Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putting God back into schools.
I got the idea from this article

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles...valde.html

Since God left the building, we've seen an uptick in violence and shootings.

I'm not much of a church-goer myself, never have been, but I think that having a moral compass that isn't based on whats trending on Facebook or Twitter would be a good start to eliminating so much violence.

Your thoughts?
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
For whatever my opinion is worth, I believe it was another critical element of structure in a young person's life. Church, more engaged schools, playing with other kids instead of sitting in front of a screen, family get-togethers, neighborhood get-togethers, etc. 

There have always been troubled kids but years ago, for better or worse, people were more connected. That kid felt he/she was a part of something whether they wanted to be there or not. The opportunity for someone to intervene was much higher as the kid was always bumping into adults. 

Growing up, everybody knew everybody on my street. All the adults knew whose kid was whose. Any problems and intervention was quick. Shoot, even all my teachers in elementary school knew my Mom and Dad on a first name basis. The news made it home before I did. 

Also, there seemed to be (at least in my experience) a healthy dose of multigenerational mixing socially. Kids were around hearing old folks talk. They learned their position in that constellation. They were not secluded to nothing more than inexperienced kids telling each other dumb s*** on the internet. 

Last thought on Church. I went to church...religiously (ahem). The school and church were part of the same building. We always had Bible classes and whatnot. Fast forward to my adult life. I witnessed many adults (nonreligious people) struggle with life lessons I learned how to keep in context as a child. Many of these adults poo-poo anything to do with faith. That's their prerogative. However, they neglect to realize a large part of many religions is teaching real life tools to deal with hard situations. Get them inculcated as a youngster and you have a leg up. No guarantees but it helps. That small margin might make the difference some day. 

As children grow up without those tools, they first get blindsided by the many events (to which they were never made aware as a possibility) and then struggle to cope with no guidance. I am torn between feeling the shooter in Texas was a monster (he was) and knowing he was at one point a child (non-monster) who was left by the wayside. His mind and soul was left to rot. We can blame poor mental health access but where was the community around that kid to begin with?
What we have today is a very self absorbed society. People have become pod people. I heard on the TV something to the affect of 85% of children don't go outside in their free time - don't know if that's true. Its a whole different world for the young today compared to what I experienced in the 70's and 80's.

I wouldn't want to be young in today's world.
ALL OUR HEROES ARE WHORES

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

ACTION ALWAYS OUTWEIGHS WORDS

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS NECESSARY
An unseen entity watching your every move and hearing your every thought who will burn your butt if you are bad is a great control mechanism for the believers.

Nothing replaces good parenting by good parents IMO.

Every child used to become a Buddhist monk for six months after graduation from school many years ago. Then the rich kids started getting out of the monk thing as they were to rich and important to wear the robes. Then others started to disregard the monk thing too. The country was kinder gentler 45 years ago. Now Tic Tok seems to guide the minds of the young yet here the parents (mostly mothers) grand parents cousins etc still make sure the kids work and have chores.. I wonder if societies have a self destruct directive which weeds out the majority to start over again; seems that way sometimes ????
(05-27-2022, 10:55 PM)beez Wrote: I got the idea from this article

I'm not much of a church-goer myself, never have been, but I think that having a moral compass that isn't based on whats trending on Facebook or Twitter would be a good start to eliminating so much violence.

Your thoughts?

The idea of God has killed more people than mankind has. So yeah, F that. Let's start over.
(05-28-2022, 05:36 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:

Your thoughts?

The idea of God has killed more people than mankind has. So yeah, F that. Let's start over.

I believe mankind has killed more people with religion than God has. The bible is inspired by God but written by man and man saw it as a tool to control the population. If anything we need to find our moral compass as a species or we are not going to make it.
WHAT THE HELL !!

Your thoughts?

That was probably part of the argument that got God removed in the first place and look at where we are.

Masturbation training is okay.

10 Commandments banned.

tinysure
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Quote:Matthew 13:9-16

9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

13 This is why I speak to them in parables: “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: “ You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

15 For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.’

16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.

Just saying.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(05-28-2022, 02:26 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

13 This is why I speak to them in parables: “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: “ You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

15 For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.’

Just saying.

This.

We now live in a world where everyone looks, but no one sees, and everyone hears, but no one listens.

so we have a generation heavy on monsters, kids that were thrown out with the trash because the people around them could not be bothered to take a few minutes out of their lives to raise them, teach them, parent them.

