Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Got a Phobia? Share it!
Had fun with this thread back over there on TOS so I thought I'd bring it here for some fun. Here is my opening post in its entirety:

"Ok, Just posted a thread on spiders and it reminded me of how I got my fear of the little buggers. It also made me wonder what other Phobias some members might have and if they remember how they developed them.

I am curious as to how Phobias develop. Some are from personal experiences while others are instilled in us from other people. Others as I understand are inherited.

So here goes...

My Phobia...Spiders!

When I was about 3 or 4 yrs old, I was outside and walking down a sidewalk in front of our house. Lo and behold I came across a big-ass spider (not sure what type of course) Northern Manitoba, Canada if anyone knows the spiders in the North.

Anyway, being young and invincible I decided to stomp on it to see it go all squishy. (Kids stuff) And I do mean it was big! Not tarantula big but the body I remember being the size of maybe a quarter. Big in my World.

So, I did it! Stomped it and lifted my foot to see the damage. I then noticed that there were what seemed like millions (not really) of little dust size things crawling over my foot and up my leg. I had shorts on at the time.

Yup! BABY SPIDERS! Crawling all over me and I was afraid to touch them. They kept crawling up my legs, into my shorts. I was screaming, my mother came out of the house and started screaming ( adding to my horror of course) and I started running and trying to roll on the grass to get these things off.

Well, mom came to the rescue and all was ok except that I didn't sleep properly for weeks and to this day...Can't get near 'em.

Well, you get it.

So that's mine...What's yours? "

I believe an admission of a phobia should be mandatory around here tinyangry 

Jude
My phobia is wasps!  I have had a fear for as long as I can remember, and never understood why.  Everyone else would just be calm when one was flying around, but I was up screaming and practicing my ninja routine on sight of the thing!

Well, my cousin happened to mention what happened one day when she was over at my house when we were kids and asked if I remembered it.
We had a building behind the house and a mama cat had kittens in it. The building had a side window on it, so I grabbed a bucket to stand on so we could look in the window and watch the kittens.
I went first.  As I stood up I stuck my head right smack dab in the middle of a wasp nest and they stung me all over my head and face!!  My cousin said I was screaming and in a total panic. 

I don't remember any of that.  I guess I had put that traumatic incident out of my mind as I got older.
I was glad to finally know why I had such a fear of wasps.  I had gone for years not understanding my reaction to them.
(09-10-2016, 10:29 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: My phobia is wasps!  I have had a fear for as long as I can remember, and never understood why.  Everyone else would just be calm when one was flying around, but I was up screaming and practicing my ninja routine on sight of the thing!

Well, my cousin happened to mention what happened one day when she was over at my house when we were kids and asked if I remembered it.
We had a building behind the house and a mama cat had kittens in it. The building had a side window on it, so I grabbed a bucket to stand on so we could look in the window and watch the kittens.
I went first.  As I stood up I stuck my head right smack dab in the middle of a wasp nest and they stung me all over my head and face!!  My cousin said I was screaming and in a total panic. 

I don't remember any of that.  I guess I had put that traumatic incident out of my mind as I got older.
I was glad to finally know why I had such a fear of wasps.  I had gone for years not understanding my reaction to them.
I also have a slight phobia with wasps. Got stung in my eye when I was a young sproutling and lost half my sight due to it.

Still, spiders are #1 for me. Little buggers!
With 13 evil-exes am now got extreme phobia of marriage .... and a monthly pub tab larger than the annual gdp of most countries ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

The sound of Rushing or Swirling Water, a large amount, Like a Whirlpool getting sucked in.
It's like in a previous life I drowned below decks of a ship, I hate water I can't see the bottom of.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Creepy crawlies and critters don't really bother me....but rather annoy me.
Being as I'm bigger and meaner than them, I can squash them if need be.

Guess what bothers me is Mother Nature herself, being as we work outdoors.
 Being caught in a tornado when working.

We came close 2 or 3 times in the past being hit by a tornado, scared the shit out of me, being as we had no where to go really for cover.

Once we were working a rodeo in Springdale, AR (outdoor arena)

A storm came up quick, cops were able to give us a slight warning to allow us time to get our merchandise inside our concession trailer.
I was inside getting our money out of the register when the lights went out and it was  pitch black.
Everyone around us screamed...it was eerie like out of a horror movie.
That scared me even more.......I told Jim DO NOT leave me. LOL.

