Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welp...Some days go as planned...and others..?
Some days go as planned, and other days, well...not so much.

Got up this morning; lots to do.  Had to get the stock trailer all ready to go to deliver a bull tomorrow morning.  Figured we'd get everything ready to go early so there were no "rodeos" before sun up trying to load a 3 year old bull.  Got hooked up, backed up the trailer to the loading alley and chute.  Seemed like a really relaxed day.

The plan was to get the bull locked in the corrals tonight, and then it would just be a simple matter of loading him up through the tub, alley and chute into the trailer in the morning tomorrow.  The bull had other ideas.

To make a long story short, the 'rodeo' we had hoped to avoid went off per the bull's plan, up to and including him deciding to declare war on a full sized diesel UTV with bull-bars, and my wife, and me.  Then to go into ultra-freakout-psycho mode where anything (and everything) was a target.

Handling adult bulls is always dangerous, but there comes a point where you have make a decision between risking a human life, or taking that of an animal. 

Tomorrow morning, well, there will not be a bull delivery.  And, I will just be waiting for the livestock recovery service to call us and tell us when they will be by to recover the carcass. 

Kind of a shame really, a 1,900 lb. animal like that, but sometimes you get the bull...and other times the bull leaves on a flatbed winch-truck (because ain't nobody gettin' the horn as long as I'm boss!)
(06-27-2022, 05:50 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Some days go as planned, and other days, well...not so much.

Got up this morning; lots to do.  Had to get the stock trailer all ready to go to deliver a bull tomorrow morning.  Figured we'd get everything ready to go early so there were no "rodeos" before sun up trying to load a 3 year old bull.  Got hooked up, backed up the trailer to the loading alley and chute.  Seemed like a really relaxed day.

The plan was to get the bull locked in the corrals tonight, and then it would just be a simple matter of loading him up through the tub, alley and chute into the trailer in the morning tomorrow.  The bull had other ideas.

To make a long story short, the 'rodeo' we had hoped to avoid went off per the bull's plan, up to and including him deciding to declare war on a full sized diesel UTV with bull-bars, and my wife, and me.  Then to go into ultra-freakout-psycho mode where anything (and everything) was a target.

Handling adult bulls is always dangerous, but there comes a point where you have make a decision between risking a human life, or taking that of an animal. 

Tomorrow morning, well, there will not be a bull delivery.  And, I will just be waiting for the livestock recovery service to call us and tell us when they will be by to recover the carcass. 

Kind of a shame really, a 1,900 lb. animal like that, but sometimes you get the bull...and other times the bull leaves on a flatbed winch-truck (because ain't nobody gettin' the horn as long as I'm boss!)
Three year old bull with 1900 pounds of meat on the hoof !! Sound like one hell of a barbecue to me !!
(06-27-2022, 06:40 AM)727Sky Wrote: Three year old bull with 1900 pounds of meat on the hoof !! Sound like one hell of a barbecue to me !!

Well, it does sound that way, but unfortunately it's not that way in reality.  First of all, the whole ordeal is a pretty high-stress situation for all involved, especially the animal, and high-stress doesn't lead to good eats when it comes to meat.  Secondly, you'd have to dress the animal immediately, and cool the meat down which, unless you have a refrigerated semi-trailer, is not an easy task, nor is handling that much meat.  Thirdly, we're talking about a 'bull' here, not a "steer", so unless that BBQ is going to be a bunch of ground meat, and somebody has a couple hogs worth of fat to mix in with it, we'd be talking about some pretty 'gamey' and ultra-lean (i.e. hardly any fat at all) meat.

Had it been a cow...or a steer...this would have been a much different story, but unfortunately it wasn't.  Adult bulls are only good for two (2) things...pardon the French, but those are fuckin' and fightin'.
(06-27-2022, 06:47 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 06:40 AM)727Sky Wrote: Three year old bull with 1900 pounds of meat on the hoof !! Sound like one hell of a barbecue to me !!

