice control systems and modern Glass (guages, Radio, navigation upgrades.  So in reality, the YMF-5 or the Great Lakes are bargains. 

Of course as you gathered, with the open cockpit it would be primarily fair weather use. But as I said, Bespoke can be had, and a closed cockpit could be added. But still...? My guess is you'd rather have nice weather on a Saturday or Sunday morning flight.

or any day of the week lol.

And more EYE CANDY...... tinybiggrin 

So are you ready for an adventure ? An Indiana Jones type adventure, a mysterious Lost Island adventure with only your companion ? Or  a picnic at some quaint airstrip far from the clutter and noise.

So hay.... most of your kids are already smart........................................allecks anyway... OR if your a Wise Guy, you could have both, just like 'The Sopranos ...hmm hmmm ha ha.

So yea....... are you game... ?
[Image: 33426751957a14697540d78d4cb427fb.jpg]

https://www.wacoaircraft.com/ 

ooops, did I say storing in a hanger with your other toys ?

[Image: 26508234067-1318afce5c-b.jpg]

[Image: 26813235179-a5dd192dbf-b.jpg]

[Image: hrd-2.jpg]

And if you have a need for speed

I flew in a 1927 Waco many years back. The guy who owned it gave rides at a local airport to help pay for its upkeep. 

I think he just needed an excuse to go fly it. 

Heck of a memory....and at $400,000, it will most likely stay a memory  tinylaughing
I remember when your average Joe could afford to buy an airplane. Fuel was cheap enough that you could even fly your pride and joy on the weekends.

It has been a few years since I have come back to the states but one of my friends who owns a big hanger (has six aircraft that rent space from him for 250 to 300 a month depending on size of the aircraft) plus his own aircraft stays in his hanger. Fuel at the airport was just about $5.00 a gallon, so 60 gallons would set you back $300 big ones.

An engine overhaul got to be stupid expensive. I blew a jug on an Continental engine. I ordered a new one for less than $1400 and was back flying within 3 days. That same jug now would cost close to $3000... I hated to see the industry die that slow death but it did for many people .

I always wanted a WW2 P-51 but with the price of fuel (in cruise you could get her back to 40 to 60 gallons an hour) and the outlandish cost of any part if something breaks I hung up that dream unless I could own a few hundred producing oil wells !

I used to fly all over the south doing airshows and I was even sponsored or paid to go to many shows. It got to the point where it was a losing proposition. Maintenance (I did almost all of my own), insurance, and hanger space just got so expensive that I finally said "For sale " and got out of general aviation. My first aircraft I paid $4700 and sold it for $7500 after I cleaned it up.. There were several to follow until my last aircraft was sold for $98,000.  I absolutely loved that bird but it was time to get out IMO.

I am glad I lived when I did and was able to do the things that brought me a great deal of satisfaction and happiness.
(08-28-2020, 11:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: I remember when your average Joe could afford to buy an airplane. Fuel was cheap enough that you could even fly your pride and joy on the weekends.

It has been a few years since I have come back to the states but one of my friends who owns a big hanger (has six aircraft that rent space from him for 250 to 300 a month depending on size of the aircraft) plus his own aircraft stays in his hanger. Fuel at the airport was just about $5.00 a gallon, so 60 gallons would set you back $300 big ones.

An engine overhaul got to be stupid expensive. I blew a jug on an Continental engine. I ordered a new one for less than $1400 and was back flying within 3 days. That same jug now would cost close to $3000... I hated to see the industry die that slow death but it did for many people .

I always wanted a WW2 P-51 but with the price of fuel (in cruise you could get her back to 40 to 60 gallons an hour) and the outlandish cost of any part if something breaks I hung up that dream unless I could own a few hundred producing oil wells !

I used to fly all over the south doing airshows and I was even sponsored or paid to go to many shows. It got to the point where it was a losing proposition. Maintenance (I did almost all of my own), insurance, and hanger space just got so expensive that I finally said "For sale " and got out of general aviation. My first aircraft I paid $4700 and sold it for $7500 after I cleaned it up.. There were several to follow until my last aircraft was sold for $98,000.  I absolutely loved that bird but it was time to get out IMO.

I am glad I lived when I did and was able to do the things that brought me a great deal of satisfaction and happiness.

What do ya think about these though.  Would you put your feet on the pedals and take the stick in hand and launch??

I had no idea you came back to the States.  Was that a permanent relocation?
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-28-2020, 11:03 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: I remember when your average Joe could afford to buy an airplane. Fuel was cheap enough that you could even fly your pride and joy on the weekends.

What do ya think about these though.  Would you put your feet on the pedals and take the stick in hand and launch??

I had no idea you came back to the States.  Was that a permanent relocation?

They have actually been in production for a long time as I seem to remember a Waco showing up at some of the fly-ins I attended. I think it is an easier plane to fly that the darn Stearman which got the contract from the Army Air corps for a trainer. The Stearman was bad about ground looping unless you stay on top of your game when landing and take-off (anytail dragger can get you but the Stearman seemed to be more prone than most. Both aircraft would be more appealing to me if you could convert noise into speed and comfort !! hahah

As far as me flying a Waco sure, but would I want one.. NO... I am more into speed at cruise besides being able to pull "Gs" when I feel like it. But alas I am to old to do this kinda stuff anymore and it would take me a few months to build up my "G" tolerance if ever?

The Xtra could pull more "Gs" than a person can stand without Structural damage both positive and negative.

This was like my Last swift only mine broke the world speed record doing 314MPH at 12,000 Feet with a gas turbine engine.

When I owned the Swiftfire I had an IO360 continental engine that was modified to produce more power and the bird was not airspeed restricted as most Swifts are. I typically cruised at 190 knots TAS and during shows I would get the bird up to 250 indicated. The red line on a stock swift is 189 and is limited on the amount of "Gs" you can pull which I believe was 4.5.

In the Swiftfire I would pull 5.5 Gs regularly during a show. Never popped a rivet or had structural problems. The Swiftfire was the test bed for the Swiftfury. There were big plans but it was finally decided that a $230,000 base price for a two seat tail dragger aircraft would have a limited market share so the Swiftfury never went into production. 

The yearly airshow at Lakeland Florida used to be a big deal as far as airshow and fly-in to show what everyone was working on or had. War birds, antiques, Experimental, you name it was there. Just like Oshkosh

Yes Snarl I moved over seas permanently 12 years ago after selling everything I owned in the states. I have so far never regretted that decision. I have been back to the states twice in the last 12 years and the last time (4 years ago ?) we planned on staying 3 months. After a month I/we were ready to come home. We had a great time playing golf and seeing friends and family but... I felt like we were getting ripped off due to the price of just about everything...and I ain't poor. hahha

After seeing some of the stuff going on around the world I think me living here was a lucky happenstance. 10 minutes to the golf course and 20 minutes to get to town. I live in the country/sticks/far away from government entanglements.

I have never felt the need to have a CHL here and the government wouldn't let me anyway but I think my wife could ? I sold all my guns back in the states except for my 9mm personal carry just in case I return to the states. I figure I will die here one day but life is so good I am not in a hurry to see what comes next...hahahah
(08-29-2020, 06:39 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:03 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: I always wanted a WW2 P-51 but with the price of fuel (in cruise you could get her back to 40 to 60 gallons an hour) and the outlandish cost of any part if something breaks I hung up that dream unless I could own a few hundred producing oil wells !

Would you put your feet on the pedals and take the stick in hand and launch??

The yearly airshow at Lakeland Florida used to be a big deal as far as airshow and fly-in to show what everyone was working on or had. War birds, antiques, Experimental, you name it was there. Just like Oshkosh  

After seeing some of the stuff going on around the world I think me living here was a lucky happenstance. 10 minutes to the golf course and 20 minutes to get to town. I live in the country/sticks/far away from government entanglements.

I have never felt the need to have a CHL here and the government wouldn't let me anyway but I think my wife could ? I sold all my guns back in the states except for my 9mm personal carry just in case I return to the states. I figure I will die here one day but life is so good I am not in a hurry to see what comes next...hahahah

My dad and I went to see the military airshow @ Cherry Point shortly before he passed.  It's a fond memory.  And, isn't that what life is for?  Making memories?

I thought you might have given up the ex-pat life.  Must've read it wrong.  I would've been surprised if you had.

I got 'over there' once on my last tour in Korea.  A good friend was taking command of a medical science activity there.  It was short duration and I 'had to take' the wife with me (reputation of the place and whatnot).  Was gonna let you know I'd be in the neighborhood ... but ... a true regret.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!