By then, the cops would not let anyone leave the grounds being as the tornado was on ground, not sure where it was.
Luckily nothing happened. It dissipated about 10 miles west of us.

Believe it or not, the rodeo went on once the storm passed.

-------

Another time we were driving thru Oklahoma, I was following behind Jim and at that time, we had no phones or radios to talk.
I had been listening to the weather reports on the radio and had no way of warning Jim that we were fixin to run into some bad shit.

Jim could sense that the storm was gonna get bad and pulled over at a service station to let the storm pass.
 Once it blew over and calmed down, we took off again and about 7-8 miles down the road, there were vehicles turned over where either straight line winds caught them or a small tornado. We weren't sure....just glad that we stopped when we did.

--------

This time we were in MS and there had already been storms popping up all over the place, with severe wind damage and hail.
A couple of tornadoes had been spotted during the day.

Jim and I got in our blazer when we heard that a tornado was coming our way....we knew of a drive that had a huge culvert under it not far from the fairgrounds, so we drove to it and parked the blazer, waiting, watching the sky.
We had planned on jumping in the ditch and climb inside the culvert if we saw it.
Luckily, nothing happened so we went back to the fairgrounds.

But yeah, Mother Nature can be a bitch and scares me with her unpredictability.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Spiders are mine as well.  I don't know for sure why, but I know waking up in the middle of the night, and having one on the ceiling above you doesn't help.

I can handle them outside, and for the most part, let them go on their merry way.  I even tell them, if they would stay outside, they can live.  (I don't think they listen very well)

But for some reason, daddy long legs don't bother me.

We consider these daddy long legs around here.
[Image: th?id=OIP.Ma959d9caf687d0a8c6f76dff60cc3f1fH0&pid=15.1]
Loch Ness.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Cenosillicaphobia. BIG TIME minusculebeercheers
But in all seriousness, WASPS are definitely up there. I used to have a theory that "god" can see everything because he's actually the leader of an alien civilization. And EVERY insect on earth can transmit audio, video, and environmental data. They are his army of Geiger counters, spies, and scientists.

Wasps, they are the fighter jets controlled by a homicidal maniac tinycool tinyangry
Not admitting to any phobias, as I am fearless :p

Well, that and there is no way anyone will use a phobia against me, as was done on Winston in 1984.  Chilling scene.

I like the analogy of wasps as "fighter jets" - very clever.  So ants would be the infantry, slugs would be tanks ... any more?
... And underwear.
(09-13-2016, 09:37 PM)BIAD Wrote: ... And underwear.

I can relate...

New ones? Not so much.

But used? ewwwww!!!!...lol

Jude
(09-14-2016, 06:33 AM)Jude Wrote:

I can relate...

New ones? Not so much.

Jude

Depends who wore them last

tinydrroling

Go commando, then you will have no fear.
Although, it may get a little drafty.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(09-21-2016, 01:42 AM)senona Wrote: Go commando, then you will have no fear.
Although, it may get a little drafty.
Oh he does Sen... and it's having an effect on the surrounding neighbourhood.
When we first moved here and before BIAD showed up, I tapped small nails into
the top of the fence to stop any would-be burglars from climbing over into my
garden.

Nowadays, I've seen grown men crossing themselves and holding their breath as
Boy In A Dress -sans underwear, balances along said-fence for some air-brained
and unknown reason.
Mind you, the passing females love it though.

For myself... I've forego eating carrots and meatballs.
tinywhat
(09-14-2016, 06:33 AM)Jude Wrote: I can relate...

New ones? Not so much.

Jude

I attempted to trick BIAD by telling him I'd purchased a pair of briefs from Ebay that I told
him once belonged to Elvis Presley and I thought I'd gotten away with it.

Then later in the day, I could hear screams of delight and wolf-whistles coming from where
the garden is close to the road. There, all decked-out in rhinestones and tassels, Boy In A Dress
strutted his stuff and sang 'Hunka-Hunka Burning Love' at the top of his voice.

It wasn't until I saw him perform the reverse action of a Tom Jones concert and throw the
used-skiddies out at his begging crowd, that I realised my plan had failed.

So now he walks... without.

When I was a kid, I was raised on a farm with acres of land. One day, I'm out there playing far from home. As I sat on a huge rock, I heard some funny sounds from behind me so stretched out to have a look as to what it was...

