Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any suggestions and help appreciated, buying pistol
Hello my Rogues, I have decided to buy myself my own pistol for my birthday that is coming up.

I have Jim's Browning 9mm and it is great for home defense but I am just not comfortable using it for C&C

I just left Sportsman Warehouse, an outdoor store that sells weapons here in town
(they have online sales going on now  minusculerolleyes)

I really liked one of the H&K, bad azz pistol that fit very good in my hand ($749)

Another one I was shown was the Smith & Wesson EZ slide -- another nice one that felt good
Think that one was $429 (???)

One thing that I didn't care for with a couple of Rugers, was the short butt. 
It felt like wearing sandals that were a size too small and my heel hanging off. LOL

So, aside from one that has good magazine capacity and not overly large for conceal & carry, is there one brand over another that stands out to you?

Or a brand that is more dependable than another

Thanks in advance ------      minusculethumbsup

I'm off to google and research the different ones

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Explanation: Get the gun you feel comfortable using ok ...

However you are asking for suggestions and here is mine ...

I am NOT a gun expert at all ok ... so having said that I think the following is both logical and reasonable to suggest ...

Older petite female who needs a C&C firearm thats reliable ...

Its a no brainer ... I suggest the S&W model 640 .357 Magnum/38 P+ with the concealed hammer [for snag free usage when C&C'ing]

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640

[Image: 163690-sw-OnWhite-Right.png?itok=bYfoBjjk]

Quote:Specs
SKU 163690
Model Model 640
Caliber 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
Capacity 5
Length 6.6
Front Sight Black Blade
Rear Sight Fixed
Action Double Action Only
Grip Synthetic
Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Frame Material Stainless Steel
Frame Finish Satin Stainless
Barrel Length 2.125" (5.4 cm)
Weight 22.1 oz.
State Compliance CA,MA

MSRP: $ 795.00

Quote:Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolvers have had your back since 1950.  These small revolvers were designed to fire a full power round and are as simple and easy to use as they are reliable.  Available in various calibers and with three diverse hammer designs, it is no surprise that the Smith & Wesson J-Frame has become the most popular, small-frame, defense revolver on the market.
The Model 640, is a variation of the Model 40 Centennial that integrates the time-tested features of the original with modern advancements.  The Model 640 is a small-frame, concealed-hammer revolver that packs a full-sized punch.

• Stainless steel frame, barrel and cylinder
• Black Blade Front Sight and Fixed Rear Sight
• Snag-Free enclosed hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

At near $800 it is not cheap ... but it does tick every other box and with 2 types of ammo available it may be cheaper in the long run ammo-wise.

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps! minusculebeercheers 

OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
(04-23-2022, 12:03 AM)senona Wrote: Hello my Rogues, I have decided to buy myself my own pistol for my birthday that is coming up.

I have Jim's Browning 9mm and it is great for home defense but I am just not comfortable using it for C&C

I just left Sportsman Warehouse, an outdoor store that sells weapons here in town

I really liked one of the H&K, bad azz pistol that fit very good in my hand ($749)

Another one I was shown was the Smith & Wesson EZ slide -- another nice one that felt good

It felt like wearing sandals that were a size too small and my heel hanging off. LOL

So, aside from one that has good magazine capacity and not overly large for conceal & carry, is there one brand over another that stands out to you?

The sig 365 (im a big fan if Sig though)
Another more economical brand thats made some great pistols lately is Taurus.  The G3 and G4 are great budget weapons.  Their CC, the Gx4, is of the same lineage and worth checking out. 

If finding one is proving difficult, seek Walthers offering.  Im not a fan but they do make quality firearms who dont like much of the more popular models/brands.

Good luck.
(04-23-2022, 12:57 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Get the gun you feel comfortable using ok ...

However you are asking for suggestions and here is mine ...

I am NOT a gun expert at all ok ... so having said that I think the following is both logical and reasonable to suggest ...

Older petite female who needs a C&C firearm thats reliable ...

Its a no brainer ... I suggest the S&W model 640 .357 Magnum/38 P+ with the concealed hammer [for snag free usage when C&C'ing]

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640

[Image: 163690-sw-OnWhite-Right.png?itok=bYfoBjjk]

Quote:Specs
SKU 163690
Model Model 640
Caliber 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
Capacity 5
Length 6.6
Front Sight Black Blade
Rear Sight Fixed
Action Double Action Only
Grip Synthetic
Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Frame Material Stainless Steel
Frame Finish Satin Stainless
Barrel Length 2.125" (5.4 cm)
Weight 22.1 oz.
State Compliance CA,MA

MSRP: $ 795.00

Quote:Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolvers have had your back since 1950.  These small revolvers were designed to fire a full power round and are as simple and easy to use as they are reliable.  Available in various calibers and with three diverse hammer designs, it is no surprise that the Smith & Wesson J-Frame has become the most popular, small-frame, defense revolver on the market.
The Model 640, is a variation of the Model 40 Centennial that integrates the time-tested features of the original with modern advancements.  The Model 640 is a small-frame, concealed-hammer revolver that packs a full-sized punch.