That produces a lot of person seeds that grow into monsters rather than persons, and we are gathering the fruit of that tree this minute.

Everyone looks at them being crazy, but no one sees it to understand it needs to be corrected before it gets out of hand. Everyone hears their screams for help, but no one can be bothered to listen to them.

You reap what you sew, and we as a society have sewn a bumper crop of monsters rather than persons. When they finally snap and act out, people come out of the woodwork saying "yeah, saw that coming". No they didn't. They looked, but saw nothing they could be bothered to address. Damn their eyes, they looked without seeing.

The only people that bother to "teach" them have nothing of value to teach them, nothing to tell them that will actually anchor them in reality or society.

You can't grow grapes by planting poison ivy vines.

Just wait until the next generation of that poison fruit comes of age. You ain't seen nothin' yet. It compounds over generations, as each new one has less and less to anchor it, and so fewer anchors to pass on to the next to equip their moral compasses with.

Removing guns from their grasp will only make them more inventive as they cast about looking for new means to destroy. Watering their roots as they grow is the problem, not pruning their branches after they have grown.

They have been cast adrift, unanchored, and will grasp at anything available to avoid drowning... and it's usually a rock that carries them to the bottom that they fasten on to. Say what you will about religion, but it at least gives folks something to anchor to, something that gives them a hope for not drowning.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". This is what society is training them to do these days, and then society acts all shocked when they do what they have been trained to do. It boggles the mind.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-28-2022, 07:05 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 02:26 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Just saying.

This.

We now live in a world where everyone looks, but no one sees, and everyone hears, but no one listens.

so we have a generation heavy on monsters, kids that were thrown out with the trash because the people around them could not be bothered to take a few minutes out of their lives to raise them, teach them, parent them.

That produces a lot of person seeds that grow into monsters rather than persons, and we are gathering the fruit of that tree this minute.

Everyone looks at them being crazy, but no one sees it to understand it needs to be corrected before it gets out of hand. Everyone hears their screams for help, but no one can be bothered to listen to them.

You reap what you sew, and we as a society have sewn a bumper crop of monsters rather than persons. When they finally snap and act out, people come out of the woodwork saying "yeah, saw that coming". No they didn't. They looked, but saw nothing they could be bothered to address. Damn their eyes, they looked without seeing.

The only people that bother to "teach" them have nothing of value to teach them, nothing to tell them that will actually anchor them in reality or society.

You can't grow grapes by planting poison ivy vines.

Just wait until the next generation of that poison fruit comes of age. You ain't seen nothin' yet. It compounds over generations, as each new one has less and less to anchor it, and so fewer anchors to pass on to the next to equip their moral compasses with.

Removing guns from their grasp will only make them more inventive as they cast about looking for new means to destroy. Watering their roots as they grow is the problem, not pruning their branches after they have grown.

They have been cast adrift, unanchored, and will grasp at anything available to avoid drowning... and it's usually a rock that carries them to the bottom that they fasten on to. Say what you will about religion, but it at least gives folks something to anchor to, something that gives them a hope for not drowning.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". This is what society is training them to do these days, and then society acts all shocked when they do what they have been trained to do. It boggles the mind.

You gathered it all together in a neat little ball, and presented it well.

We are indeed harvesting a crop that we seeded, planted, and cultivated. And here we are right now, bitching and complaining about the quality of the fruit that we raised. 

I look at the children in my family, community, and my job, and I shake my head. I see how their parents interact with them, or fail to interact with them, and again I shake my head.

Just on Wednesday I was in a government building assisting my Mother with processing the information needed for renewing her passport. There were a number of people that had brought their children with them. Everyone of them, from the ones that could not walk or even talk, to pre-schoolers, every one of them with a cell phone or a tablet in front of their faces.

We have failed them miserably.

• minusculebeercheers 

Been sitting here thinking about this. Why now? Why only in America? Why is there an exponential increase at this current time in the US?

For several years now in the US, the Party of Hatred and Fear have been preaching their hatred and fear. Kids are like sponges, and they soak up whatever you teach them. If you only teach them hatred and fear, never balancing that out with any hope, that is what they will learn and act upon. I think it is possible that this is a misguided attempt by these kids (who are likely unstable to begin with due to factors mentioned in my previous post) to generate their own hope that is not being supplied to them, an effort to "do something" to make it better based upon what they are being force fed daily.