[Image: gartersnake572x374.jpg]

I totally freaked out, fearing of falling onto them. That always stayed with me.

Yesterday, I was in St-Eustache doing a delivery and the girl at the reception asked me if I saw a snake outside.

"What?"

"Yeah, someone lost a python and it's on the loose. It escaped a house on Laurier St, which is just the next street after this mall..."

Ok. I tried not to show it but...

huhehuh

When I was in Mexico, last year, we had drivers that drove us from one location to another on the site. One morning, we're sitting in the back of this little crappy golf buggy that they use and he suddenly slows down...

" Why you stopping?" I ask him.

"Look....snake..." he says, pointing at the beast making its way across the road right in front of us.

Louise (my gf) thought I was going to punch the guy.

I'm sort of happy he was Mexican, speaking Spanish, very little French or English as I baptised him every other name in the book, in both languages lol ...

Yeah. Wanna see me scream like a little girl while I run with both hands in the air like a lunatic? Throw a snake at me.

I HATE snakes. Almost as much as Radical Islamists. And that should tell you sumtin'.

mediumshhhh
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(09-22-2016, 10:06 PM)Sol Wrote:

When I was a kid, I was raised on a farm with acres of land. One day, I'm out there playing far from home. As I sat on a huge rock, I heard some funny sounds from behind me so stretched out to have a look as to what it was...

[Image: gartersnake572x374.jpg]

I totally freaked out, fearing of falling onto them. That always stayed with me.

Yesterday, I was in St-Eustache doing a delivery and the girl at the reception asked me if I saw a snake outside.

"What?"

"Yeah, someone lost a python and it's on the loose. It escaped a house on Laurier St, which is just the next street after this mall..."

Ok. I tried not to show it but...

huhehuh

When I was in Mexico, last year, we had drivers that drove us from one location to another on the site. One morning, we're sitting in the back of this little crappy golf buggy that they use and he suddenly slows down...

" Why you stopping?" I ask him.

"Look....snake..." he says, pointing at the beast making its way across the road right in front of us.

Louise (my gf) thought I was going to punch the guy.

I'm sort of happy he was Mexican, speaking Spanish, very little French or English as I baptised him every other name in the book, in both languages lol ...

Yeah. Wanna see me scream like a little girl while I run with both hands in the air like a lunatic? Throw a snake at me.

I HATE snakes. Almost as much as Radical Islamists. And that should tell you sumtin'.

mediumshhhh
It's always a mystery for most as to how or why we develop or even inherit phobias.

I hope people know that this thread is not to ridicule our fears but as a confessional of sorts. A place to lay it all out and to maybe share whilst having a giggle or two at the human experience.

Thanks all for sharing and especially for laying bare the most private part of ourselves. This is how we are meant to be.

Jude
(09-25-2016, 07:18 AM)Jude Wrote: It's always a mystery for most as to how or why we develop or even inherit phobias.

I hope people know that this thread is not to ridicule our fears but as a confessional of sorts.
A place to lay it all out and to maybe share whilst having a giggle or two at the human experience.

Thanks all for sharing and especially for laying bare the most private part of ourselves. This is how we are meant to be.

Jude

The thing is... I am a good swimmer and I've never feared swimming in or under the sea.
Lakes...? No problem, there's no tides to worry about and I've swam in rivers since I was
a kid.

But Loch Ness... I know it's waiting there just under the surface.
I'd wager it's never taken a human before and I'm certain it prefers to stay in mid-water out
of the way of the boat traffic.
That is rational and makes sense.

But when I stood on the wet stones just beneath Urquhart Castle, I knew it was rushing towards
the shore with a big sh*t-eating grin on it's face! " He's here..." the Monster was burbling in the water
"...He's actually stood right at the edge!"

The newspapers would have a field-day and the scientific world would have to finally admit
to the creature's existence. Hip-hip, bloody-hurray! Tourism in Scotland would sky-rocket
and Gordi would be there at the entrance of a car-park in Drumnadrochit selling copies of
his book 'My friend, Boy In A Dress'

But deep in that peaty water, I would be jammed under a log or something with the Monster
sitting on the silty bottom beside me, smiling in the knowledge that the only thing I feared
(wife accepted) had bided it's time and obtained it's long-wished-for prize.

*Shudder* tinybighuh