Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And They Say Robots Will Control Everything One Day...?
With technology making life easier for us here in the Western world, the idea
that it could turn against us seems ludicrous, doesn't it?

Your mobile phone doesn't make lewd calls to anyone just because it wants
to and if you were confronted with the evidence that abuse had taken place
from your phone, you wouldn't just shrug and accept that the device 'just did
it'... would you?

But:
'The pound has endured a temporary collapse in value to new 31-year lows,
sparking market chaos and a Bank of England probe.

Having traded as low as $1.26 to the dollar on Thursday it slumped to $1.18
within minutes during Asian trading - hitting $1.14 briefly at one stage according
to Thomson Reuters - a fall of up to 9%....'

Oh my, surely the brokerages must have the inside track on something terrible
happening within the European arena! These guys live-and-die on their customers'
confidences and so, they must be in the know, have the skinny on what's really
happening around the world.
It's 2016, for heaven's sake!

'...IG Markets' analyst Angus Nicholson said it "looks like it was an algorithm-driven
flash crash", adding that "given low volumes in the Asian session, it would have
forced other algorithms to join in and magnify the fall".

The Bank of England said that while it has no powers of regulation over the market,
Governor Mark Carney has asked the Bank for International Settlements to look into
the events in order to discover whether any lessons can be learned...'

SOURCE:

Luckily, the experts pitched the reason for the deficiency down to worries in the many
markets of the European decline and the frailty of the UK pound. The customers settled
and the rocky-ascent of the currency must begin again.

But what is a 'algorithm-driven flash crash'?

'...Though the crash hasn’t yet been definitively linked to algorithmic trading,
the Economist argues that the speed of last night’s drop points at software
gone haywire.

Financial algorithms—or algos to those in the trade—can be prone to high
-speed selling spirals, where a trigger point causes one piece of software
to sell, driving down prices, which in turn activates the trigger points of
another program, and so on, until things go badly wrong...'

Technologyreview.com

May I suggest that it won't be a 'Arnie Schwarzenegger'-looking robot that takes us
out at the knees, but something a little smaller.
tinyshocked
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Quote:May I suggest that it won't be a 'Arnie Schwarzenegger'-looking robot that takes us
out at the knees, but something a little smaller.
[Image: tinyshocked.png]

I couldn't agree more. Before I worry about a robot chasing me from my home to an autonomous paddy wagon programmed to drive me to the nearest "human energy recycling facility"...

I worry about little things like that. Our power grid being online, nuclear weaponry a short-circuit away from catastrophe (i know it's not that simple, but still), nuclear power plants built on the oceans (missed one big time @"Mystic Wanderer" ), and now entire profiles of generations of people available online (most of it voluntarily) for the world to see. 

Credit companies, food companies, drug companies, banks, voting, material possessions, all of it governed by an "algo" if you will. The robot overlords wouldn't even have to lift a finger to bring us down.
I Also couldn't agree more.
This Technology should be used on Planets we wish to Terraform and build Colonies on to prep the way for Humans.
But Most Importantly, A Kill Switch.

Here on Earth with Robots in Control, we become nothing more than Wards Of The State or Worse, Wards Of The Robots.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
They couldnt bollox things up any worse than politicians .... governments ..... lawyers and religious nuts have ....
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(10-09-2016, 09:23 AM)Daitengu Wrote: They couldnt bollox things up any worse than politicians .... governments ..... lawyers and religious nuts have ....

That's true, D... I stand corrected!

When today's machines screw up it's because we failed to cover all possible outcomes,
when tomorrow's machines realise the possible outcomes, they'll see that it's us that
are the screw-ups!!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.