Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Protests erupt after fatal officer-involved shooting in Charlotte, N.C.
[Image: 806ca0fe9de647df9a5bdd4b36b00d5c.png]

Quote:CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

A man was pronounced dead after an officer-involved shooting in northeast Charlotte Tuesday afternoon, according to police. Hours later a large crowd had gathered near the scene in protest, sparking clashes with police and tear gas being deployed.

There were reports that at least 15 officers suffered injuries during the protests. All are expected to be OK.

The shooting happened around 4 p.m. at The Village at College Downs apartment complex on the 9600 block of Old Concord Road. Officers said they were searching for a person with an outstanding warrant when they saw a man get out of a vehicle with a firearm.

When the man, later identified as 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott, got back into the vehicle, the officers approached. The report states Scott then got back out of the vehicle "armed with a firearm and posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers who subsequently fired their weapon striking the subject."

The officers said they immediately requested MEDIC and began performing CPR. Scott was then taken to Carolinas Medical Center where he was pronounced deceased a short time later.

Police said a firearm "the subject was holding at the time of the shooting" was recovered at the scene, and that detectives were interviewing witnesses to the incident.

"I don’t believe [the man shot] was the one with the warrants, but we don’t know if there was a connection," CMPD Chief Kerr Putney told reporters. "At this point all we know they’re in the apartment complex parking lot and this subject gets out with a weapon, they engage him and one of the officers felt a lethal threat and fired his weapon because of that."

News Source

And of course, the family denies the allegations.

Quote:A woman claiming to be Scott's daughter live streamed the scene on Facebook for more than an hour after the shooting.

In the video, she said her father was unarmed when he was shot.

She said Scott was sitting in his vehicle reading a book and waiting for the school bus to drop off his son. In the video, she is heard saying police came up to him, yelled for him to get his hands up and broke open the car window.

She claims he was Tasered and then shot four times. In the video, she said her father was disabled, didn't have a gun and was even scared of them.

Conflicting stories for sure.

Hate to say this, but too many times friends/families try to turn the person (victim) into a saint, when they are just the opposite, fighting with the cops, pulling a gun on them or grabbing a cops gun.
Both are no-no's and a sure fire way of getting shot. (((duh)))

Sad to see another person killed by LEO tho.
Not sure why they can't aim for their legs/knees instead of a kill shot.

Just goes to show --- that as blacks fear the cops. The cops fear the blacks.
It's a no-win situation for either.

No cop wants his life destroyed, and that is what will happen. Has happened to others.
No cop wakes up and says, "hey I'm gonna kill a black person today" despite what many people think and try to spin.

If blacks do not want to be put in that precarious situation involving cops, then do not put yourself in one.

I was taught that as a kid....'don't get yourself into a situation that you cannot get out of'.
Of course, it wasn't pertaining to the law, but still, the same principle applies.

I hope they can get this incident investigated without too much rioting and burning down of the town.
Protests are good.
The violence that usually follows, destroying businesses is not.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Violent Protests Erupt in Charlotte After Deadly Police Shooting

Quote:At least two demonstrators and several police officers have been injured after protests erupted following a deadly police shooting in Charlotte, North Carolina on Tuesday.

Officers in riot gear deployed tear gas into a crowd of protesters after individuals targeted police cruisers, ABC affiliate WSOC-TV Charlotte reported.

Early Tuesday morning the unrest raged on as a group of people blocked traffic on I-85. A live video feed from a WSOC-TV helicopter hovering above the scene appeared to show people removing items from the back of trucks on the highway.

The scene on I-85 appeared to devolve into looting, with people pulling items from tractor-trailers and burning boxes.

As I said before in another thread, WTH does looting have to do with the police???
Not a damn thing -- other than acting like a thug, stealing shit that does not belong to them.

Stopping semi's and breaking into them, burning them-- yeah, right-- that has a lot to do with the police shooting /sarcasm.

That is the shit that pisses me off about these so-called protests.....pfffft.
And yet they expect for people to "respect" them? ROFLMAO

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(09-21-2016, 08:12 AM)senona Wrote: As I said before in another thread, WTH does looting have to do with the police???
Not a damn thing -- other than acting like a thug, stealing shit that does not belong
to them...

It's indicative of poverty, not race and that's the real problem here.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(09-21-2016, 09:00 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 08:12 AM)senona Wrote: As I said before in another thread, WTH does looting have to do with the police???
Not a damn thing -- other than acting like a thug, stealing shit that does not belong
to them...

It's indicative of poverty, not race and that's the real problem here.

True that.

But still, there is no excuse for tearing other people's shit up over what the police did.
The two things are not related.

