Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
An Idiosyncrasy
I am drawn to broken things like a moth is to flames.

I was at a medical facility today. I saw a group of people at the coffee machine and I could tell something was wrong.

After ease dropping for a bit, I figured out they did not know how to operate the machine.

A worker came by, and they asked her to help. She looked at the machine and told them that it was not working because something had to be done to the machine to make it work, and she did not know what to do. 

She told them there was another machine on the other side of the building. Three of the people were too old to make it to the other side and back before their names were called for their appointments, so they did not go.

Now this is where my idiosyncrasy kicks in. The moment I heard someone say , "the machine is not working", I was on high alert.

A broken machine, is my greatest joy, especially if it does not belong to me. So of course I had to take a look at it.

I was not familiar with the machine, but it did not take too long to figure out the problem.

As soon as I got the machine working, it was found out there was no creamer. I could not leave them in a lurch. So I checked the cabinets. All empty. So I walked to the other side, checked the cabinets and found the stash, and brought creamer back to the other side.

Of course they all were happy to have their coffee and cream. I was happy that I was able to be of assistance, and to rescue another machine. One asked me if I worked there. I told her no, just a visitor. She said, "Too bad." "They should hire you."

I can't save them all, but I was able to save that one.

tinylaughing

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Good For You, I Love My Coffee Too  minusculegoodjob
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Lo & behold...state of emergency averted!! Though under Xiden if you had declared a state of emergency ya'll would have got funding for a new coffee maker. LOL.

I luv my coffee too.

[Image: JcG0hJz.gif]
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(06-29-2022, 09:53 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: Lo & behold...state of emergency averted!! Though under Xiden if you had declared a state of emergency ya'll would have got funding for a new coffee maker. LOL.

I luv my coffee too.

[Image: JcG0hJz.gif]

Maybe I should send them a bill.
minusculethinking

• minusculebeercheers 

Thanks for sharing your story. Good on you for doing that. Glad everyone got their coffee too. Now I want a cuppa, so hopefully my Keurig works for me.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
Explanation: Good job!

Quote:Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions. 
Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching.  As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea.  The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning!  May I ask what it is that you are doing?”
The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”
The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”
[Image: starfish11.jpg?w=150&h=104]
The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”
adapted from The Star Thrower, by Loren Eiseley (1907 – 1977)

[Image: The-starfish-story..jpg]

Personal Disclosure: Sometimes Courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says "I shall try again tomorrow!"

Coffee eh! minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
@"NightskyeB4Dawn" What was wrong with the machine?
(06-30-2022, 03:36 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Thanks for sharing your story. Good on you for doing that. Glad everyone got their coffee too. Now I want a cuppa, so hopefully my Keurig works for me.

I have to smile.

My Keurig is another salvation. I found it in a box in the trash at work. One of my co-workers had tossed it and bought another, when it stopped working.

I asked her if I could take it home and see if I could get it working again. She said sure, and I could keep it if I did get it to work. I took it home, worked on it for less than an hour. Got it working, and it has been working like a charm ever since, and that was over twelve years ago.

I figure if it is broken I can do no harm in trying to fix it. YouTube has been an valuable partner in my repair attempts, and I usually only fail when it starts to cost more to repair, than the cost of buying a new one. I don't do cars. Mostly household appliances, my wash machine, dryer, refrigerator, and my push lawn mower.

I love fixing broken things.

• minusculebeercheers 

(06-30-2022, 03:47 AM)Brotherman Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn" What was wrong with the machine?

Turned out it was very simple. I was just jammed.

I pushed a bunch of buttons and the error message went away, and some basic instructions came on the screen. I followed them, but it still didn't work. I kept getting the message to empty the bin. But I had already done that. So I put my hand in and discovered that the bin had over filled and some of the dispenser packets had gotten stuck inside.

I removed them and put the machine back together and it worked fine.

Easy peasey.

• minusculebeercheers 

(06-30-2022, 04:01 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 03:47 AM)Brotherman Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn" What was wrong with the machine?

Turned out it was very simple. I was just jammed.

I pushed a bunch of buttons and the error message went away, and some basic instructions came on the screen. I followed them, but it still didn't work. I kept getting the message to empty the bin. But I had already done that. So I put my hand in and discovered that the bin had over filled and some of the dispenser packets had gotten stuck inside.

I removed them and put the machine back together and it worked fine.

Easy peasey.
Rule of thumb for me, if I can’t fix it with a big fucking hammer then it’s obviously an electrical issue.
Words cannot adequately describe my absolute loathing of Keurig coffee machines!