Well, it does sound that way, but unfortunately it's not that way in reality.  First of all, the whole ordeal is a pretty high-stress situation for all involved, especially the animal, and high-stress doesn't lead to good eats when it comes to meat.  Secondly, you'd have to dress the animal immediately, and cool the meat down which, unless you have a refrigerated semi-trailer, is not an easy task, nor is handling that much meat.  Thirdly, we're talking about a 'bull' here, not a "steer", so unless that BBQ is going to be a bunch of ground meat, and somebody has a couple hogs worth of fat to mix in with it, we'd be talking about some pretty 'gamey' and ultra-lean (i.e. hardly any fat at all) meat.

Had it been a cow...or a steer...this would have been a much different story, but unfortunately it wasn't.  Adult bulls are only good for two (2) things...pardon the French, but those are fuckin' and fightin'.
I totally agree but being me I would have tried for a hind quarter or something. We used to have a meat packer load and slice and dice for a sum of money or a large percentage of the meat....but alas that was back in the mid 50s. Mountain oysters at least !! hhaha
(06-27-2022, 05:50 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Some days go as planned, and other days, well...not so much.

How did you euthanise the scared Bull?
I still don't understand why the Kamikaze pilots wore helmets!
On the subject of bulls...

Quote:STADIUM DISASTER At least four killed and 500 hurt as arena stands collapse during bullfighting festival in Colombia

'At least four people were killed and hundreds injured when packed stands collapsed during a bullfighting festival.
Horror video showed the three-tier wooden framework crumbling to the ground at the improvised stadium in El Espinal, Colombia.
Several bulls fled the stadium into the streets of Tolima in fright as panicked revellers tried to help those trapped.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11572]

Nine festivalgoers were also hurt after jumping into the ring and being charged by a bull, reports infobae.
Four people have been confirmed dead, with at least 500 others injured.
A child, two woman and a man were killed in the disaster, Jose Ricardo Orozco, the governor of Tolima department, told a local
radio station.

Shocking footage shows the moment the stands - packed with hundreds of men, women and children - collapsed.
The boxes can be seen tipping forwards before smashing into the ground. Other audience members fell from other parts of the
stands after a portion caved in. Emergency crews have been sent in to rescue those stuck under the rubble.
It's unclear what caused the stands to collapse.

Major Luis Fernando Vélez, director of Civil Defense in Tolima, said: "There is a patient with serious injuries, he was taken to the
hospital in critical condition, there he was stabilised." Authorities urged people at the stadium and nearby to remain calm, reports
El Tiempo.

A statement from the Mayor's Office of Espinal said: "We deeply regret what happened in the bullring. "We want to call for calm to
the entire community. "Once the emergency became known, the relief agencies acted immediately, achieving the evacuation of the
injured for primary care at the San Rafael Hospital in the municipality." Officials are now probing the cause of the incident.

Colombia's new president Gustavo Petro has called for bullfights to be halted. He tweeted: "I hope that all the people affected by
the collapse of the Plaza de El Espinal can come out of their wounds unscathed...'
The Sun:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(06-27-2022, 08:09 AM)Rodinus Wrote: How did you euthanise the scared Bull?

5.56mm BTJHP
(06-27-2022, 05:50 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Kind of a shame really

It really is.  Sorry to hear you lost one.  Never understood ornery livestock.
(06-27-2022, 07:55 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 05:50 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Kind of a shame really

It really is.  Sorry to hear you lost one.  Never understood ornery livestock.

We rarely ever get one like that, especially with our breed, but every now and then everyone gets one.  This particular bull had failed a semen test about 45 days ago also, so there was just something wrong with this animal.  He just went nuts, and a full sized bull is nothing to mess around with; just
too dangerous!
(06-27-2022, 02:57 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 08:09 AM)Rodinus Wrote: How did you euthanise the scared Bull?

5.56mm BTJHP

minusculebeercheers
Such a waste of meat, but totally get the situation and the stress comments. I've had entire deer go "bad" seemingly from a bad kill shot that sent them running. 

Can't help but wonder if the right rub and the right smoker (i.e. mine) could've salvaged a brisket at least...

minusculebeercheers tinylaughing