Now, the Party of Hatred and Fear are screaming "Nonono! It's the GUNS, idiot! It's because the GUNS are so freely available in America. I hate guns, and I fear guns - if we just get rid of them, everything will get all better!" But would it, really? Would it really get better when all they are feeding the kids is hatred, fear, and servitude? Is it really just the availability of guns in the US? I think not.

I firmly believe that since the collapse of the Soviet Union, guns have been just as freely available in Russia, and yet they don't experience the same phenomena. I recall that in 1996, I could buy an American made AR-15 in Russia that I could not legally buy in America, the nation of it's birth and manufacture... and the demand was so high in Russia that there was a 4 month long waiting list.

Firearms are also freely available in a small number of other places around the globe, yet they do not suffer the same problems as the US... so is it really "just the guns"? What else is different?

The Party of hatred and Fear, that's what is different. The party of No Hope and No Change, and their preaching to young minds being molded.

That is the main difference I see, and I think that may be a good place to start looking for root causes.

Maybe they can get good ol' Heels-Up Harris right on that root cause, eh? After all, she did a helluva job with getting at the root cause of the border invasion, didn't she? No, wait....

ETA: I think they are barking up the wrong tree in going after implements rather than reduction of perpetrators. As history shows, the absence of implements of destruction do not lessen violence, as perpetrators thereof will always find a way. A mere 19 men armed only with box cutters threw the entire US into a 20 year war costing thousands of lives and trillions of dollars, and nary a shot was fired in that catalyst event.

So they, the party in power, have no intention of addressing violent people. It is built right into their lexicon - "gun violence" rather than simply "violence" - it's just an attempt to shift the blame to an inanimate object and away from the pet criminals they are creating to cow the rest of us with. They seem instead to have a vested interest in creating more of them, while simultaneously disarming their victims all in a effort to maintain and increase their power over us peons using criminals as a bludgeon. That will backfire. Eventually, when crime is bad enough and no one is any longer able to defend themselves from it, the same peons WILL find a way to remove the power from the despots who created that situation. It's a matter of self-preservation at that point.

History shows that to always happen, too.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-28-2022, 08:42 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: You gathered it all together in a neat little ball, and presented it well.

We are indeed harvesting a crop that we seeded, planted, and cultivated. And here we are right now, bitching and complaining about the quality of the fruit that we raised. 

I look at the children in my family, community, and my job, and I shake my head. I see how their parents interact with them, or fail to interact with them, and again I shake my head.

Just on Wednesday I was in a government building assisting my Mother with processing the information needed for renewing her passport. There were a number of people that had brought their children with them. Everyone of them, from the ones that could not walk or even talk, to pre-schoolers, every one of them with a cell phone or a tablet in front of their faces.

We have failed them miserably.

Yup, that is another contributing factor.

As @"Abnarty" said above:

Quote:Also, there seemed to be (at least in my experience) a healthy dose of multigenerational mixing socially. Kids were around hearing old folks talk. They learned their position in that constellation. They were not secluded to nothing more than inexperienced kids telling each other dumb s*** on the internet.

Ignorance is a vacuum, and it seeks answers. In the absence of wiser, more experienced heads to educate and provide those answers, Ignorance will fins it's own answers, usually having to make them up on the spot, and then distribute them to other inquiring minds in the effort to fill the vacuum of ignorance. The internet makes that dispersal and dissemination far easier in the modern world than it once was - "inexperienced kids telling each other dumb s*** on the internet. "

What makes it even worse is the "Party of Hatred, Fear, and No Hope" ramps them up even more with a special brand of "disinformation" - a brand that we used to call "lies and more lies, and DAMNED lies!" when I was a young man. The internet makes dispersal and dissemination of that much easier, too, and kids are not being limited in their exposure to it nor are they being corrected and disabused of the erroneous notions they are soaking up from those screens by their elders.

That constant screen-time, in the near-total absence of outside time to learn and explore, in the absence of correction and guidance by wiser heads, can't be a good thing for children seeking answers.

They'll find the wrong ones.

And more people will die.

(05-28-2022, 08:53 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Been sitting here thinking about this. Why now? Why only in America? Why is there an exponential increase at this current time in the US?

I can make a direct link back to when the parenting methods changed.

Parents used to provide their children with a foundation, and with discipline. Children felt they were part of a whole, they had responsibilities, they had values, they depended on family, and family depended on them.

