Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Age of Vertical Farming
[Image: cdc25db883054d989fc1a6007b01b743.png]

• Vertical farming is turning out to be nearly 10 times more efficient than traditional agriculture.
  • The development is being described as an agricultural evolution as opposed to a revolution.

Farming Evolution

Quote:The world population is currently ballooning, and the problem is only expected to get worse as the decades go by. With the world population expected to be 11 billion by 2100, how are we going to feed more of these hungry mouths?

Part of the answer will definitely be changing the way we grow our food. And a new trend is expected to assist on that front—vertical farming.

Vertical farming doesn’t promise to radically change the way we farm, only make it more efficient, productive, and take up less space. An example is Urban Crops, a new startup that grows plants using a mixture of indoor farming techniques and hydroponics. Their facility is in Waregem, in eastern Belgium. Here, plants grow under a purple light delivered by LED lamps. The light is a mixture of blue and red lamps that seems to create the optimal conditions for growth.

Source

[Image: dd8585519f864939899522e0019cc90a.png]

Quote:Those plants are fed with a hydroponic system that delivers water laced with special minerals and nutrients.

The whole system can turn a 50 square meter space (540 square feet) into 500 square meters of usable farm space. Their 30 square meter (323 square feet) facility is able to produce 220 lettuce plants every day, using only 5% of the water needed in traditional farming.

What an interesting way to farm, even better that it does not take up a lot of land space, albeit odd looking going UP.

Quote:The biggest facility right now is a 14,164 square meter (3.5 acre) facility in Newark, New Jersey, run by Aerofarms. This facility can produce up to 2 million pounds of fresh, leafy greens a year, and is equivalent to 139,931 square meters (13,000 acres) of actual farmland.

Wow, 3.5 acres with stacked farming, compared to what would be equivalent to 13,000 acres the normal way of farming.

Looks like even Target is going to partner up with one of these vertical farmers...

Quote:Meanwhile, Target has revealed a partnership with MIT to bring vertical farming techniques to stores. The partnership wants in-store vertical farms, that will make supermarket-bought produce fresher and, possibly, healthier.

Pretty cool!
Especially if the produce if fresher and healthier.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Cool!  minusculethumbsup2 First I've heard of it.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(10-11-2016, 03:36 AM)guohua Wrote: Cool!  minusculethumbsup2 First I've heard of it.

I know!
First I've heard of it too.

I can see it's potential tho, helping with the environment, taking up less space all the while giving consumers nice fresh produce.

Not sure what the pricing on their produce is compared to regular farming, but one would think it would be wouldn't be too much higher.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

They been doing that here in japan for a good 20 years now ...... even singapore had it for last five years ....  you lot are slow over there ....
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(10-11-2016, 05:41 AM)Daitengu Wrote: They been doing that here in japan for a good 20 years now ...... even singapore had it for last five years ....  you lot are slow over there ....

Yeah, yeah, yeah....pfffft.   minusculetongue

Guess better late than never, huh.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'