Just some people use that as an excuse to do as they please.

What's that old saying...."2 wrongs don't make a right"
And yet the ones they are hurting (the truck drivers for instance, looting and burning their trailers) have nothing to do with the situation at hand.

THAT is my issue.
Rich or poor, they should know better.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(09-21-2016, 10:28 AM)senona Wrote: The two things are not related.
Just some people use that as an excuse to do as they please.

What's that old saying...."2 wrongs don't make a right"
And yet the ones they are hurting (the truck drivers for instance, looting and burning their trailers) have
nothing to do with the situation at hand.

THAT is my issue.
Rich or poor, they should know better.
Oh I agree, I would that thought these folk would have realised that their behavior
would cast a bad mark against their loosely-organised group.

The poverty factor only comes into play when one looks at crime without looking
at race. A point that Black Lives Matter seem to ignore. If most black neighbourhoods
live at an accepted poverty level, then it could be agreed that there is a connection.
In my humble opinion.

Sadly, this current bout of reality doesn't reflect this.

But there it is again, the chance to steal from someone and any highfalutin moral
principle goes out of the window... just like the TV and anything else they can get
their hands on!

It's the same old song, If I'm only doing wrong if I get caught doing it and if nobody
sees me doing it.

'Police say the deceased man had a gun, but a woman claiming to be his daughter
says he was unarmed and scared of weapons.

Several police officers have been injured during violent protests following the fatal
shooting of a black man in North Carolina.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department tweeted that "approximately 12 officers"
had been injured during the violence. One of them, it said, had been hit in the face with
a rock. 

Footage from the scene showed a police car being rocked by protesters as a man
stood on its roof. TV pictures also showed officers using tear gas to break up the crowd.
Riot police clashed with protesters shouting "Black lives matter" and "hands up,
don't shoot!".

[Image: attachment.php?aid=515]

A TV news crew was forced to withdraw from the area after protesters began rocking their
van and images showed damaged patrols cars at the scene.
Jennifer Roberts, Mayor of Charlotte, tweeted: "The community deserves answers and a
full investigation will ensure."

The protests came after a man was shot dead by police in Charlotte on Tuesday afternoon.
Police spokesman Keith Trietley said officers went to an apartment building looking for a
suspect who had an outstanding warrant. 
On their arrival, he said, they saw a black man get out of a car with a gun, before getting
back in the vehicle...'
SOURCE:

So were the TV crew involved in the shooting...? No, they were just probably white or more
poignant, deemed part of the system.

That system is seen as a place where no person of colour can reach, it's full of wealth and luxury.
The only down-side to this is that it's not true as Obama, Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice and
countless others can testify to.
And obviously, this magical place doesn't exist.

One can't apply serious causes and effects when all these protesters see is an opportunity to
berate the Police and vandalise in the name of race.

'Black Lives Matter' were demanding that Police refrain from patrolling certain neighbourhoods
and now you know why. Looting is difficult enough without having the Law Enforcers getting in
the way and asking you to not do something your parents should've told you was wrong.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 187604d471b7424cb1926b082e221a3c.png]
Police and protesters carry a seriously wounded protester into the parking area of the the Omni Hotel during a march to protest the death of Keith Scott Sept. 21, 2016

Charlotte Protest Turns Violent, Governor Declares State of Emergency and Deploys National Guard

Quote:A prayer vigil in honor of Keith Lamont Scott turned into a violent protest Wednesday night in Charlotte, North Carolina, prompting the governor to declare a state of emergency, as riot gear-wearing police fired tear gas at demonstrators who threw bottles at police, blocked the interstate, threw objects at passing cars, jumped on vehicles, looted, vandalized a Hyatt hotel and attacked its employees.

And one of the protesters was in critical condition and on life support after being shot by another civilian.

Four police officers sustained non-life threatening injuries, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department tweeted early Thursday morning.

[Image: a958ef1fdda946cbbb08064e91864c3f.png]
Police fire tear gas as protestors converge downtown following Tuesday's police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016.

Quote:"Governor Pat McCrory has declared a State of Emergency upon the request Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney," read a statement from the governor's office. "The governor has also initiated efforts to deploy the North Carolina National Guard and the State Highway Patrol to assist local law enforcement."

Earlier in the evening, Gov. McCrory said, "Upon a very recent request of Chief Putney, the State Highway Patrol is sending in troopers to further help the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department."

Quote:Also on their way to Charlotte are officials from the White House and the Department of Justice, according to ABC affiliate WSOC, citing mayor Jennifer Roberts. And the North Carolina NAACP State Conference said in a statement "we will be in Charlotte to talk with the family, key members of the community and City leaders" on Thursday, followed by a press conference in the afternoon.

