Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amazon is a RipOff
You know, Amazon used to be a somewhat cool place to order stuff from, and you could find some good deals.  But not anymore!

Ever since Amazon Prime came out I've been paying attention to prices, and comparing.  Used to be you could get a decent price for Prime items, but there would usually be a bit of a premium (likely the shipping costs being factored in).  Ever since then Amazon prices have steadily crept up.  Lately, prices on Amazon have skyrocketed!

Now, when I compare Amazon to other vendors I see Amazon almost always charging double or even TRIPLE what you can buy the same product for even in a brick and mortar store.  The thing about Amazon of old was you could usually find what you were looking for, and I think they've capitalized on people's laziness (vendors on Amazon, to be clear).  Over about the past year I've gone from just comparing something to an Amazon price to avoiding the place altogether.  I'm actually starting to hate Amazon.

Amazon has always had a lots of Chinese products, but it used to be you could pretty easily spot them.  Now, Amazon intentionally puts a tidal wave of Chinese stuff even before the item you searched on.  So, if you search for a specific brand name it might not even show up on the first page of search results.  It's ridiculous.

I know some people are anti-Amazon, and I get it, but it is convenient, and when you live as far out in the boondocks as we do this convenience translates into real money, especially when you only need a couple things.

Anyway, Amazon sucks now...more than they ever sucked before.  I liked the 'one stop shopping' element of Amazon (still do like the concept), but I'll be damned if I'm gonna' get just stupidly ripped off for items just for that convenience.  I think other people are starting to feel the same way. 

From my perspective, Amazon's days are numbered.  They've lost a great customer in this household, and I probably won't be back.  Once bitten, twice shy, kind of person.

So long, Amazon!

That is all.
(04-13-2022, 05:24 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: .......

From my perspective, Amazon's days are numbered.  They've lost a great customer in this household, and I probably won't be back.  Once bitten, twice shy, kind of person.

So long, Amazon!

That is all.
I will admit prices have risen, Prime annual fee has risen and quality on some things has fallen.

I also comparison shop more, use other vendors, and shop direct a whole lot more.

But it usually beats the hell out of standing in lines, going to stores and never finding what I want and spending a lot on gas.

I don't like bezos much.
But Amazon is still a hell of a good idea.
As is one day shipping on many items I need.
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. 
I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." Frank Herbert, Dune
(04-13-2022, 06:05 AM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 05:24 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: .......

So long, Amazon!

That is all.

I will admit prices have risen, Prime annual fee has risen and quality on some things has fallen.

I also comparison shop more, use other vendors, and shop direct a whole lot more.

But it usually beats the hell out of standing in lines, going to stores and never finding what I want and spending a lot on gas.

I don't like bezos much.
But Amazon is still a hell of a good idea.
As is one day shipping on many items I need.

I'm not one to go "shopping", spending all day driving around town, wasting gas pretty much knowing I am not going to find what I am looking for.

Sure, I am all for supporting the local stores (I rather pay more at local grocery stores than go into Wally World)

But there are some things that I just rather get from Amazon to save me time and money.
Especially when it comes to our travel trailer.

So much cheaper and I do not have to drive 30 miles to the nearest RV place, not knowing if they have what I want anyway. Most of the time, they themselves have to order it online and depending on what it is, the shipping cost alone is high. (free shipping with Amazon)

Also, I have learned to check out the company name of a product I am looking at, read the questions and reviews -- and that usually will tip me off as to where the product will be coming from. 

Sure everything is made in China or another country, but if people complain that it takes weeks to get it, then it means that there is no warehouse in the U.S. and it is literally coming from overseas. 
So those I avoid. LOL

I have to admit, for buying vent covers/RV tape/caulking/door handle, etc etc,  even a damn RV toilet for our 5th wheel is a lot cheaper and more convenient for me to get it from Amazon than driving to the nearest town to the RV place.