There is not a hammer big enough, or an ocean deep enough, to properly "fix" a Keurig coffee machine!  I can fix about anything...except one of those gawd-forsaken pieces of mechanical excrement!

I have actually laid awake at night contemplating the design requirements to build a rocket powerful enough to launch a Keurig coffee machine directly...into the SUN! 

Running a Keurig over several hundred times with our largest field tractor is woefully insufficient.  Not even an atomic wood-chipper would be satisfying enough, or even several wood-chippers rigged in series, followed by a food processor and then putting all the pieces into a commercial juicer and then boiling the juices with a laser beam and then incinerating the vapor inside a nuclear reactor, would be enough!

Did I ever mention I don't like Keurig coffee makers???
(06-30-2022, 07:26 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Words cannot adequately describe my absolute loathing of Keurig coffee machines!

There is not a hammer big enough, or an ocean deep enough, to properly "fix" a Keurig coffee machine!  I can fix about anything...except one of those gawd-forsaken pieces of mechanical excrement!

I have actually laid awake at night contemplating the design requirements to build a rocket powerful enough to launch a Keurig coffee machine directly...into the SUN! 

Running a Keurig over several hundred times with our largest field tractor is woefully insufficient.  Not even an atomic wood-chipper would be satisfying enough, or even several wood-chippers rigged in series, followed by a food processor and then putting all the pieces into a commercial juicer and then boiling the juices with a laser beam and then incinerating the vapor inside a nuclear reactor, would be enough!

You are being too reserved.

Tell us how you really feel.

tinylaughing

• minusculebeercheers 

(06-30-2022, 07:26 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Words cannot adequately describe my absolute loathing of Keurig coffee machines!

I will make a pact with you my old (really ancient) friend! When I build my first flintlock rifle from raw materials I will use it to blow the brakes off a fucking yuppy as keuirg machine, I hate them fuckers as much as you do, I hate them fuckers almost as much as I hate Dale Earnhardts stupid fucking grin with that smug ass cunt stache. I hate those coffee machines so gawd damned much I will make a tool to destroy one while playing Raining Blood from slayer, naked....
I am a fellow sufferer of your affliction. 

Do you ever feel that is why you were was put on this Earth? To fix stuff.

Is your universe a never ending avalanche of stuff that does not do what it is supposed to? 

Are your days spent learning how the next thing works? Looking for ways and parts to make it "do what it do"? 

I would like to think I am part of small but long line of particular humans who have helped us (as a species) reach our current circumstances. Or I'm crazy. One or the other.
(07-01-2022, 11:02 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: I am a fellow sufferer of your affliction. 

Is your universe a never ending avalanche of stuff that does not do what it is supposed to? 

Are your days spent learning how the next thing works? Looking for ways and parts to make it "do what it do"? 

I would like to think I am part of small but long line of particular humans who have helped us (as a species) reach our current circumstances. Or I'm crazy. One or the oth
You made me laugh.

I have always been the odd one out. Back then they didn't call me a NERD, that was not a word yet. They called me the "Information Junkie". Or the "Go To Person". I was never content with the answer, "I don't know." If I didn't know the answer, they knew I would exhaust all avenues available to me, to find the answer.

If it's not broke, I am a strong believer, that you leave it alone, but if it is broken, then I believe even stronger, that it should be fixed, if it can be fixed.

I think the biggest problems we have on this planet is that we have been putting our hands in things that were not broken, and should have been left alone, and like always, the things we should have been trying to correct, we have ignored.

I think we are responsible for a lot of ills in this world, and I think we are all a little bit crazy.

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-01-2022, 03:19 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 11:02 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: I am a fellow sufferer of your affliction. 

I would like to think I am part of small but long line of particular humans who have helped us (as a species) reach our current circumstances. Or I'm crazy. One or the oth
You made me laugh.
I have always been the odd one out. Back then they didn't call me a NERD, that was not a word yet. They called me the "Information Junkie". Or the "Go To Person". I was never content with the answer, "I don't know." If I didn't know the answer, they knew I would exhaust all avenues available to me, to find the answer.
If it's not broke, I am a strong believer, that you leave it alone, but if it is broken, then I believe even stronger, that it should be fixed, if it can be fixed.
I think the biggest problems we have on this planet is that we have been putting our hands in things that were not broken, and should have been left alone, and like always, the things we should have been trying to correct, we have ignored.
I think we are responsible for a lot of ills in this world, and I think we are all a little bit crazy.

Amen  tinybiggrin