Roy Cooper, North Carolina's attorney general said in statement, "Violence will not bring justice ... We must come together as a community to get answers and find a better path forward."

And once again, they broke into Charlotte Hornets team store, which the NBA team confirmed.
The Hyatt House hotel in the city's downtown also said protesters broke the property's windows and attacked two employees.

Before midnight, protesters descended upon Interstate 277, which they blocked. According to WSOC, protesters also threw objects at passing vehicles.

I understand the protesters wanting to be heard, to get their message out.
But violence and looting is not the way.
All that does is put them in a bad light, making them appear like trouble makers.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(09-21-2016, 08:00 AM)senona Wrote: Sad to see another person killed by LEO tho.
Not sure why they can't aim for their legs/knees instead of a kill shot.

I took my LE training many years ago, in the early 80's, but all of my subsequent firearms training (had to retrain every single year when I was an armed guard) did not differ substantially. We were always taught to shoot center of mass, double tap - pop 'em in the target's chest, two at a time. There were several reasons for that. For one, that's the biggest target on a human, allowing for less misses, and you don't want misses. They waste ammo, and endanger bystanders with unstopped bullets flying around. Also, you don't want a hurt but not immobilized person down with a gun in hand and a crowd a crowd of gawkers about. Lot of them gawkers won't be gawking long if that happens - but you'll have to call extra ambulances for the injured and dead civilians you just created by not terminating the threat.

Think "wounded bear" - do you just wanna piss him off and poke him with a stick, or do you wanna put him down and end the threat?

Quote:No cop wants his life destroyed, and that is what will happen. Has happened to others.
No cop wakes up and says, "hey I'm gonna kill a black person today" despite what many people think and try to spin.

If blacks do not want to be put in that precarious situation involving cops, then do not put yourself in one.

It's not a black-white thing. The cop that dropped him was black.

Quote:I hope they can get this incident investigated without too much rioting and burning down of the town.
Protests are good.
The violence that usually follows, destroying businesses is not.

Nope, they didn't. The "rioting", as usual, has just turned into an excuse to loot. The rioters don't give a fuzzy rat's ass about another dead black guy - they only give a shit because it gives them an excuse to loot and burn.

The National Guard has been ordered in, I guess because it worked out so well at Kent State when they threw them into the fray there.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

There is a thread at ATS with a video of a white guy in a parking lot being stripped and beat in a parking lot.. Wonder what the news would have been if he had dropped all ten of the idiots ?
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1138071/pg1
(09-23-2016, 12:54 AM)727Sky Wrote: There is a thread at ATS with a video of a white guy in a parking lot being stripped and beat in a parking lot.. Wonder what the news would have been if he had dropped all ten of the idiots ?
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1138071/pg1

I'm wondering if that's not what happened to the protestor that got shot. As Forrest Gump's mama said, "stupid is as stupid does", and all I can add to that is stupid sometimes gets it's dumb ass shot for it's stupidity. For example, I happen to know a few fine young men who, if thrown into a situation where they were getting beat for no good reason, would not hesitate to "buss' a cap in yo' ass" for being on the wrong end of beating them.

End. Of.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I know as well as you all, that it is not a black-white thing.

But to hear from some of the BLM people, one would beg to differ.
And when reading some of the comments underneath various articles, I am like WTH? How do you come up with that way of thinking?

Such as the black woman from the other shooting who told the blacks not to loot black businesses, but rather go into white suburbia.
Or yanking white folks from their cars as they try to pass.
That is a black-white problem.

Many blacks feel like they are being targeted by cops due to their skin color.
Which I assume is why some want to retaliate against whites when they feel angry.
Absurd way of thinking in my book, but that is just the way it is.

It is definitely a black folks-cop thing for sure.
And as long as the BLM and the media keep bringing race into the issue, it will be about skin color regardless.

Not all, but many blacks keep referring to "had he not been black, he'd still be alive".
Not just on this tragic incident, but on ones from the past.

And deep down, that is how many feel about it.
Hence the resentment towards white folks.

Also, I had to turn the channel due to what I was hearing, how ignorant the comments were.
But a few weeks ago, Megan Kelly had a panel of people she was talking to.

2 people there were from the BLM.

The black dude said, that the Flint water contamination fiasco was designed to kill black folks.
Yes....in his mind, he really thinks that, despite what the people told them.

The black chick said that the only way to resolve the black-cop issue was to do away with the police force.
Which that definitely earned a round of moans, gasps, and 'are you kidding' remarks.