Not to mention, returning is easy when needed.
Especially since I work where they accept Amazon returns (and you get a coupon to shop there too)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Senona and DTOM,

I'm all for getting something from Amazon if the item can be had at a reasonable price, but a lot of the stuff I've been looking at lately is far from reasonable.  I still check Amazon, but anymore I'm a lot more apt to shop around at several online locations prior to buying it on Amazon.  That's relatively new.  Not that long ago just about no one could beat Amazon price wise, but now not so much.

And it's not just Amazon proper; the vendors have a lot to do with it too.  I mean, they're the ones who set the prices, not Amazon for the most part, but I think many of the vendors on Amazon are getting greedy.  Just tonight I was looking up A5 sized hardcover notebooks.  Staples had one for $6.29, and the exact same notebook was $19.50 (and that was the cheapest of about 5 amazon vendors).  That's better than 3x the cost on the exact same item.  Just to make sure it wasn't a mistake at Staples, I also checked Office Depot and Target, and their prices were all between $6 and $7 bucks for the same notebook.  Another example, two days ago I was looking for filters for one of my 3M respirators (for auto painting).  Granted, these are not cheap filters, but Amazon wanted $80 bucks for them (and my respirator takes (2) of them).  I found them for $29 buck for a set elsewhere, and again I checked several places and they were all the same ballpark.  $80 bucks on Amazon vs. $29 bucks elsewhere (that's more than 2.7x higher on Amazon).  The real kicker was...these filters aren't even sold separately, they're sold in pairs! 

If it was 10-15%, and I could get it next day, then no problem, but it was 270% higher on Amazon.  Hey, I was born at night, but I wasn't born LAST night, Amazon!

And another thing, I see a lot of reviews where people are getting 'used' stuff on Amazon when they bought new.  I was reading the reviews on my filters (above) and several people said the ones they got from Amazon were not in the foil packaging.  WHOA!  That's a BIG deal!!  Someone could get killed over stuff like that!  Those filters have a lifespan, and once they come out of the foil packaging the clock starts ticking.  Use an old one where the activated carbon is spent, and you could be taking the big "dirt nap" from just a few minutes in a paint booth!!!  Same for insecticides...you don't mess around with that stuff.  I don't think it was malicious, probably just someone exchanged the product when it didn't fit their off-brand respirator, but still.  I've seen the same thing on Amazon Basics (stuff sold by Amazon itself, as the vendor).  Not respirator filters, but things like luggage and other items, and people receive stuff which is clearly worn or used, but sold as new.  That's straight-up fraud right there.  Granted, it's not all Amazon's fault, but they don't do anything to police stuff like that either, AND Amazon's return policy is so generous it just invites behavior like that because Amazon just pushes it all off on the vendor (so the vendor has no recourse outside of an insurance claim which they're not gonna' do unless it's big bucks).

Anyway, if the product can be had for reasonable prices from Amazon I'm all for it.

BTW...I really don't have an issue with products from China (like some do).  The reality is, China can manufacture stuff cheaper than the US, and unfortunately it's just a fact of life...and money don't grow on trees (at least not in my yard anyway).  So China wasn't the issue, as much as the way Amazon prioritizes some of the Chinese products over specific search results for an exact manufacturer (like an alternate).
Amazon can be a bit pricey now so I tend to "shop around" the web before purchasing. Membership does definitely have its perks though.

It is so much more convenient when you have parents, siblings,  kids and grandkids scattered around the country to order from Amazon and have gifts delivered directly to them. While some websites offer that the majority do not, or it's a big pain in the ass. I send birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day- heck, all gifting nearly- through Amazon and it is still much, much cheaper paying for that Prime membership than what I spend shipping through the post office not to mention over an hour of time saved standing in line there. Also it saves gas from running around shopping and I can shop at night where in real world shopping I have to limit myself to daytime only due to my vision.

I have found that subscribing to channels is cheaper going directly to the app websites than subscribing through Prime. For example AMC+ is $12.99 per month through Prime but I paid only $24 for a whole year directly through AMC so they are really sticking it to people on that sort of thing!

