Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[HAL2016] CRAZY
CRAZY

“I’m NOT CRAZY!! This really happened!!”

Were it not for the strangely vulnerable and serious look on Gordi’s face, everyone around the camp fire would have blown off his statement as yet another one of the big fella’s pranks.
But, this was different somehow, he was... trembling, his eyes glassing over – pleading for re-assurance.

“OK, I’ll bite” Came a voice from the other side of the fire, “How could this have REALLY happened? – Spill!”

So Gordi took one long, slow, hard look at the peering faces, flickering in the shadowy orange glow of the fire-light, and gradually sat back down to begin his explanation of the events that had unfolded.

“It all started right after we arrived, there was a.... feeling that something wasn’t quite right, you know?
A heavy silence hung over the place, and it’s usually so full of birdsong and frogs croaking. I remember stopping and twisting my head around, looking... listening for a clue as to what was going on.

“Calm before the storm?” I remember thinking to myself.

We parked just over there, down by the stream – but you know what?? I can’t even remember hearing the water running over the rocks, it was sooooo quiet!
We quickly set up camp and I went off to get some fire wood, but nearly crapped myself when I snapped a twig under my own foot! It was THAT quiet.

We had only brought the most basic food rations as we were going to forage for nuts, berries and mushrooms which are all great at this time of year, so some of the guys went out to see what they could find.
When they came back, we handed out the berries and stuff and I made a big pot of soup from the mushrooms while someone else cracked open the beers.
It was shortly after eating our soup that things got a bit... weirder.

We had gathered around the campfire – just like we’re doing now, and for some reason, everything seemed to be happening in ultra slow-motion?
People took forever to speak a word or two, the flames of the fire seemed to slowly dip and sway rather than flicker. It was like slipping into another dimension or something.
It got slower and slower until everything eventually ground to a complete stop.

There was no movement or sound, we felt paralysed, unable to breathe, it was terrifying!

It was then that we found ourselves bathed in a blindingly bright light!
It was coming from directly above us, but seemed to penetrate everything... I could see the bones of the person sitting across from me, the blood in their veins, it was like watching a living X-Ray picture – it was horrible.
It felt a bit like Sleep Paralysis, I was completely unable to move, but could feel, see and sense everything that was going on around me, and it felt disgusting, dark and very, very Evil.

The next thing I remember is a feeling of weightlessness, of floating up into the air. Everyone else disappeared from my view, the now stationary flames of the fire, the smoke, the treetops... all disappeared as I rose above them.
Finally, my body seemed to relax from its rigour and my eyes closed.

I think I must have fallen asleep, because I can’t remember what happened next, but when I awakened, it was to the sounds of screaming!
I gritted my teeth and slowly opened my eyes and there, scattered all around me was a tangled mass of blood, guts and gore. The stench was unbearable, like a putrid sewer. There were limbs, bones, hair, Oh My God! There was even stuff I recognised as coming from one of my friends... the Rogue Nation T-Shirt they had won in the story contest was floating blood-soaked among the gore!!

There was a sudden movement to my left and I looked up just in time to see a long curved blade swinging towards my head! I ducked and rolled off of the platform I had been lying on, and landed on my hands & knees in the remains of my friends from the camp fire...
Something hit me HARD on the back of my head, and then I blacked out.
The next thing I remember is being back here with you guys around the fire...

But, there are... less of us now? How many came up here? Can you remember??"

“The Big Guy’s finally lost the plot! Maybe the Whisky’s finally killed off his last remaining braincells!!! Hahaha!!!”

Gordi Sprang to his Feet in anger;

“I’m NOT CRAZY!! This really happened!!”

Were it not for the strangely vulnerable and serious look on Gordi’s face, everyone around the camp fire would have blown off his statement as yet another one of the big fella’s pranks.
But, this was different somehow, he was... trembling, his eyes glassing over – pleading for re-assurance.

“OK, I’ll bite” Came a voice from the other side of the fire, “How could this have REALLY happened? – Spill!”...

So Gordi took one long, slow, hard look at the peering faces, flickering in the shadowy orange glow of the fire-light, and gradually sat back down to begin his explanation of the events that had unfolded....

THE END
You had me at mushrooms  tinylaughing minusculebeercheers mediumnotlooking
Another fine tale that had me changing my underpants again!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Great story Gordi, and I loved the "ending"?   minusculethinking
OK, Gordi,,,,, “OK, I’ll bite” Came a voice from the other side of the fire, “How could this have REALLY happened? – Spill!”
tinywhat
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
oooh, thanks everyone... I wrote this all in one go... and had NO IDEA where I was going with it!!!

I seemed to wander towards "killer in the woods" then veered off into possible "dodgy mushrooms!" with a big detour towards "alien abduction" before finally having a "stuck in a loop" time-slip experience!
I've just re-read it for the 1st time and still have no idea where I was going with it!!!!! LOL

Anyway - thanks for the lovely comments!

G
(10-09-2016, 11:44 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Great story Gordi, and I loved the "ending"?   minusculethinking

I agree ! minusculebeercheers
Great story !

It's just too bad a great Rogue-Nation T-Shirt got ruined... tinycrying

Loved the ending !

minusculebeercheers
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~