I remember my brothers at age 10 and nine, going around mowing people's lawn to earn a little money to give to my Mother. They wanted to contribute, they wanted to help, and would not take the "you are too young" explanation as an excuse.

My brother has two male children in his house, ages 21 and 17, and he has to pay someone to cut his grass because his children won't volunteer to mow the grass, and there is nothing but discord in his house, and a lousy job done, if he tried to make them mow the grass. This is not isolated to my brother's house, I hear his neighbors complaining of the same thing.

The new parent child relationship seems to be around making sure the child is happy. It  is almost as if they fear making them angry. But when you look at the number of children that have killed a sibling, mother, father, or other family member, because things didn't go the way they wanted it to go, and they got pissed off, maybe their fear is justified.

This problem begins in the home.

• minusculebeercheers 

(05-28-2022, 09:19 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 08:53 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Been sitting here thinking about this. Why now? Why only in America? Why is there an exponential increase at this current time in the US?

I can make a direct link back to when the parenting methods changed.

Parents used to provide their children with a foundation, and with discipline. Children felt they were part of a whole, they had responsibilities, they had values, they depended on family, and family depended on them.

I remember my brothers at age 10 and nine, going around mowing people's lawn to earn a little money to give to my Mother. They wanted to contribute, they wanted to help, and would not take the "you are too young" explanation as an excuse.

My brother has two male children in his house, ages 21 and 17, and he has to pay someone to cut his grass because his children won't volunteer to mow the grass, and there is nothing but discord in his house, and a lousy job done, if he tried to make them mow the grass. This is not isolated to my brother's house, I hear his neighbors complaining of the same thing.

The new parent child relationship seems to be around making sure the child is happy. It  is almost as if they fear making them angry. But when you look at the number of children that have killed a sibling, mother, father, or other family member, because things didn't go the way they wanted it to go, and they got pissed off, maybe their fear is justified.

This problem begins in the home.

More fact. You're on a roll!

When my son was little, his ma let all the kids get away with murder for the most part, and I wouldn't. We had some in-depth conversations about our different parenting styles, lemme tell ya!

She thought I was too rough on them. I don't think I ever adequately got the point across that I was not being rough, I was just setting limits and expectations, and enforcing those, because kids crave limits and structure in their lives. Oh, sure, they'll occasionally buck and rebel, but that is not really them rebelling, it's just them testing the limits to find where the boundaries are. that is a part of the process of growing up in a fairly well adjusted manner.

Kids have to have boundaries and a framework to grow upon. In the absence of those, you get what we have now. No structure, no framework for operating within a society, no limits... and they feel entitled to kill anything that annoys them for no reason at all.

Because there are no limits.

(05-28-2022, 02:08 PM)beez Wrote:

Your thoughts?

That was probably part of the argument that got God removed in the first place and look at where we are.

10 Commandments banned.

tinysure

I mean, 10 commandments have historically been an utter failure if we really want to start with stats. 

I don't need a God to be a good person with a moral compass. Kids don't need to be indoctrinated with ancient history ramblings of crazy people to be raised well.
(05-28-2022, 10:28 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:

Your thoughts?

10 Commandments banned.

tinysure

I mean, 10 commandments have historically been an utter failure if we really want to start with stats. 

I don't need a God to be a good person with a moral compass. Kids don't need to be indoctrinated with ancient history ramblings of crazy people to be raised well.

Like any rules, the Ten Commandments only work when people apply them. So then, if they are an "utter failure", one only need look into a mirror rather than at the rules which are not being employed.

If kids are not "indoctrinated" with history, they are doomed to repeat it. That has been well established for generations now, and yet we still learn nothing from that simple observation.

Religion does not provide a moral compass, it provides the anchor point, the orientation for that moral compass. Without an anchor point, that moral compass can point in any direction. So, you are correct, you don't need a god to have a moral compass, you only need one to figure out what that compass is pointing TO, which direction your morals lie in. Without it, everyone's moral compass points in any random direction, differing from individual to individual.

In that case, there is then no objective "right" or "wrong", anything goes as that individual sees fit - it's "moral" to him, as that is the direction his moral compass is pointing.

That can make even slaughtering a room full of school kids a "moral" act, to that individual. And, with no objective right or wrong, no one can contest his "morality".

Oddly, I got the following in my e-mail a short while ago. Being written by a pastor, it of course has a religious bent, but nevertheless many of the observations are social rather than religious, and I believe valid.

