Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Physics Breakthrough: Quantum Cat State Finally Captured on Camera
Well, it looks like Schrödinger's cat is alive and well, or is he??

Well, this sounds cool and it would probably be even cooler if I could understand half of what it is saying, and the physics behind it.

It also sounds scary to me, I have visions of lots of Dr Frankensein's around the world carrying out weird and whacky experiments behind closed door.

If anyone thinks that cloning started and ended with Dolly the sheep, think again - that technology has doubtless been continued, both officially and unofficially, and it is the unofficial tests that scare me.

Quote:In brief -

A breakthrough experiment captured in a movie one of quantum physics' most bizarre demonstrations of the nature of subatomic particles: Schrödinger's cat. This may help us understand molecular behavior better, and how they affect living systems.

Demonstrating Quantum Effects
A new study by a team of scientists from Stanford University has captured the “cat state” in action (or inaction), in a highly detailed stop-motion movie showing the inner workings of simple iodine molecules. The study has been accepted for publication by Physical Review Letters.

The phenomena captures lasts for just 30 millionths of a billionth of a second. The Stanford scientists used optical green X-ray laser light to zap a two-molecule iodine atom. This sudden burst of energy split the atom into two, one was in an excited state and the other was not, but both existing simultaneously — the “cat state.” Although true for any molecule when zapped with lasers, this is the first time this phenomenon was clearly seen and recorded.

The “cat state” molecules were exposed to a second burst of X-ray light, which caused the excited and non-excited version of the molecule to scatter and then recombine. The X-ray image created looked like hologram of concentric rings.

BLT
OK, I'm wondering,,,, WHY!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(09-27-2016, 03:46 AM)guohua Wrote: OK, I'm wondering,,,, WHY!

I was wondering ... What???

As I barely understood it.