Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
(05-26-2022, 02:55 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 04:45 AM)Bally002 Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 04:37 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I can't be certain, but I believe that the Amish won't do too badly or much worse at least in all this. I see them in town shopping for things some times, but I never paid mind to what they were buying.

They need clothes, shoes, eyeglasses, health care, and many of the same things regular folks need, but they do provide much for themselves from farming, lumber mills, making furniture and wood working, black smith work, they have their own schools, etc.

I admire this.  While they appear a little back woods in my perspective, they have their finger on the 'pulse'.  They will survive.

I had a good conversation with an Amish fella two days ago.  I went to the archery store too buy a new bow and he was there looking for reloading supplies. The shop is anti-political (they hate everyone in politics ... know they're all corrupt).

I was surprised how in-tune this Amish fella was.  I listened to him talk to the owner for 20 minutes on the way things are politically.  His bottom line was that the Amish would probably survive in there was no dedicated backlash targeted against them for being capable of surviving any shit-storm the Biden/0bama administration has in store for the country.

Cheers mate!!

Yep, the whole damn world is changing fast & furious.

I've had random visions that those that live off-grid and those that live way out in nowhere land that are more or less self-sustaining may be the one's who rebuild civilization after the collapse.

A few years ago I had a total kitchen renovation. I hired a private contractor who had a small army of Amish carpenters/tilers/plumbers. They built custom wood cabinets and installed them, along with new countertops, custom design splash board, new floor, sink, new window, lighting & new appliances. They did a fantastic job and used power tools...but only on a job site.
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(05-26-2022, 02:56 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 11:24 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: the Balvenie 21

Bang for the buck remains with the 12YO.

100% agree. My wife likes the 17, but cant find it around here more than once a year. 21 is that special treat I would search the world for in the apocalypse. 21 is my twinkle.
(05-19-2022, 04:48 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: Sharing my notes on the potential shortages we may all be experiencing soon. These notes are based on examples from Venezuela and Argentina back in 2014 and earlier. The one article I based the prices on is a paid subscription Bloomberg page. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...tion-order

Items that become scarce (Venezuela Examples)

Bottled Water
    Foods - Chicken
    Medicines - all esp. prescription
    Gasoline
    Detergents - Laundry soap, dish soap, etc.
    Toilet paper
    Diapers
    Car batteries

Studies have shown these short-term items go first when a crisis happens.

Bottled Water
    Powdered Milk
    Pancake mix
    Ramen Noodles
    Popcorn
    Cereal
    Beef Jerky
    Cooking Oils
    Nuts
    Dried Fruits
    Power Bars
    Juice Powders
    Spices (salt, pepper, etc.)
    Honey
    Crackers
    Baking Essentials (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder)
    Coffee
    Liquor
    Hard Candies
    Baby Food, Diapers, Wipes
    Pet Food

Services
    Natural Gas
    Electricity
    Gasoline

Possible Costs
Based on current crisis in Venezuela and former crisis in Argentina
The inflated prices only apply if normal stores have the product available.

2014 US Avg    Inflation (X 6.3)    Blackmarket (X 187)
Reg. Milk (1 liter)        $ 0.92             $   5.80               $  172.04
Lettuce (1 head)         $ 1.06             $   6.68               $  198.22
Water (1.5 ltr bottle)   $ 1.40             $   8.82               $  261.80
1 Domestic Beer         $ 1.50             $   9.45               $  280.50
Eggs (12)                  $ 1.91              $ 12.04               $  357.17
White Rice 1kg           $ 1.96             $ 12.35               $  366.52
Potatoes (1kg)           $ 2.20             $ 13.86               $  411.40
1 Imported Beer         $ 2.33             $ 14.68               $  435.71
Loaf of White Bread    $ 2.68             $ 16.88               $  501.16
Chicken Breast 1kg     $ 5.87             $ 36.99               $1,097.69
Tomatoes (1kg)          $ 6.15             $ 38.75               $1,150.05
Apples (1kg)               $ 6.39             $ 40.26               $1,194.93
Pack of Cigarettes        $ 6.60             $ 41.58               $1,234.20
Local Cheese (1kg)      $ 7.17             $ 45.18                $1,340.79
Oranges (1kg)             $ 7.41             $ 46.69              $1,385.67
Bottle of Wine             $ 9.00             $ 56.70               $1,683.00

A thrifty food cost of $300 per adult, per month today would equal approximately $1,890 inflated cost or $56,100 in black market mark-ups.

Have Cash on Hand!

With communications cut-off (FEMA did this in New Orleans) and electric out, checks, credit and debit cards wouldn’t work for 100 miles. Banks closed because they couldn’t use their computers, phones, etc.

Cash - Enough to cover the black market mark-up, basically every penny you have. Given these Venezuelan figures, a dollar would = 16 cents, so it would be approximately $6.25 for an item valued at a dollar, or as much as $187 black market for an item valued at one dollar.

