Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking to buy a firearm
I have been talking to my Dad a lot lately, regarding buying a gun. My Dad, like me, considers himself a liberal, but also like me, is a strong proponent of the Second Amendment. He has a very nice firearm, and subscribes to Guns N Ammo magazine. Due to some events in my neighborhood, I feel I need to get a gun strictly for self defense. If someone tries to break into my home, I don’t want to be helpless. 

I have never shot a gun in my life. I’ve always been kind of afraid of them. I don’t know why this is, it just is. So I’m totally a beginner when it comes to this. I’m looking for something that fits in my purse, and maybe has a laser sight. It can be small caliber, something easy to point and shoot. I am willing to pursue training, and know I would need to do this anyway, as I would like to get a concealed carry permit. Wisconsin allows that, as long as you go to a class.

I’m also looking for something where I could customize it. As a retired Navy Chief, I want to get a khaki colored gun with a Chief anchor on it. As far as price, as long as I can find something like this for under $1,000, that would be fine.

I heard it’s more difficult to get guns and ammo. That worries me. I think maybe the gun laws have become too strict lately. It will get to the point where the only people who have guns will be criminals. That sure doesn’t sound liberal. Perhaps I am becoming more centrist/independent. I know people hate independents too. Oh well. Any advice?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(05-14-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I have been talking to my Dad a lot lately, regarding buying a gun. My Dad, like me, considers himself a liberal, but also like me, is a strong proponent of the Second Amendment. He has a very nice firearm, and subscribes to Guns N Ammo magazine. Due to some events in my neighborhood, I feel I need to get a gun strictly for self defense. If someone tries to break into my home, I don’t want to be helpless. 

I have never shot a gun in my life. I’ve always been kind of afraid of them. I don’t know why this is, it just is. So I’m totally a beginner when it comes to this. I’m looking for something that fits in my purse, and maybe has a laser sight. It can be small caliber, something easy to point and shoot. I am willing to pursue training, and know I would need to do this anyway, as I would like to get a concealed carry permit. Wisconsin allows that, as long as you go to a class.

I’m also looking for something where I could customize it. As a retired Navy Chief, I want to get a khaki colored gun with a Chief anchor on it. As far as price, as long as I can find something like this for under $1,000, that would be fine.

I heard it’s more difficult to get guns and ammo. That worries me. I think maybe the gun laws have become too strict lately. It will get to the point where the only people who have guns will be criminals. That sure doesn’t sound liberal. Perhaps I am becoming more centrist/independent. I know people hate independents too. Oh well. Any advice?

Explanation: Get the gun you feel comfortable using ok ...

However you are asking for suggestions and here is mine ...

I am NOT a gun expert at all ok ... so having said that I think the following is both logical and reasonable to suggest ...

Older petite female who needs a C&C firearm thats reliable ...

Its a no brainer ... I suggest the S&W model 640 .357 Magnum/38 P+ with the concealed hammer [for snag free usage when C&C'ing]

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640

[Image: 163690-sw-OnWhite-Right.png?itok=bYfoBjjk]

Quote:Specs
SKU 163690
Model Model 640
Caliber 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
Capacity 5
Length 6.6
Front Sight Black Blade
Rear Sight Fixed
Action Double Action Only
Grip Synthetic
Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Frame Material Stainless Steel
Frame Finish Satin Stainless
Barrel Length 2.125" (5.4 cm)
Weight 22.1 oz.
State Compliance CA,MA

MSRP: $ 795.00

Quote:Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolvers have had your back since 1950.  These small revolvers were designed to fire a full power round and are as simple and easy to use as they are reliable.  Available in various calibers and with three diverse hammer designs, it is no surprise that the Smith & Wesson J-Frame has become the most popular, small-frame, defense revolver on the market.
The Model 640, is a variation of the Model 40 Centennial that integrates the time-tested features of the original with modern advancements.  The Model 640 is a small-frame, concealed-hammer revolver that packs a full-sized punch.

• Stainless steel frame, barrel and cylinder
• Black Blade Front Sight and Fixed Rear Sight
• Snag-Free enclosed hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

At near $800 it is not cheap ... but it does tick every other box and with 2 types of ammo available it may be cheaper in the long run ammo-wise.

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps! minusculebeercheers 

OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
LittleD got a Ruger Security 9 a few years ago and got her cc permit. She got it for about $300 and it's a nice gun.  Custom made, I don't know. 

https://www.academy.com/p/ruger-security...tic-pistol
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(05-14-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote: If someone tries to break into my home, I don’t want to be helpless. 

(05-14-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I’m looking for something that fits in my purse, and maybe has a laser sight.

Follow OmegaLogos advice.

If you want a customized gun, you might want to consider a 1911.