I cannot stress enough how much we LOVE Amazon Music! Since we listen to music 100x more than we watch television it is well worth the monthly fee, plus you can listen to podcasts as well. It is very rare that there is an artist, album or song that isn't available.

I feel that just like everywhere Amazon has its pros and cons, for me more pros and definitely better than Walmart.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
I just read this.

Quote:Amazon adds 5% ‘fuel and inflation surcharge’ to seller fees
Amazon.com said Wednesday it will add a 5% “fuel and inflation surcharge” to fees it charges third-party sellers who use the retailer’s fulfillment services as the company faces rising costs.

The company said in an announcement on its website that the added fees, which will take effect on April 28, are “subject to change” and will apply to both apparel and non-apparel items. Amazon didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Federal data released Tuesday showed inflation jumped 8.5% in March, its fastest pace in more than 40 years. Gasoline prices rocketed 48% in the past 12 months.

The online retailer said the fees will apply to products ordered before April 28 but shipped and delivered after that date
Source

You can thank our Shitty Economy and this Administration for the high cost of everything.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(04-13-2022, 09:22 PM)guohua Wrote: I just read this.

Amazon.com said Wednesday it will add a 5% “fuel and inflation surcharge” to fees it charges third-party sellers who use the retailer’s fulfillment services as the company faces rising costs.

The company said in an announcement on its website that the added fees, which will take effect on April 28, are “subject to change” and will apply to both apparel and non-apparel items. Amazon didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Federal data released Tuesday showed inflation jumped 8.5% in March, its fastest pace in more than 40 years. Gasoline prices rocketed 48% in the past 12 months.

The online retailer said the fees will apply to products ordered before April 28 but shipped and delivered after that date
Source

You can thank our Shitty Economy and this Administration for the high cost of everything.

It's all Putin's fault, didn't you get the memo ? LMAO !!!
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(04-13-2022, 10:17 PM)kdog Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 09:22 PM)guohua Wrote: I just read this.

Source

It's all Putin's fault, didn't you get the memo ? LMAO !!!

smallrofl True,,, My husband was on the phone with a customer service rep. from our cell phone company yesterday.
She said he should drive to their AT&T store to check the availability of their boosters for wifi.
My husband told her that was stupid, fuel prices where to high for him to waste the time, she should have the answer. 
She replied with, " Yes it is all Russia's Fault." 
My husband Went Off!  minusculeredtantrum

Asking her "How in the Hell can Russia be involved when we don't purchase our oil from them and what the FUCK are you doing watching CNN and NBC anyway, how Stupid are you?"
"I guess you forgot Obama raised fuel prices and wanted everyone to go electric and Trump lowered the prices and then Brain Dead Biden raises prices of everything. You are an Uniform and Ignorant Woman, YOU have no clue how this world works."
So he hung-up on her after 3 seconds of silence from her you can hear her taking a breath to reply I think.
Then he gets an email wanting to know how satisfied he was with their customer service.
You just don't want to know his reply.  tinylaughing
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(04-13-2022, 07:49 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Senona and DTOM,

I'm all for getting something from Amazon if the item can be had at a reasonable price, but a lot of the stuff I've been looking at lately is far from reasonable.  I still check Amazon, but anymore I'm a lot more apt to shop around at several online locations prior to buying it on Amazon.  That's relatively new.  Not that long ago just about no one could beat Amazon price wise, but now not so much.

And it's not just Amazon proper; the vendors have a lot to do with it too.  I mean, they're the ones who set the prices, not Amazon for the most part, but I think many of the vendors on Amazon are getting greedy.  Just tonight I was looking up A5 sized hardcover notebooks.  Staples had one for $6.29, and the exact same notebook was $19.50 (and that was the cheapest of about 5 amazon vendors).  That's better than 3x the cost on the exact same item.  Just to make sure it wasn't a mistake at Staples, I also checked Office Depot and Target, and their prices were all between $6 and $7 bucks for the same notebook.  Another example, two days ago I was looking for filters for one of my 3M respirators (for auto painting).  Granted, these are not cheap filters, but Amazon wanted $80 bucks for them (and my respirator takes (2) of them).  I found them for $29 buck for a set elsewhere, and again I checked several places and they were all the same ballpark.  $80 bucks on Amazon vs. $29 bucks elsewhere (that's more than 2.7x higher on Amazon).  The real kicker was...these filters aren't even sold separately, they're sold in pairs! 