Quote:The Mass Shooting and Liberal Utopian Society

Written by: Pastor Andrew Isker
In the last two weeks, there have been two mass shootings in the United States, and the second took place this week at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas. These shootings have reignited the regime’s already intense desire for a disarmed populace. Even before the bodies of the dead children had been removed from the school, our mentally diminished President spoke to the nation, demanding that rifles (which he is not even able to accurately describe) be confiscated across a 330 million person country spanning an entire continent.

This despicable man, and the legion of sociopathic ghouls arrayed behind him, are clearly overjoyed that there is a classroom full of young children lying dead in Texas. They don’t actually care about the anguish of parents who will never see their child grow up. Their deaths are merely a political prop for the most evil people on the planet.

It is hard to fully comprehend just how totalitarian such designs are. But these are the very same sadistic freaks who successfully locked those 330 million people in their homes for weeks or months, and then (mostly successfully) restricted their ability to provide for their families if they refused to get an extremely dangerous mRNA injection that does not even accomplish its intended purpose. All you are to them is a guinea pig or a rat in a social experiment. You do not matter. Your children do not matter. You only exist to provide them with power.

You must understand that school shooters and other mass shooters are an extremely acute symptom of the disease that horribly afflicts the American nation. You live in an incredibly sick society, and since you are born into it and live in it every day, you go about your life mostly unaware of just how dreadful things really are. It is imperative for the people who manufacture the inversion of reality that you perceive everything through the lens of the now.

This is why “The Current Thing” has such memetic power: it attacks reality distortion at its source, where obsession over what is, right now, cuts you off from any sense of historical perspective. In the case of mass shootings, the exclusion of historical perspective keeps the masses from noticing that mass shootings are a very recent phenomenon and that decades ago, when the United States had vastly more liberal gun laws, and anyone could even purchase fully automatic submachine guns in the mail, this never happened. The question you should ask is, why not? What exactly was different about America 90 years ago compared to today?

The answer to that question is fairly obvious. Modern American society is a factory for psychopaths. The young man in the North American Continent is planted in a field fertilized by atomization, loneliness, and hopelessness. Many have never met their father, and most do not have anything remotely close to a “good relationship” with him. Most have no meaningful connection to the community in which they live, nor even the nation they inhabit. In school, they are social outcasts, driven to niche internet communities for the only semblance of human interaction in their lives. They are marinated in hardcore pornography from before they have even reached pubescence.

They know (or at least perceive) that they will never know the love of a flesh-and-blood woman. They are on the kind of pharmacological cocktail that any premodern society would only ascribe to witchcraft and demon possession. They have nothing to live for and no one who loves them. Given how many young men our nation is producing like this, the question we ought to be asking is not “why does this happen?” but rather “why does it not happen a lot more?”

America is an incredibly sick nation. There is a spiritual sickness that pervades everything like a dark cloud. The people who dominate every institution in our nation have held this power for at least sixty years. For these sixty years, they have treated this nation as a grand social experiment. They have made the natural family, the very bedrock of human civilization, an antiquated, outdated institution that we have progressed beyond.

They have financialized and commodified all of human life, uprooting people from their homes and extended families, and making them mercenaries chasing after a rapidly devalued dollar. They have exported the industry of the nation impoverishing the heartland of the country and leaving them to languish in despair. They actively cheer the deaths and replacement of the hated population, while at the same time denying this was ever their intent. They have introduced racial and ethnic strife, and in the chaos actively undermined rule of law. Sixty years of full-spectrum control by utopian social engineers have transformed the most affluent society in human history into hell on earth.

This did not happen by accident. These people are motivated by a deep hatred of humanity. Like the geriatric that currently occupies the Oval Office who well represents them, they simply do not care how much people suffer. You might think the progressive is merely mistaken, deluded by ideology. This is not the case. They have had more than sixty years to see the full extent of human misery their ideology produces when applied to the healthiest and most prosperous conditions. They know what they are doing.

But what is to be done? The utopian bugmen that dominate our nation must be overcome. You must personally re-capture the same spirit of Christian America that built a great nation. You must do all within your personal sphere of influence to rebuild the things that our enemies have destroyed. You must rebuild churches dominated by liberals and weak-willed conservatives. You must rebuild neighborhoods and communities with people who, like you, love the nation that their great, great-grandparents built and who want to worship the same God who gave them such strength.

You must devote your life to both retaking what institutions you can, and creating alternatives for the institutions you can’t. It is not simply enough to decry that the libs have ruined everything—of course they have, they are like cancer! You must have a vision for your people, you must provide for them the thing they have taken away: hope for the future. We can again have the world that the liberal globalist regime has destroyed. A world where the fear of the Triune God pervades the land and not hopelessness and despair. You can have a world where things like mass shootings never happen again, but you must devote yourself to a life of repentance, faith, and an unquenchable passion for the true, good, and beautiful things God has given.

About The Author

Andrew Isker is the pastor of 4th Street Evangelical Church in Waseca, MN. He is a graduate of Minnesota State University and Greyfriar’s Hall Ministerial Training School, and he has served churches in Missouri, West Virginia, and Minnesota. He is the author of the forthcoming book, The Boniface Option. Andrew, his wife Kara, and their five children reside in his hometown of Waseca, MN.

(05-28-2022, 10:39 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 10:28 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:

Your thoughts?

10 Commandments banned.

tinysure

Like any rules, the Ten Commandments only work when people apply them. So then, if they are an "utter failure", one only need look into a mirror rather than at the rules which are not being employed.

If kids are not "indoctrinated" with history, they are doomed to repeat it. That has been well established for generations now, and yet we still learn nothing from that simple observation.

Religion does not provide a moral compass, it provides the anchor point, the orientation for that moral compass. Without an anchor point, that moral compass can point in any direction. So, you are correct, you don't need a god to have a moral compass, you only need one to figure out what that compass is pointing TO, which direction your morals lie in. Without it, everyone's moral compass points in any random direction, differing from individual to individual.

In that case, there is then no objective "right" or "wrong", anything goes as that individual sees fit - it's "moral" to him, as that is the direction his moral compass is pointing.

That can make even slaughtering a room full of school kids a "moral" act, to that individual. And, with no objective right or wrong, no one can contest his "morality".

I should have clarified my history comment, it was religious history. Not history in general. 

And while I disagree with the anchor comment, I respect anyone's opinion that needs a God or doctrine to provide said anchor. I just personally don't think it's needed, and think it's done more harm throughout history than we like to admit.
(05-28-2022, 10:58 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 10:39 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Like any rules, the Ten Commandments only work when people apply them. So then, if they are an "utter failure", one only need look into a mirror rather than at the rules which are not being employed.

I should have clarified my history comment, it was religious history. Not history in general. 

And while I disagree with the anchor comment, I respect anyone's opinion that needs a God or doctrine to provide said anchor. I just personally don't think it's needed, and think it's done more harm throughout history than we like to admit.

Religious history is still history, and as such, it still has something to teach. If it is not "history", then it is fable or mythology, and there again religious fables and myths from all cultures are still taught in schools with lessons to impart, fable or not. You can still take courses in, for example, Greek Mythology, and those myths have lessons to be learned.

I could concede that a deity is not required to provide that anchor if you could inform me what IS required to provide it. SOMETHING has to anchor it to provide a common reference point and prevent random moral directions at odds with one another, so what do you think that something would be in the absence of religion?

(05-28-2022, 11:14 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 10:58 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 10:39 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Like any rules, the Ten Commandments only work when people apply them. So then, if they are an "utter failure", one only need look into a mirror rather than at the rules which are not being employed.

Religious history is still history, and as such, it still has something to teach. If it is not "history", then it is fable or mythology, and there again religious fables and myths from all cultures are still taught in schools with lessons to impart, fable or not. You can still take course in, for example, greek Mythology, and those myths have lessons to be learned.

I could concede that a deity is not required to provide that anchor if you could inform me what IS required to provide it. SOMETHING has to anchor it to provide a common reference point and prevent random moral directions at odds with one another, so what do you think that something would be in the absence of religion?

I guess here's a good example: do unto others...

Is it religious? I mean, it's written in every book for every religion correct? Yet, nothing to do with God. Nothing to do with a diety, and it doesn't require a God to make sense and be put into practice daily. Sure, I learned about it in Sunday School, but I am positive God as preached doesn't exist (my opinion) and yet I still live by that. 

The history versus religious history is just a continuation of me not clarifying what I meant. I would prefer my kids learn about the horrible things committed in the name of (insert gods name here). They need to so they can see how horrible it has been for our species. Do unto others. It's not complicated, not hard, and most certainly not religious.