About the Black Market (Argentina Crisis)

"Once the SHTF the black/gray market will take no time to appear all around you. At first it was all about trading skills or craft products for food. Districts and towns would form their own barter markets, and created their own tickets, similar to money, that was used to trade. This didn’t last long. Those tickets were easy to make on your home computer, there was no control and eventually people went back to paper money."

"What can be found at a local markets? Mostly food and clothing. Some have more variety than others but cheese, canned food, spices, honey, eggs, fruits, vegetables, beer, wine and cured meat are generally available, same as bakery products and pasta."

"Since it is impossible to determine the true mineral percentage of gold, small shops and dealers will pay for it as regular jewelry gold. Besides gold coins, have a lot of small gold rings and other jewelry to sell or trade."

Surviving the Coming Economic Collapse (Greece crisis)

"Earlier this year pharmacies and hospitals in Greece were unable to provide life saving medicines due to a shortages caused by a freeze in the flow of credit from manufacturers to distributors to patients.  A collapse in the country’s economy has forced many Greeks to turn to black market barter economies and has left millions financially devastated, with no hope of finding an income stream for the foreseeable future."

"The credit system of the entire country is in shambles. So much so that reports are emerging about food shortages and hunger within the Greek prison system, suggesting that serious problems in the food delivery chain have begun to materialize."

" 'RAE is taking crisis initiatives throughout next week to avert the collapse of the natural gas and electricity system,' the regulator’s chief Nikos Vasilakos told Reuters."

I already pay twelve bucks a dozen for eggs here.  We get eight dozen from some people we know at three bucks a dozen, then divi them up for the two daughters and the grandkids keeping two dozen for ourself for two weeks...so since I give the eggs to the kids and grandkids, the cost of our two dozen is twenty four bucks.

If we stop giving the two daughters eggs, they will think we are forgetting to get them and stick us in the nursing home saying we have alzhimer disease.
(05-26-2022, 09:54 PM)rickymouse Wrote: I already pay twelve bucks a dozen for eggs here.  We get eight dozen from some people we know at three bucks a dozen, then divi them up for the two daughters and the grandkids keeping two dozen for ourself for two weeks...so since I give the eggs to the kids and grandkids, the cost of our two dozen is twenty four bucks.

If we stop giving the two daughters eggs, they will think we are forgetting to get them and stick us in the nursing home saying we have alzhimer disease.

Giving away eggs can bring great rewards. I am so giddy at the moment, because one of the people I give eggs to, stopped by and dropped off ten pounds of lychee to my house.

I love fresh lychee right off the tree. They will not be around long.

Getting a reprieve from being shipped off to a nursing home, is even a better reward.

minusculebeercheers

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Anyone know anything about moringa. My neighbor gave me a moringa tree. I have not planted it yet.

I dropped him off some lychee, because he is one of our group that does not have a lot, but he shares whatever he has. He is one of the most generous people I know.

Anyway, he gave me a quart of moringa tea, and a jar of moringa powder. I really like the tea. He says that the moringa tea is good for almost anything that ails you, and it is a good SHTF item to have around.

I am not familiar with moringa tea. I have heard about it. I am sure Mrs G has some knowledge of it.

• minusculebeercheers 

(05-27-2022, 03:11 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Anyone know anything about moringa. My neighbor gave me a moringa tree. I have not planted it yet.

I dropped him off some lychee, because he is one of our group that does not have a lot, but he shares whatever he has. He is one of the most generous people I know.

Anyway, he gave me a quart of moringa tea, and a jar of moringa powder. I really like the tea. He says that the moringa tea is good for almost anything that ails you, and it is a good SHTF item to have around.

I am not familiar with moringa tea. I have heard about it. I am sure Mrs G has some knowledge of it.

I would fire a message off to her for I figure she knows or has a book that does.. minusculebeercheers
(05-27-2022, 01:29 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 09:54 PM)rickymouse Wrote: I already pay twelve bucks a dozen for eggs here.

I am so giddy

LOL ... I just used "giddy" in a different thread.  Wut up wi dat?  LMAO
(05-26-2022, 11:23 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:

100% agree. My wife likes the 17, but cant find it around here more than once a year. 21 is that special treat I would search the world for in the apocalypse. 21 is my twinkle.

What if I could get you a bottle?
(05-26-2022, 05:39 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: They did a fantastic job and used power tools...but only on a job site.

Yeah ... they're not all that "Amish" anymore are they?

Cheers, mate!!
(05-27-2022, 01:34 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 05:39 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: They did a fantastic job and used power tools...but only on a job site.

Cheers, mate!!