You don't want to carry in a purse.  That's a target.  Before you can react, you'll be struggling/fighting with the bad guy for your firearm.

Consider a fanny pack like this one.  I carry a Glock 23 in there all the time.  The S&W 640 is in my front right pocket.
Since you know little or nothing about a firearm I would recommend going to a gun range that rents weapons; explain to the person working there what and why you are looking for and thinking about a pistol.

some women are very sensitive when it comes to the guns recoil ... I taught my wife on rifle and pistol. She was so bad when starting she would pull the trigger and try to run the other way !! It took about 2 months and range sessions once a week to get her hitting targets at 15 and 30 yards with a pistol. She was always competent with a rifle as she seemed to not be afraid like she had been with the pistol. She is Asian (small boned) so she had never handled a fire arm of any kind therefore her only experience was watching movies.. Rim fire like a .22 is always disparaged as the .22 is not as consistent as a center-fired round and may not go boom when a trigger is pulled, but it is effective at stopping a home invader without body armor. A female friend of mine shot a big guy in the chest who had broken into her home with a .22.... they ran out of her house and fell dead on the front lawn.  The Mossad of Israel hit squads used to use the .22 for all their head shots as the round would enter the skull and act like a BB in a bowl. Also the round could not be traced as the hollow point would fragment into many many pieces..

The shock of being hit by anything will usually change a persons mind about most things...

So you want to make noise and scare a foe, wound and possible kill or do you want something that when the trigger is pulled the opponent is DRT depending on the entry wound? .... Again IMO go to a gun range and try different weapons and find one that the recoil does not hurt you to fire.

Anyway a weapon that you can use and hit stuff is much better than one you can not hit a 5"by 8" target 10 to 15 yards away from you IMO.
(05-14-2022, 11:24 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote: If someone tries to break into my home, I don’t want to be helpless. 

(05-14-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I’m looking for something that fits in my purse, and maybe has a laser sight.

Follow OmegaLogos advice.

If you want a customized gun, you might want to consider a 1911.

You don't want to carry in a purse.  That's a target.  Before you can react, you'll be struggling/fighting with the bad guy for your firearm.

Consider a fanny pack like this one.  I carry a Glock 23 in there all the time.  The S&W 640 is in my front right pocket.
Well....
Not a concealed purse.  My friend has one, she carry's her .38 in it.  It has a pocket int the back, she can just slide her hand into, and shoot.  And while concealed purses can be very expensive, if you're not particular, you can find cheap ones.  Her's is god aweful ugly.  Black and Neon green Zebra stripes.  LOL

@Chief   My sister also has a .38 she carries, and she loves it.  Not sure about the customizable part on it though.   I like our little .22.  But I'm mostly shooting at critters we trapped.  No kick, not too loud.  But I don't know much about any other guns, I was raised and taught to shoot the .22
I'm more curious about how you become a Navy chief and manage to never fire a gun.
(05-14-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I have been talking to my Dad a lot lately, regarding buying a gun. My Dad, like me, considers himself a liberal, but also like me, is a strong proponent of the Second Amendment. He has a very nice firearm, and subscribes to Guns N Ammo magazine. Due to some events in my neighborhood, I feel I need to get a gun strictly for self defense. If someone tries to break into my home, I don’t want to be helpless. 

You should just get a nasty ass badger.

YOU SEE GUYS GIVE THESE WIMMINS THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND DRIVE CARS AND SHIT NOW THEY WANT GUNS 

Im jk My girls compact is a tauras pt911 its metal on metal but light weight and fits her hand very well especially with a 15 +1 capacity. She can nail shit with it too, she put some down range up close and mid distance. I think you should go to a range you can rent a pistol and find out which ones you are comfy with. 
Otherwise you should be big mom boss and just shoulder strap a 12 gauge when walking your dog or just start beating the fuck out of people like the annoying merchandiser news paper guy to send the message that your not to be fucked with =D
(05-15-2022, 03:00 AM)Brotherman Wrote:

YOU SEE GUYS GIVE THESE WIMMINS THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND DRIVE CARS AND SHIT NOW THEY WANT GUNS 

Im jk My girls compact is a tauras pt911 its metal on metal but light weight and fits her hand very well especially with a 15 +1 capacity. She can nail shit with it too, she put some down range up close and mid distance. I think you should go to a range you can rent a pistol and find out which ones you are comfy with. 
Otherwise you should be big mom boss and just shoulder strap a 12 gauge when walking your dog or just start beating the fuck out of people like the annoying merchandiser news paper guy to send the message that your not to be fucked with =D

I second your first suggestion.

I believe they are marketed as "The Franklenator"

I myself have one that Kdog was describing, a Ruger Security 9 after much debate and with help from them.

So glad I did, love it!!

Having said that tho, I kinda knew what I wanted, just not the brand
(a 9mm like my husband's Browning)

I was able to hold different ones and that alone I was able to eliminate a few, due to I did not like the feel of them in my hand.

I do agree with Sky's suggestion of going to a shooting range and letting them have you test a few out if they offer that, to see what you are most comfortable with. 

Get the feel of their 'kick' or lack of, whether you want a revolver type or pistol

The main thing is to be comfortable handling any kind of gun you decide to go with.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(05-15-2022, 03:46 AM)senona Wrote: I myself have one that Kdog was describing, a Ruger Security 9 after much debate and with help from them.

So glad I did, love it!!

I was able to hold different ones and that alone I was able to eliminate a few, due to I did not like the feel of them in my hand.

I do agree with Sky's suggestion of going to a shooting range and letting them have you test a few out if they offer that, to see what you are most comfortable with. 

Get the feel of their 'kick' or lack of, whether you want a revolver type or pistol

The main thing is to be comfortable handling any kind of gun you decide to go with.

I wouldn't have guesed you were snarky at the other place but I still think it would be hot if chief rolled down the block with a badger on a leash shouldering a 12 gauge
(05-15-2022, 03:07 AM)MisterSpock Wrote:
(05-15-2022, 03:00 AM)Brotherman Wrote:

I second your first suggestion.

I believe they are marketed as "The Franklenator"

perfect
(05-15-2022, 02:18 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: I'm more curious about how you become a Navy chief and manage to never fire a gun.

When I was in boot camp in 1982, there was a total of one day set aside to train us on how to shoot a gun. On that particular day, I was a bad girl and messed something up. I had three different company commanders in front of me screaming at me. They had me doing pushups for hours, and then told me I’d have to make up the gun lesson. I never got around to making it up. Also the rating I was in apparently the powers that be felt we didn’t need to learn how to shoot a gun. I wish I would have learned when I was in the service.
Thanks for all the replies and great advice! There is a shooting range near me, and I will try some different guns out. Noted on not carrying it in my purse. My Mom used to have a gun. I’ll ask her where she carried it. 

Yeah, I heard about recoil from a friend of mine. That scares me a little. I imagine it would take me some time to get comfortable with that. 

@"Brotherman" OMG, I’m picturing myself walking down the street with a nasty ass badger and a 12 gauge now, haha! Someone else on my street is the neighborhood wack job, actually the neighbor who shares a wall with me. I live in a fourplex condo on the first floor. The woman is nuts, and I’ve already had one confrontation with her. There are rumors she has a gun and used it on her ex boyfriend. I want to be able to show her I am not to be fucked with. The whole neighborhood knows she’s dealing drugs out of her condo, and she’s had the cops over there several times.
(05-15-2022, 04:49 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Thanks for all the replies and great advice! There is a shooting range near me, and I will try some different guns out. Noted on not carrying it in my purse. My Mom used to have a gun. I’ll ask her where she carried it. 

Yeah, I heard about recoil from a friend of mine. That scares me a little. I imagine it would take me some time to get comfortable with that. 

@"Brotherman" OMG, I’m picturing myself walking down the street with a nasty ass badger and a 12 gauge now, haha! Someone else on my street is the neighborhood wack job, actually the neighbor who shares a wall with me. I live in a fourplex condo on the first floor. The woman is nuts, and I’ve already had one confrontation with her. There are rumors she has a gun and used it on her ex boyfriend. I want to be able to show her I am not to be fucked with. The whole neighborhood knows she’s dealing drugs out of her condo, and she’s had the cops over there several times.

i dont listen to my own advice because I don't sleep enough but the badger shit is a great idea if you got snakes and the shotgun deal well that just makes a statement
(05-15-2022, 04:49 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Thanks for all the replies and great advice! There is a shooting range near me, and I will try some different guns out. Noted on not carrying it in my purse. My Mom used to have a gun. I’ll ask her where she carried it. 

Forgot to mention something.  As a retiree you're eligible to purchase Blue Line Firearms.  That 640 @"OmegaLogos" left you a picture of ... I used to buy those at 1/2 MSRP.  Ask around.  You may have to find a shop that'll bring those in for you.  Same thing with my Glocks.

You've got all the time in the world to decide 'what's right for you', so do take the time to point, aim and shoot (everything that looks appealing to you) ... that way you only have to buy once / cry once.

As a newbie you'll have all kinds of carry questions.  That 640 can be slipped into your pocket holsterless.  Not always recommended (keep everything else out of that pocket if you do) ... but, appendix carry is a highly acceptable method of carry these days too. This is one of my favorite rigs:
[Image: Appendix-Holster.jpg]

"Fanny pack" sounds disgusting to me.  Don't blame me for using it ... I didn't make up the name.  They don't last forever (some of 'em don't even last long at all), but it's a great way for women (and fatties) to carry so they don't have to worry about a purse being a grab-target for thieves ... or, buying an entirely new wardrobe.

I find the fanny pack and pocket carry to be the least accessible methods.

This may be my last piece of sage advice (subject to your specific questions): It's the gun you're carrying at the moment, that is the best opportunity to turn the tides set against you.  So ... buy a gun to carry everyday ... all day.  And, don't carry a gun you're just going to give to your attackers.  Carry a gun to kill that motherfletcher who picked a fight with the wrong person.

Cheers,
Snarl

At least your not the cat woman from the simpsons
Looks like I'm late to the party.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but I do have some general observations.

Since you specified you've never shot a gun, and are a bit scared of them (which I don't think is a bad thing - it encourages a healthy respect for machinery that can make permanent health changes to your immediate surroundings), I wouldn't go for the .357's and .45's right out of the gate. Those might make matters worse for you, what with all the sound and fury and recoil they can generate. Instead, maybe look to a 9mm or smaller, maybe a .380. An added  bonus is that those calibers have a lighter recoil and can be found in a smaller frame for easier concealment.

Just having a bigger gun is no replacement for putting the bullet where you want it to hit. I think it was Jeff Cooper or Elmer Keith who once said that a solid hit with a .22 was a lot more discouraging than a really loud miss with a .45. I've known 3 people who were shot with a lowly .22, and none of them were very happy about it. One was a Rockingham County NC sheriff's deputy who got hit just below the edge of his vest, one was a guy who had to be carried out of the wilderness after getting shot in the leg with one, and still uses a cane to this day, and one carried the bullet next to his heart for decades before he died, because it was too close to his heart to remove. None of them reported it to have been a pleasant experience. You don't have to actually kill an attacker to put them out of commission, but it may help at court time for them to be dead enough to not contradict your testimony.

Back when I was training cops, and this was decades ago, there was a debate raging about whether it was better to shoot to kill or shoot to merely wound, so I asked one of the students who had worked the streets for years, and was there for his annual two weeks of in-service training, whether he would shoot to kill or shoot to wound, and his reply was classic - "I won't say which, but I will say that dead men tell no tales".

Regarding the badger walk with a 12 gauge shotgun, I'd like to add that I think an eye-patch and some leather clothing would add to the ambience of the situation. On you, not the badger.

There has been debate as to calibers since shooting began, with one camp being of the "bigger is better" opinion, opposed by their opposite numbers, who prefer smaller calibers and more precise shooting with them. I've always been of the small-caliber camp, which has led me into some lively discussions over the years. I like smaller guns because I can carry more ammo for them, thus allowing me to be obnoxious longer in an affray. I generally go no larger than 9mm myself. I had a government issue 1911 .45 for a long while, but immediately when I was done with it, I actually gave it away. I wanted rid of it so bad that I wasn't even willing to charge money for it. Why carry just 8 rounds when you can carry 14 or more in a 9mm? I then proceeded to get a Browning HP-35, "High Power" in 9mm, because it carried 13 in the magazine and one up the spout. That was back in the days when that was the highest capacity pistol you could get.

Technology has increased over the years. That Taurus I carry has 17 round magazines as standard, although I have a few 20 round and a few 32 round magazines for it, for special occasions. Those are not for everyday carry - they stick out too far, and make awkward, hard to explain away, lumps in a fella's clothes. I carry one magazine in the pistol and two more stashed about my scrawny person. If anyone gets hurt in a ruckus, I don't want to be the last one.

As for concealment, I concealed carry in the appendix carry, or more usually at the small of my back, and, every now and then if I'm going to be sitting a lot, in a shoulder rig. I'm not a bulky fella, I'm tall and stringy, but I can still concealed carry in any of those positions without any trouble. All it takes is a light jacket to make them work, and I carry a Taurus PT-92 which has a fairly large frame, about the same as a government M9. There is no end to the places I could stash a smaller framed pistol.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-15-2022, 03:56 AM)Brotherman Wrote:
(05-15-2022, 03:46 AM)senona Wrote: I myself have one that Kdog was describing, a Ruger Security 9 after much debate and with help from them.

So glad I did, love it!!

I wouldn't have guesed you were snarky at the other place but I still think it would be hot if chief rolled down the block with a badger on a leash shouldering a 12 gauge

Yes, snarky412 at your service, kind friend  smallgreensmoker

And a badger on a leash with a 12 gauge would definitely be bad azz and make one pause for sure   tinyhuh

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

I'll second what another said about going to a range and renting a few different caliber handguns.  It's all about being comfortable with what you're firing.  Even if you start with a .22, get comfortable with it, and work your way up.

One thing people often overlook is carrying a gun is worthless if you're not constantly practicing situational awareness.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]