Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 lbs Of Hamburger, Ground Beef
(04-09-2022, 12:57 AM)kdog Wrote: I can't remember the last time I saw lamb for sale at the stores here. I made lamb chops over 20 years ago in South Carolina.

We can thank the animal rights activists like People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA) for that!

I comment to the wife about the lack of lamb in stores all the time also.
(04-09-2022, 01:23 AM)kdog Wrote: Here in northern Kentucky , they put spaghetti noodles in the chili. It's just wrong.

Weirdly...
I made Chilli many years ago, before discovering that we were out of rice...
So, I served it on a bed of plain spaghetti and... it was absolutely delicious!

Now, when I make home-made Chilli, we often have it on spaghetti because it just works well together even though you'd NEVER think that it would!!

I had no idea that Chilli and Spaghetti was a "thing" anywhere else!

minusculebeercheersG
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
My Lamb Hot-Pot from last night was AMAZING!!

As I mentioned, I don't have a recipe, but just add whatever stuff I have lying around that needs used up!

Last nights had...

Diced lamb, chunky Potato & Carrot, green Beans, Mint, Mixed herbs, and Lamb gravy (from a powdered gravy mix), seasoning (Salt & Ground Black Pepper)... I think that's about it??? 

Browned the lamb in a little oil, added the chunky cut veg and herbs, then slow-cooked it all in the gravy for 2.5hrs.
Served it with buttered mash potato.

nom nom nom.
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(04-09-2022, 01:23 AM)kdog Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 12:58 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 06:55 PM)Snarl Wrote: Yeah ... Put some of that stuff in your No Bean Chili ... Yee Ha!!

Grace prefers the no-bean chili too, because she just don't like beans. I can't do it. Chili without beans seems just a little sacrilegious to me. it would be like eating beanless "cowboy beans", or a meatless hamburger. To me, it just seems... wrong...

Here in northern Kentucky , they put spaghetti noodles in the chili. It's just wrong.

There are no drills large enough to plumb the depths of the wrongness of that.

It is so wrong, the very idea is sure to give me nightmares.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Explanation: Time for a time warp ...

And ...

Personal Disclosure: Show me where your noms at ...

Enjoy minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
(04-08-2022, 06:55 PM)Snarl Wrote: Yeah ... Put some of that stuff in your No Bean Chili ... Yee Ha!!

Grace prefers the no-bean chili too, because she just don't like beans. I can't do it. Chili without beans seems just a little sacrilegious to me. it would be like eating beanless "cowboy beans", or a meatless hamburger. To me, it just seems... wrong...

Here in northern Kentucky , they put spaghetti noodles in the chili. It's just wrong.

I was just gonna' say...'must be northern Kentucky'. 

Probably related to the whole 'Cincinnati Chili' thing.  I'll never forget; my wife and I got stuck on a lay-over at Cincinnati airport one time.  I saw a sign which said "Chili" and that sounded really good in that moment.  I went to order some and the gal asked me if I wanted a "2-way" or a "3-way".  I figured the wife probably wasn't too into that, but this gal's co-worker looked pretty hot and we had plenty of time so I thought, what the hell' and told her I wanted a "3-way".

As I started unbuttoning my shirt right there in the airport this gal plonks down a bowl of spaghetti with meat sauce and cheddar cheese on it on the counter  I immediately said..."COOL!!  This is gonna' be pretty hinky, huh???  Far out!!", as I started to undo my belt.  Then some old stick-in-the-mud behind me tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the sign overhead.  That's when I saw the "2-way" and "3-way" explanations.  Bummer, no Raunch-goob Thunder-bunny for me today!  But there was a problem. ...

Not only had I not ordered pasta Bolognese, I'd ordered Chili, but what's up with the Cheddar cheese on pasta anyway???  I was hungry, and I'd embarrassed myself enough already, so I just took my "3-way" whatever it was and went on my way.  I figured asking for Parmesan was probably pointless.  A moment later I took a bite of my pasta dish and almost spit it out when I immediately discovered they'd accidentally spilled Cinnamon in it.

To make a long story even longer; after a bit I discovered it's "supposed" to be like that.  I'd never heard of "Cincinnati Chili" before, but I'd just returned to the US from living for several years in SE Asia so I just figured maybe things had changed in America, and I wasn't "Hep" with all the cool cats anymore.  Heh, after eating a few bites I realized this pasta stuff was actually pretty damn good!  In fact, it was great!  Oh boy, was I gonna' have a story to tell my buddies when I got back to SE Asia, about my "3-way" and gettin' all 'Ultrakinkified' in the love-dungeon of Cincinnati Airport without havin' to do the Poop-Chute Boogy or gettin' into the Cleveland Meatspin jive.  What a liberating experience...and the food was pretty good too!
(04-09-2022, 09:36 AM)gordi Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 01:23 AM)kdog Wrote: Here in northern Kentucky , they put spaghetti noodles in the chili. It's just wrong.