The point is.....

Many black people's way of thinking is unlike ours, because we are white.

Where we see this as a complex difficult situation that has nothing to do with skin color.....they see it as an attack on blacks. Period.
It doesn't matter if the cop was black either. He is their enemy in their eyes.

Not all blacks feel that way mind you.
But some of those who feel passionate about it do.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Prime example of media sensationalizing race in another cop shooting.
And Google news just had to put that title on top of the others.....

Nice title there Washington Post.....make sure to bring race into the situation why don't you

[Image: 471c39bacfaf429393424f33b9be0aac.png]

Could not just say "Tulsa Officer charged with manslaughter of unarmed Man"
Oh noooooo, that is too boring, not flashy enough.

We must state what skin color the people involved are ..... better for ratings I suppose.
Not to mention, stir the racial pot that is a brewing.

Yep, media itself can be a trouble maker, when there is no need to be.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

I read where this guy Scott was also released from a Texas prison after serving 8 years for shooting an unarmed black man. Under NC law, he was prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammunition. They did find a weapon with his Prints on it.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(09-23-2016, 06:41 AM)senona Wrote: ...Yep, media itself can be a trouble maker, when there is no need to be.

Here's another perfect example of this sensationalising by media outlets.
The headline from 'Tulsa World'

Tulsa police chief on fatal shooting of Terence Crutcher:
'There was no gun'

There it is, solid proof that explains everything and why Officer Betty Shelby
shot Terence Crutcher in cold-blood. That's it... it's over, huh?

However, if one reads further down the article -and if one keeps in mind that
we're talking about mature conduct in a social law-abiding situation, the account
that's implied by the headline changes slightly.

'Attorney Scott Wood, who is representing Shelby, told the Tulsa World that the
situation unfolded for nearly 2 minutes before the  video footage began.

Prior to the deadly encounter, Wood said no one was around when Shelby pulled up.

The SUV was straddling the center line with its engine running and doors open,
"so she isn't really sure what's going on," Wood said.

He said Crutcher repeatedly ignored Shelby's commands and didn't respond to her
questions.

Crutcher, he said, reached toward or into his pockets several times despite Shelby's
telling him not to do so.

Wood said Shelby, who has completed drug recognition expert training, believed
that Crutcher was acting like a person who might be under the influence of PCP.

Shelby was concerned that Crutcher kept reaching toward his pockets, Wood said,
because someone carrying a weapon will often touch it to make sure it's still there.

She drew her handgun after Crutcher walked toward the passenger side of the police
car and started to put his hand in his left pocket, Wood said.

She then radioed dispatch to report that she was with a person who wasn't complying
with her demands, he said.
"He never makes any response to her," Wood said.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=522]
Mr. Terence Crutcher.

Wood said Shelby cleared — or checked — the SUV from the driver's side and was
about to clear the passenger side when Crutcher approached from the east.

The backup officer arrived and drew his Taser, Wood said. The Taser deployment and
gunshot were simultaneous because both officers perceived the same threat, he said.

"He has his hands up and is facing the car and looks at Shelby, and his left hand goes
through the car window, and that's when she fired her shot," Wood said.

Crutcher "had his head tilted down but eyes on and fixated on her," Wood said, adding
that she said Crutcher mumbled incoherently when she asked him if the SUV belonged
to him...'
SOURCE:

Now, I suppose the questions to myself are, what would you do if you were ordered by the agreed
custodians of your country's laws to place yourself into a position that these Police deemed was
safe -not just for them, but you also?

What would I do if I'm instructed to reveal that I have no weapons hidden in my hands and
follow the requests to nullify any fears of myself being a potential threat?

What would I do if I was a Police Officer and dealing with similar -or worse situations everyday
and aware that in an instant, I could die?

What demeanour would I have when interacting with a person I have never met before and
through electronic information gathering, deem a possible, potential threat?

These questions may seem easy to answer, but in law enforcement, that wrong decision can
not only bring about a death of a human being, it can bring this...

'Tulsa police officer charged after unarmed Terence Crutcher shot dead'

Betty Shelby said that she "was in fear for her life" when she shot Terence
Crutcher but she is accused of "acting unreasonably".

[Image: attachment.php?aid=523]
Officer Betty Shelby.

A female police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man has been
charged with first-degree manslaughter, prosecutors say...

...The charge is that she "reacted unreasonably by escalating the situation
from a confrontation with Mr Crutcher, who was not responding to verbal
commands and was walking away from her with his hands held up,
becoming emotionally involved to the point that she over-reacted,"
the affidavit said...

