Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Held for 20 years, including 120 days at a CIA black site
Held for 20 years, including 120 days at a CIA black site. Never charged with a crime.

[Image: h7DHKZf.jpg]
Quote:Hassan bin Attash, who has been held since 2002 without charge, now needs a transfer deal. His brother, also at Guantánamo, is accused of conspiring in the Sept. 11 attacks.

At a Periodic Review Board hearing on Jan. 25, an unidentified U.S. military officer described the detainee, Hassan bin Attash, as believing that “his capture and subsequent detention had changed the trajectory of his life.” The officer said the now-cleared prisoner was influenced by American culture during his 20 years of detention, which according to a Senate study included at least 120 days at a C.I.A. black site.

Mr. bin Attash, who was born in 1982 or 1985, was captured in a Pakistani security services raid on Sept. 11, 2002, along with a defendant in the Sept. 11, 2001, case, Ramzi bin al-Shibh. Mr. bin Attash’s older brother, Walid, is also accused of helping plot the Sept. 11 attacks. But Hassan bin Attash has never been charged with a crime.

Of the 37 wartime detainees at Guantánamo, 20 have now been provisionally approved for transfer. Twelve have been charged with crimes, including the convicted Qaeda courier Majid Khan, who completed his sentence last month but does not have a release arrangement. Five are indefinite detainees in the war on terrorism, neither charged with crimes nor designated for transfer.
Mr. bin Attash was approved for release two weeks ago, according to an announcement posted on Tuesday by the Defense Department. The Pentagon offered no explanation for the delayed disclosure, which confirmed accounts posted on Twitter and Facebook by a former detainee and the sister of a current detainee.
NY Times

Crazy. I'm sure his mind is completely fried from 20 years of CIA experimental drug torture.
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

I realize there are sh**** people out there. Potentially dangerous people. 

However, I take the what the Constitution says seriously. If the guy was was so bad, charge him with something. Give him a trial. 

Don't go down the road of black sites, CIA psychopathy, and despot tactics.
If he wasn’t a terrorist before I bet he is now! I know I would be
I take a different view. The Constitution does not apply - he was not nor is he currently a US citizen, so where does the Constitution enter the picture? Is the Cnstitution to be enforced as a global compact on people who never agreed to it? He was instead, a prisoner of war, which are normally held for the duration of the war. He should be continually held until Islam gives up the war, which it has not yet done.

Which brings me to my second point - how would he rate a "charge"? Charges are for civil courts, not POW detentions. The military is not, nor Hopefully ever will be, a "police" organization - Posse Comitatus, and all that. I see no reason he should be "charged" with anything as a common criminal would be.

And my third point - his brain fried by the CIA? I'm pretty sure it was fried long before the CIA ever got hold of him. just look at the company he was keeping, and captured with, for confirmation. Normal, un-brain-fried people don't hang out with that sort of folks.

I don't care if the little bastard rots at the bottom of the ocean. Mess with the bull, get the horn. It's how life works.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’