Weirdly...
I made Chilli many years ago, before discovering that we were out of rice...
So, I served it on a bed of plain spaghetti and... it was absolutely delicious!

Now, when I make home-made Chilli, we often have it on spaghetti because it just works well together even though you'd NEVER think that it would!!

I had no idea that Chilli and Spaghetti was a "thing" anywhere else!

minusculebeercheersG

Probably not terribly weird. I make a dish called "Chicken and Spaghetti" (quite literally..lol) and it's pretty much just that, cooked spaghetti, pulled rotisserie chicken, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soupd with a can of rotels and some cheese thrown in to boot. (I cook the noodles in chicken broth for the added flavor)

It's quite good. Even @"Ninurta" will eat it, although he probably picks the chicken out .. lol.
(04-09-2022, 01:36 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:

I was just gonna' say...'must be northern Kentucky'. 

Probably related to the whole 'Cincinnati Chili' thing.  I'll never forget; my wife and I got stuck on a lay-over at Cincinnati airport one time.  I saw a sign which said "Chili" and that sounded really good in that moment.  I went to order some and the gal asked me if I wanted a "2-way" or a "3-way".  I figured the wife probably wasn't too into that, but this gal's co-worker looked pretty hot and we had plenty of time so I thought, what the hell' and told her I wanted a "3-way".

As I started unbuttoning my shirt right there in the airport this gal plonks down a bowl of spaghetti with meat sauce and cheddar cheese on it on the counter  I immediately said..."COOL!!  This is gonna' be pretty hinky, huh???  Far out!!", as I started to undo my belt.  Then some old stick-in-the-mud behind me tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the sign overhead.  That's when I saw the "2-way" and "3-way" explanations.  Bummer, no Raunch-goob Thunder-bunny for me today!  But there was a problem. ...

Not only had I not ordered pasta Bolognese, I'd ordered Chili, but what's up with the Cheddar cheese on pasta anyway???  I was hungry, and I'd embarrassed myself enough already, so I just took my "3-way" whatever it was and went on my way.  I figured asking for Parmesan was probably pointless.  A moment later I took a bite of my pasta dish and almost spit it out when I immediately discovered they'd accidentally spilled Cinnamon in it.

To make a long story even longer; after a bit I discovered it's "supposed" to be like that.  I'd never heard of "Cincinnati Chili" before, but I'd just returned to the US from living for several years in SE Asia so I just figured maybe things had changed in America, and I wasn't "Hep" with all the cool cats anymore.  Heh, after eating a few bites I realized this pasta stuff was actually pretty damn good!  In fact, it was great!  Oh boy, was I gonna' have a story to tell my buddies when I got back to SE Asia, about my "3-way" and gettin' all 'Ultrakinkified' in the love-dungeon of Cincinnati Airport without havin' to do the Poop-Chute Boogy or gettin' into the Cleveland Meatspin jive.  What a liberating experience...and the food was pretty good too!
Sounds like the Skyline restaurant like the ones around here. Yeah, that funny taste of whatever they put in it. The chili dogs are ok.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(04-09-2022, 09:49 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Time for a time warp ...

I've met that guy. He works at as Townsend and Son . Met him 20 or 25 years ago at a re-enactment of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in Greensboro, NC. Townsend's was a sutler, and had a booth set up in a tent there. I bought a hand forged tomahawk and a reproduction copy of the report of Col. Bouquet's expedition against the Indians. By "reproduction", I mean an exact reproduction - printed on period paper, on a period press, with a period binding. It had one of my so-many-greats back grannies listed in a list of captives "liberated" from the Shawnee around 1764. "Liberated" is in quotes because most of the captives didn't want to be repatriated.

Those sliders look interesting, but I'm pretty sure I can do without sugar and cinnamon on a hamburger. Otherwise, without that embellishment, they look like they might just be the ticket.

I have a thing for White Castle sliders, but they've gotten to be ridiculously expensive for what you get, so @"Grace" researched them and got the stuff to make 'em here at home, I dunno what all goes into it, but she can tell ya.

The "garum" mentioned in the second video is a fermented fish sauce, like Worcestershire (England) or nuoc mam (Vietnam). He has another video somewhere explaining how to make it.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’