...If convicted she could face a minimum of four years in prison.'
SOURCE:

It's a world of adults that deal with life-threatening incidents.
It's not all about social media where one person can say something that pushes
their narrative and have no real evidence.

To glorify a death is terrible, but to use it for the mere reason of ratings is just
plain sick. Where are all the grown-ups?!

(09-23-2016, 05:56 AM)senona Wrote: ...Not all blacks feel that way mind you.
But some of those who feel passionate about it do.

I agree Sen and this article (and there's some footage somewhere of this gentleman
taking part in the exercise)... shows a more realistic view than BLM.

'Black Lives Matter' Protester is Given Gun & Asked to Make Decisions
Like a Cop Would. Surprise! It's Not That Easy.'

It took less than a day for one of the more outspoken 'Hands Up, Don't Shoot,'
'Black Lives Matter' protesters to change his tune about police tactics.

Jarrett Maupin has led marches against the Phoenix Police Department for months,
most recently over the shooting of an unarmed man by police.

But when Maupin was invited by the Maricopa County Sheriffs Office to undergo
police tactical situational training, he came out a changed man.

In one scenario, Maupin, dressed in police garb and carrying a 'pistol,' was shot by
a car thief/bad guy when the thief put his hands out of view and came up with a gun.

In another, Maupin tried to talk two men out of fighting when one man stalked toward
him and Maupin shot him:
"Hey, he rushed me... I shot because he was in that zone, I didn't see him armed, he
came clearly to do some harm to my person. It's hard to make that call; it shakes you
up."

Ironically, this is almost precisely the same situation that led Darren Wilson to shoot
Michael Brown, according to forensic evidence.

In the third scenario, a burglar refused to comply when Maupin tried to arrest him and
obtain what the bad guy had tucked in his waistband.

As Maupin told Fox 10 Phoenix:
"I need you to keep your hands up, sir, I need to check what's in the waistband."

No shots were fired, but there was a knife in the waistband.
Maupin took to Twitter to give the cops props, but fellow protesters didn't like what he
had to say and accused him of going all PC...'
SOURCE:

Oddly enough -and it's seen on the linked page, some Black Lives Matter protesters disagreed with
him and saw it as a political move! I'm not a member, but it seems the world of Twitter is a realm
where you can be king and never... ever wrong.
Thanks BIAD for sharing that story.
Pretty cool actually, that Maupin got to see what cops go thru.

Yeah, they call Sheriff David Clarke an Uncle Tom and sellout because he speaks out against the BLM movement.
There is no winning on social media for blacks who speak out against BLM, they get slammed pretty hard.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

'I Saw a Protester Get Shot Over Nothing in Charlotte'

"What started as a peaceful demonstration against a black man killed
by police devolved into a black man shooting another black man for
no apparent reason.
It all happened right in front of me."

[Image: attachment.php?aid=524]

'CHARLOTTE, North Carolina — A second night of protests over the police
killing of a black man ended with another black man nearly killed by someone
in a crowd.

The protests started peacefully when hundreds of protesters gathered in
Marshall Park in Uptown Charlotte around 7 p.m. Wednesday night after a
police officer shot and killed Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday.

Police say Scott brandished a firearm when they entered the Village at
College Downs neighborhood to serve a warrant on another man.

Many protesters held Black Lives Matter signs and some angrily denounced
police violence with megaphones, but the protests were peaceful overall.

A group of protesters then walked to the Charlotte Police Department
headquarters before the crowds grew into the thousands, making their
way down East Trade Street to the Omni Charlotte Hotel...'
SOURCE:

'Charlotte protesters hit streets for 4th night after police shooting'

'Protesters gathered in Charlotte Friday for the fourth night of demonstrations
following the family’s release of the video of the shooting death of Keith Lamont
Scott.

Several dozen people gathered at a park and then marched through Charlotte’s
business district with signs, the Associated Press reported.

One marcher had a sign that said “Just Stop The Killing,” while another had a
banner that said “Just Release the Tapes.”

Protesters have sought the release of police footage of the shooting earlier this
week of Keith Lamont Scott by a police officer.
They were watched by National Guard members posted in front of many downtown
buildings.

Scott’s family on Friday released a two-and-a-half minute video of the shooting,
which CBS News has not authenticated.
The video does not indicate whether Scott had a gun. Police have said he was
armed, but witnesses say he held only a book. 

Scott’s wife, Rakeyia Scott, tells officers that he has a TBI, or traumatic brain injury.
At one point, she tells her husband to get out of the car so police don’t break the
windows. She also tells him, “don’t do it,” but it’s not clear exactly what she means...'
SOURCE: