Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Save the Children Report on Girls Ranks U.S. 32nd Out of 144 Countries
Well, who woulda thunk it, eh?  Kazakhstan ahead of the US in a league table - very nice!

But seriously, this is a bit worrying, imo.  In some countries, eg Bangladesh, Pakistan they have had female leaders for many years, and yet some people say it is a Third World/backward country.

Quote:The United States has finished behind countries including Algeria and Kazakhstan in a new ranking of the best and worst countries in which to be a girl.

The report compiled by Save the Children suggested Sweden was the best place for young females to live. Niger finished at the bottom. The U.S. was rated 32nd on the 144-country list.

Not all rich countries are doing as well as they could for their girls, according to the non-governmental organization. It singled out the U.S. in particular.

"There are things where we do not shine on the U.S. side," said Carolyn Miles, president and CEO of Save the Children. One major example she pointed to was female representation in national government.

The rankings are based on a series of five factors the organization selected as key predictors of the ability for girls to thrive — rates of early marriage, adolescent fertility, maternal mortality, women in government and lower secondary school completion.

"The Girls' Opportunity Index provides a snapshot of the situation of girls in countries the world over — their opportunity to control their own lives and to fulfil their potential," the report states. "While it is impossible to capture the full range of barriers that are holding girls back in life in a single index, we have sought to identify issues that provide insights into the some of the most extreme violations of girls' rights, which stem from deeply entrenched discriminatory norms as well as from economic and political barriers."

The U.S. was hurt by relatively high rates of teenage pregnancy and maternal mortality compared to other countries in the same income bracket.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/save-c...44-n663666
Quote:Save the Children's report comes weeks before the U.S. could elect its first female president.

So, what does that mean?
That people are supposed to vote for Hillary just because she would be the first women president in the U.S. and it would "look  good"????

Not suprised really that the U.S. ranks so low.

Our government officials preach a pretty good tune, but when it comes down to actually doing anything, they come up lacking.

And for someone who has no issues accepting monies from Nations that keep women oppressed (as well as kill gays) and tried to smear the women who came forward about her husband Bill, Hillary is a poor example of someone out to "help women".

Even if she were elected President, I do not see the U.S. rankings in this list changing much.
Hillary is only out for one person, and that is herself when it concerns monetary gain.

So much for all the guilt trips over the years of "think about the children"...blah, blah, blah.
Guess they should have done more to show that they really wanted to help the children and young girls.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Those countries mentioned have some of the worst Statistics for the Treatment of Women and Children, Rape, Just To mention one!

Hillary won't be any better, she's only in this for the Notoriety and Power and Of-Course Money!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I had a look at the save the children report.

They based their stats on the following:

Quote:A new index by Save the Children ranks countries according to levels of schooling, child marriage, teen pregnancy, maternal deaths and the percentage of female MPs.

They don't consider bullying, by parents or schools, abuse, sexual abuse, mental abuse, rape, torture, sequestration, getting beatings and killed.

Algeria better than us? Just that right there takes away any credibility I could have given them.

Quote:Our latest report throws new light on the many discriminations faced by girls in 144 countries around the world.

I must be missing something. Female MPs / discriminations ??....the heck does that have to do with saving a child??

tinysure
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(10-12-2016, 01:14 PM)Sol Wrote: I must be missing something. Female MPs / discriminations ??....the heck does that have to do with saving a child??

tinysure

It's a 'pushed' narrative based on the fact that certain parties see it as a 'A Man's World'

There are those who believe in one of your earlier comments that a person should
obtain the position because that person has a vagina and not on their merit.
It's deemed it's just not fair.

A vehicle such as 'Save The Children' is an ideal place to insert one's beliefs because
children are girls as well as boys. Then, after reporting a slightly 'slanted' set of figures,
one can drive on with your own narrative of how the females in these figures are oppressed.

It happens in lots of organisations.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(10-12-2016, 01:14 PM)Sol Wrote: I had a look at the save the children report.

Quote:A new index by Save the Children ranks countries according to levels of schooling, child marriage, teen pregnancy, maternal deaths and the percentage of female MPs.

They don't consider bullying, by parents or schools, abuse, sexual abuse, mental abuse, rape, torture, sequestration, getting beatings and killed.

Algeria better than us? Just that right there takes away any credibility I could have given them.

Quote:Our latest report throws new light on the many discriminations faced by girls in 144 countries around the world.

I must be missing something. Female MPs / discriminations ??....the heck does that have to do with saving a child??

tinysure

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Mark Twain'

I agree that this is a sensationalist report and doubt there is much validity to these placements but I thought the article was interesting for a discussion.
(10-13-2016, 02:32 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote:
(10-12-2016, 01:14 PM)Sol Wrote: I had a look at the save the children report.

tinysure

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Mark Twain'

I agree that this is a sensationalist report and doubt there is much validity to these placements but I thought the article was interesting for a discussion.

Oh it is an interesting topic ! Actually, this report is all over the net right now with different titles, including some that use that report to claim which countries are the safest for girls, which is actually a total misinterpretation of the report itself.

Funny how the medias change things to sensationalize and distort the truth.

What else is new... : )
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
The Media Lies, That's what they do. Right now they are lying to protect anything that is attached to Hillary.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]