If it was 10-15%, and I could get it next day, then no problem, but it was 270% higher on Amazon.  Hey, I was born at night, but I wasn't born LAST night, Amazon!

And another thing, I see a lot of reviews where people are getting 'used' stuff on Amazon when they bought new.  I was reading the reviews on my filters (above) and several people said the ones they got from Amazon were not in the foil packaging.  WHOA!  That's a BIG deal!!  Someone could get killed over stuff like that!  Those filters have a lifespan, and once they come out of the foil packaging the clock starts ticking.  Use an old one where the activated carbon is spent, and you could be taking the big "dirt nap" from just a few minutes in a paint booth!!!  Same for insecticides...you don't mess around with that stuff.  I don't think it was malicious, probably just someone exchanged the product when it didn't fit their off-brand respirator, but still.  I've seen the same thing on Amazon Basics (stuff sold by Amazon itself, as the vendor).  Not respirator filters, but things like luggage and other items, and people receive stuff which is clearly worn or used, but sold as new.  That's straight-up fraud right there.  Granted, it's not all Amazon's fault, but they don't do anything to police stuff like that either, AND Amazon's return policy is so generous it just invites behavior like that because Amazon just pushes it all off on the vendor (so the vendor has no recourse outside of an insurance claim which they're not gonna' do unless it's big bucks).

Anyway, if the product can be had for reasonable prices from Amazon I'm all for it.

BTW...I really don't have an issue with products from China (like some do).  The reality is, China can manufacture stuff cheaper than the US, and unfortunately it's just a fact of life...and money don't grow on trees (at least not in my yard anyway).  So China wasn't the issue, as much as the way Amazon prioritizes some of the Chinese products over specific search results for an exact manufacturer (like an alternate).

I completely understand where you are coming from about the increase in prices, hence why I research first before I buy anything. 

When it comes to notebooks and such, I usually go to Office Depot so I can look at them in person. 
To see how they are made and the quality. 

CVS has some planners/notebooks that are made nice for a little more, but I usually get a 40% off coupon for one item and will use it on it

YES, I have noticed that too about the complaints of receiving used items.
So far, knock on wood, I have yet to experience that.

But if I ever do, you can bet your sweet azz I will be returning it. LOL
(.... and get a coupon from Kohls while I'm at it  minusculerolleyes)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

I get my books from Amazon.

I won't shop at Powells any more.

They went woke and started banning books.  A frikin' bookstore banning books.
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Oh, just wanted to clarify, Powell's Books, once an awesome store who's claim to fame is displaying, "banned books" will not sell Andy Ngo's book on Antifa.

Woke assholes.

tinysure
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Unless you luck out and get a deal on Amazon and some auto parts stores....buying local is usually cheaper here.  Most people don't know that.  A regular customer with an account can get some pretty decent prices locally from a lot of places.  There are things you cannot get locally though, sometimes we do buy online, but usually we don't spend more than a couple of hundred bucks a year online.  I would rather support our local people than a billionaire somewhere else.
I live in the boonies and quite frankly, for a lot of items Amazon is my only choice. There are no stores near me to get somethings I need. 

Yes, it feels like being over a barrel but at the same time I am grateful there is an option. 

Prices have risen all over the place, and I agree that Amazon is no exception. Prime used to be really cool. Then the lockdowns hit and shipping came later and later. 

I still have to do my due diligence on shopping. You are right, sometimes there are better deals elsewhere and I go that way then. Recently found a deal on an item that saved me 37% outside of Amazon. Jumped on it.