They tolerate a lot of modern stuff, they would never turn down a ride in an automobile. Plus, local laws have occupancy rules like running water, bathroom, electrical hook up, etc. in their homes. They can't ignore the modern world and will bend on a lot of things, like a community phone, electric lights on their buggies, what have you.
(05-27-2022, 02:31 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote:
(05-27-2022, 01:34 PM)Snarl Wrote:

They tolerate a lot of modern stuff

That they do.  Nothing but respect.
(05-27-2022, 08:49 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(05-27-2022, 03:11 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Anyone know anything about moringa. My neighbor gave me a moringa tree. I have not planted it yet.

I would fire a message off to her for I figure she knows or has a book that does.. minusculebeercheers

Thanks 727Sky.

They are listening. This showed up in my feed this morning.

• minusculebeercheers 

(05-24-2022, 03:49 AM)Bally002 Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 01:15 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 12:37 AM)kdog Wrote: It has begun. 

The last few days of just running to the local convenience store , gas had jumped up to $ 4.59 and they have been out of gas for 3 days so far. 

Hardly any traffic on the roads. It's getting there.

Local gas is:
Regular $4.59 to  $4.65
Mid $4.85 to $5.09
Premium $5.19 to $5.39

I was shocked to find eggs in the local stores ranging from $4.35 to $8.75 a carton. I give away about twenty two dozen eggs a week. And quite a few of the people I know, and neighbors, have plenty of eggs, and they give theirs away as well. That may be why the stores sell theirs for so much.

I have noticed an increase not just in the price of goods, but much smaller packaging, and a change in the formulas in a lot of products. Many products have more water in them, and whatever they have done to the Pedigree dog food, it has caused my dogs to have loose stools. I have gone to making my own dog food.

But you are right. It has begun.

Just boil your eggs and pickle them.  Vinegar, a little salt and pepper afterwards is your brother/mother in this process.  Save your glass jars too.  Place the eggs in glass with vinegar.  Don't rely on plastics.  Place them away in a cool location and you'll know if you've done right as the lids require a wrench to open for us weak wristers.  

Thoughts as I love farm eggs,

Bally :)

I just completed my first jar of pickled eggs. I will try the first one three days from now.

I am crossing my fingers.

minusculebeercheers

• minusculebeercheers 

This has been happening in my community for a long while now. Ours is not on this large of a scale. We don't have a warehouse.

We do have a pantry, and we have a clothes closet, and we just put our gently used items out, much like in the feel of a farmer's market, in an area where we fellowship.

We will also reach out to those we know are in need, and will bring the items directly to them.

This is what a community should be doing. We should be taking care of each other. My Mother just said last night, that it is those that have the least that are the most generous. Those that have greater wealth in our community, contributes greatly to the foundation, and is often the backbone of a lot of the things we are able to do in the community.

We started small. A seed was planted. We now have an orchard. It can be done everywhere.

• minusculebeercheers 

(05-27-2022, 01:32 PM)Snarl Wrote:

I would share a neat glass with you my friend.
(05-28-2022, 05:29 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:

How's about a shot of rot gut moonshine distilled from month old fermented fruit juice? I didn't think so.
(05-28-2022, 05:38 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 05:29 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:

How's about a shot of rot gut moonshine distilled from month old fermented fruit juice? I didn't think so.

I'll take it. 2 weeks ago I did a "mead challenge", and while I don't remember much, I remember trying to pull a Shaggin Waggin van out of the mud. Left the 40 acre yard a good mess....

[Image: 20220513-233032.jpg]

Waitaminnit!

Y'all can grow lychee there?

I'd kill for some fresh lychee or longan. A little Buddhist monk used to bring me lychee and longan still on the branch when I was standing guard duty at a place, and I sure miss 'em. Little fella must have thought I looked sickly or something, as he was always bringing that, or sticky rice loaves wrapped in banana leaves, or fresh coconuts still in the husk, or grass tea, or something different every day, like he was trying to make sure I didn't fall over of starvation while I was at my post.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-28-2022, 06:50 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Waitaminnit!

Y'all can grow lychee there?

I'd kill for some fresh lychee or longan. A little Buddhist monk used to bring me lychee and longan still on the branch when I was standing guard duty at a place, and I sure miss 'em. Little fella must have thought I looked sickly or something, as he was always bringing that, or sticky rice loaves wrapped in banana leaves, or fresh coconuts still in the husk, or grass tea, or something different every day, like he was trying to make sure I didn't fall over of starvation while I was at my post.

I live less than three miles from a large lychee grove. Several of my close friends have lychee trees, and star fruit. My neighbor has a longan tree.

I have tons of bananas, papaya, java plums, pineapples, and balsam pears (they grow on a vine, and grow wild). We have plenty of fruit trees in Florida. My brother has miracle fruit, Florida peaches, mangoes, avocado, oranges, and ackee.

All of my pineapples I grew from the tops of store bought fruit. They only produce every two years, but I have about twenty of them and I have four more ready to go into the ground.

• minusculebeercheers