• Stainless steel frame, barrel and cylinder
• Black Blade Front Sight and Fixed Rear Sight
• Snag-Free enclosed hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

At near $800 it is not cheap ... but it does tick every other box and with 2 types of ammo available it may be cheaper in the long run ammo-wise.

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps! minusculebeercheers 

Thank you!!

Yes, I went to the store today and was trying out different ones. 
A couple felt better than others, due to short butt (handle)

But I am not familiar with the different brands, hence why I am reaching out for suggestions.

Jim's Hi Power Browning 9mm is an excellent weapon but I just do not feel comfortable using it for C&C

I know I want a pistol with a mag, holding at least 10+ -- although I know some only hold 8+1 

There is another gun shop in town, so will check there too but do not believe they carry as many in store to be able to look at and try out.

We also have a 38 Special revolver, that I keep in our bedside table
Jim's Browning however, I have by me where I sit most of the time in the living room. Just in case, I want some serious stopping power if the situation ever calls for it  (hopefully not)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(04-23-2022, 01:10 AM)Jinmi Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 12:03 AM)senona Wrote: Hello my Rogues, I have decided to buy myself my own pistol for my birthday that is coming up.

Another more economical brand thats made some great pistols lately is Taurus.  The G3 and G4 are great budget weapons.  Their CC, the Gx4, is of the same lineage and worth checking out. 

If finding one is proving difficult, seek Walthers offering.  Im not a fan but they do make quality firearms who dont like much of the more popular models/brands.

Good luck.

Thank you kindly!!

I like one that has some weight to it and since my hands are big, one that has a good grip without it feeling short.

Also, one thing that I do not like about my husbands Browning, is it is hard to rack the slide.
So when I was playing with the various firearms today, that was one thing that I was paying attention to. 
Other than just being stiff from being brand new, they all seemed a lot easier to slide.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(04-23-2022, 01:22 AM)senona Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 01:10 AM)Jinmi Wrote:

Good luck.

Thank you kindly!!

I like one that has some weight to it and since my hands are big, one that has a good grip without it feeling short.

Also, one thing that I do not like about my husbands Browning, is it is hard to rack the slide.
So when I was playing with the various firearms today, that was one thing that I was paying attention to. 
Other than just being stiff from being brand new, they all seemed a lot easier to slide.

Thats one reason i like Sigs.  Usually a little girthier, beefier....substantial.  cant really articulte but hold one and youll know
Gun talk  tinyinbiglove tinyinbiglove tinyinbiglove

With pistols, especially EDC's, go with what fits your hand the best. If it fits you hand well, you will be able to work to controls easily. You can more easily focus on draw and target engagement.  

I will assume you are talking about on-body carry too. You may have to go through a few holsters until you find one that works for the gun and you. 

Don't be swayed by $$$. The best holster I ever had was a really inexpensive, fabric pass through thingy. However, I'm sure there are lots of great options out there. 

I have no idea what brands/models are available to you at your local FFL. The more you try though, the better the odds are you find a fit. For me, I thought they all sucked until I tried a Bersa. It fit me like a glove. Well built. Great price. 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info...+1+9mm+3.3
Jim's HP-35 is a good gun for defense, but I can see where it might be a problem for a small framed person to carry concealed.

I've only got two pistols now, a Taurus PT92 and a black powder revolver, but again they would, either one, be problems for a small framed person to carry concealed. I carry the Taurus in either a shoulder holster under a light jacket (typically an old Desert Tiger Stripe BDU shirt) if I'm going to be sitting a lot, like driving, or in an inside the waistband holster at the small of my back if I'm going to be mostly standing.

I would not shoot a rabid dog in the ass with a Smith and Wesson - just a personal beef I have with the company. I have an aversion to doing business with companies that make bad business decisions. Back in the 90's or early 2000's I think it was, they threw in with Michael Bloomberg and his "Mayors that want to ban your guns" organization, and that seemed to me to be a lot like cutting their own throats business-wise. As a matter of fact, the day I heard about that poor decision, I went into the office and gave them back the Smith and Wesson issue sidearm I was carrying, and told them they could give me a Taurus instead, or I could patrol bare knuckles and boot heels, but I would never carry a Smith again on duty. They issued me a Taurus instead.

I also won't carry a Glock, but for different reasons. Glocks are not ergonomically suited to me - trying to point one is like trying to aim a 2x4 to me. I don't know what Glocks are like now since I don't deal with them at all any more, but back in the day, there was no way to NOT carry one cocked and locked unless you unloaded it altogether and rendered it useless, and that was a safety issue to me. Glocks are funny guns - you either swear by them, or you swear AT them.

I won't carry any pistol I cannot see the hammer on - I consider that a safety issue, as I sometimes carry cocked and locked if I'm expecting trouble - otherwise I don't. Ring hammers are better than spur hammers, for the snagging reason that @"OmegaLogos" mentioned. I had one with a spur hammer snag on me once when I was trying to draw it out of a field jacket pocket when I was being charged by two Rottweilers. It was pretty exciting there for a couple of seconds until I got it freed up. No, I didn't shoot the dogs. they seemed to know what time it was as soon as I got it freed up and leveled down on them, and they skidded to a halt so fast their feet raised dust clouds. So no actual shooting was necessary.

The only thing beyond that which I can recommend is to go to gun stores and hold the interesting looking ones in you hand. See how they feel to you, and whether they point naturally when you hold them or not. Ambiodextrous safeties are a nice touch, nicer still if your strong side arm gets disabled in a tussle. Since you are smaller-framed, look at the smaller frame pistols that still pack a decent punch. I wouldn't go any smaller than a .380 - same bullet diameter as a 9mm, but shorter case, so less power to push it... but it'll still do the job with a good hit.

Really, it's a matter of personal preference - whatever you are comfortable with. I have one sister that bought a 9mm and asked me to teach her how to shoot it, so I did, but it lives in the box in her closet on a shelf, so won't do her much good like that. I have another sister that carried a .22 revolver in her purse for years, and was a good shot with it, so that was her comfort zone. She's about 5 foot nothin' or a bit shorter, and would weigh around 100 pounds if you soaked her for two days. And Elmer Keith did once say that "a hit with a .22 rimfire is a lot more discouraging than a loud miss with a .45".

So I would say a small or medium frame sidearm, no less than a .380, and make sure to get a concealment holster to fit it and a few extra magazines if it's a pistol instead of a revolver, and a few speed loaders of it's a revolver. Internal capacity doesn't matter quite as much if you have the ability for rapid reloads. When I'm out and about, I carry mine with one in the chamber and a full 17 round mag in the well, and two extra 17 round (usually) magazines for a total of 52 rounds. I hate to loose. I also have a few 20 round mags for it, and a few 32 round mags, but I never carry those because they stick too far out of the grip. They're just for fun, or in case I experience a wave attack at home from the rabbits.

Practice with it until it's second nature, especially the draw and reloading. One dark night when you can't see your hands, you might be grateful for all that practice. If you go to an indoor range, check out their rules for night fire, too. I was surprised to find that, when I'd go for my yearly pistol qualifications, I shot better at night than I did in the light. Not a lot better, but some - I usually scored around 93% day fire on a modified FBI course, and around 96% during night fire on the same course. They usually ran me through the first wave of qualifications so that I was free to assist the range instructors for the rest. Practice is important.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I have a Ruger Security 9 that I use for CC (the full sized one, not the smaller one that feels like a toy). Most of my lady friends carry Taurus 9mm (various models) except Cindy- that bitch carries a .44 in a shoulder holster under her big tee shirts! (She ain't playing around!)

Go with whatever feels right in your hand, that's your best bet.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(04-23-2022, 01:10 AM)Jinmi Wrote: The sig 365 (im a big fan if Sig though)

Good luck.

Sigs are good guns, but you pay for the Swiss craftsmanship! When I was going to go on a PSD contract in Iraq for the new embassy there, the company contracted was issuing M4's and Sigs for sidearms. They're quality you can count on when the shit gets deep.

Taurus used to have a bad rep for poor quality control, but they've fixed that now. In the late 90's, I had a Taurus PT92 that had a wonky chamber that it wouldn't extract from, right out of the box. The newer one I have now, made in the last 10 years or so, has been flawless, and has never let me down. they are the issue weapons for Brazilian military and police, so they've got to perform. These new ones also have a milled-in Picatinny rail just in front of the trigger guard on the receiver for mounting lasers and flashlights, or a combo laser/flashlight unit, but I've not mounted one to it.

It's the same basic weapon as a Beretta 92 or M9, but with a better safety. the safety is mounted on the slide rather than the frame, and is more natural for me since I cut my teeth on Browning HP-35's. I never was able to get used to having to push the safety UP on a Beretta to fire, but the Taurus has the right safety rotation for me.

It has a lot of good features for the money.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(04-23-2022, 02:07 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I have a Ruger Security 9 that I use for CC (the full sized one, not the smaller one that feels like a toy). Most of my lady friends carry Taurus 9mm (various models) except Cindy- that bitch carries a .44 in a shoulder holster under her big tee shirts! (She ain't playing around!)

The one that fit the best and felt just right, was the H&K --- also the more expensive one
Go figure. LMAO

I will have a look at both the Ruger and Taurus ... I didn't try a Taurus, of course, they didn't offer it either

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

I suppose for a concealed carry, you'd want something smaller. You have a Browning 9, which is already awesome. Like OL said, whatever is most comfortable for you is best. I'd suggest going to a range and trying out what's best for you. Also, don't skimp on a good, reliable holster. I carry a Glock, personally. Cheap, quick, reliable, many options. If you got the coin, a Sig or S&W is always great. It really depends on what your needs are.
Full disclosure ... 

We lost all our guns in a boating accident in a lake in southern Indiana.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(04-23-2022, 02:27 AM)senona Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 02:07 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I have a Ruger Security 9 that I use for CC (the full sized one, not the smaller one that feels like a toy). Most of my lady friends carry Taurus 9mm (various models) except Cindy- that bitch carries a .44 in a shoulder holster under her big tee shirts! (She ain't playing around!)

The one that fit the best and felt just right, was the H&K --- also the more expensive one
Go figure. LMAO

I will have a look at both the Ruger and Taurus ... I didn't try a Taurus, of course, they didn't offer it either

I loved it when the wife would call and ask how much we have in the checking account or would be shopping for camping chairs in the local sporting goods store for camping chairs and she would disappear and call me that she was buying a gun. I'm not allowed too.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere

Your Ruger Security 9 has a lot of 5 star reviews from the store I will be buying from.

Aside from them saying it's "a fun gun to shoot" what caught my attention was mentioning how easy it was to tear apart to clean. 
That is good as well

And does not cost as much as the one I really liked.
Which is a plus. Haha

I know if Jim were here, he would say forget the price just get what feels the best in my hand.
But he's not here, so I am more, um, hesitant. 

Thanks for mentioning that one!

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(04-23-2022, 02:43 AM)kdog Wrote: Full disclosure ... 

We lost all our guns in a boating accident in a lake in southern Indiana.

Damn, I hate when that happens. 

Erm, I mean, sorry to hear that.  minusculebiggrin

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(04-23-2022, 02:48 AM)kdog Wrote:

Go figure. LMAO

I loved it when the wife would call and ask how much we have in the checking account or would be shopping for camping chairs in the local sporting goods store for camping chairs and she would disappear and call me that she was buying a gun.

I'm not allowed too.

Funny, not funny. LMAO

But, but .... she must have really needed one  (more than you  minusculetongue)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

I like Cindy!
(04-23-2022, 02:20 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 01:10 AM)Jinmi Wrote: The sig 365 (im a big fan if Sig though)

Good luck.

Sigs are good guns, but you pay for the Swiss craftsmanship! When I was going to go on a PSD contract in Iraq for the new embassy there, the company contracted was issuing M4's and Sigs for sidearms. They're quality you can count on when the shit gets deep.

Taurus used to have a bad rep for poor quality control, but they've fixed that now. In the late 90's, I had a Taurus PT92 that had a wonky chamber that it wouldn't extract from, right out of the box. The newer one I have now, made in the last 10 years or so, has been flawless, and has never let me down. they are the issue weapons for Brazilian military and police, so they've got to perform. These new ones also have a milled-in Picatinny rail just in front of the trigger guard on the receiver for mounting lasers and flashlights, or a combo laser/flashlight unit, but I've not mounted one to it.

It's the same basic weapon as a Beretta 92 or M9, but with a better safety. the safety is mounted on the slide rather than the frame, and is more natural for me since I cut my teeth on Browning HP-35's. I never was able to get used to having to push the safety UP on a Beretta to fire, but the Taurus has the right safety rotation for me.

It has a lot of good features for the money.

I was certainly sold on em.  Especially when looking at the Springfield XDs and price comparison.  (Yes i was suckered by the cool factor!). Speaking of the newer Taurus.

The Sig is a good jump in price, granted and although the quality does too, some argue its not wortb it.  To that I say whats the price of comfort and more practice time?  Sig also just got a US mil contract for the new squad weapon.  IDK if ill jump that high as im a fan of building my own.  The M17 though isbmy fav however not a good choice for CC.
(04-23-2022, 02:59 AM)senona Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 02:48 AM)kdog Wrote:

Go figure. LMAO

I loved it when the wife would call and ask how much we have in the checking account or would be shopping for camping chairs in the local sporting goods store for camping chairs and she would disappear and call me that she was buying a gun.

I'm not allowed too.

Funny, not funny. LMAO

But, but .... she must have really needed one  (more than you  minusculetongue)

A girl's gotta have her baubles, amiright?

Besides I buy whatever I want, Kdog doesn't care. Firearms, ammo, precious metals, stockpiles of all sorts of things... that all got unfortunately lost in that darned boating accident. It was a big boat!  tinybiggrin
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]