Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
“Better than our most optimistic prediction” – first images from James Webb
With every step completed were another step closer to an exciting new age of discovery , as a taster for that new age NASA have released the first (non scientific) image from Webb following it's successful main mirror alignment over the past few weeks.

The picture shows a Star situated some 258.5 light-years away from Earth that was chosen as the calibration target because it was unremarkable but the image of it returned by Webb has astronomers jumping for joy , not only does it show Webb is working but the image also shows many other Galaxies.
[Image: telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled_1200.jpg]

Quote:In a virtual briefing, NASA officials expressed their overwhelming joy and relief at what these first images represent.

“We said last fall that we would know that the telescope is working properly when we have an image of a star that looks like a star,” says Lee Feinberg, Webb optical telescope element manager at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. “Now you’re seeing that image. And I’m happy to say that the optical performance of the telescope is absolutely phenomenal, it is really working extremely well. The performance is as good if not better than our most optimistic prediction.”
https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/exploration/first-photos-james-webb-telescope/

There are still a few weeks to wait yet but if that's the quality of the engineering images I really can't wait for the scientific images.
tinyloveit
(03-19-2022, 07:30 PM)Gortex Wrote: With every step completed were another step closer to an exciting new age of discovery , as a taster for that new age NASA have released the first (non scientific) image from Webb following it's successful main mirror alignment over the past few weeks.

The picture shows a Star situated some 258.5 light-years away from Earth that was chosen as the calibration target because it was unremarkable but the image of it returned by Webb has astronomers jumping for joy , not only does it show Webb is working but the image also shows many other Galaxies.

Quote:In a virtual briefing, NASA officials expressed their overwhelming joy and relief at what these first images represent.

“We said last fall that we would know that the telescope is working properly when we have an image of a star that looks like a star,” says Lee Feinberg, Webb optical telescope element manager at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. “Now you’re seeing that image. And I’m happy to say that the optical performance of the telescope is absolutely phenomenal, it is really working extremely well. The performance is as good if not better than our most optimistic prediction.”

There are still a few weeks to wait yet but if that's the quality of the engineering images I really can't wait for the scientific images.
tinyloveit
All bodes well, both for Webb and you keeping us updated.?
Neat. I'm looking forward to future images from the Webb telescope.
(03-19-2022, 07:33 PM)Freeborn Wrote: All bodes well, both for Webb and you keeping us updated.?

Judging by the image all bodes well indeed , for Webb.
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for us mate.
(03-19-2022, 07:30 PM)Gortex Wrote: With every step completed were another step closer to an exciting new age of discovery , as a taster for that new age NASA have released the first (non scientific) image from Webb following it's successful main mirror alignment over the past few weeks.

tinyloveit

Beautiful sight.

Like grains of sand in an hour glass. 

I don't think we are even close to understanding all that is on our little blue marble, so I think we will just find more things that we won't be able to understand on discovery.

But looking is part of the knowing. I hope that we don't open Pandora's box, or piss off a few entities, that do not want our company.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Glad I won't be missing these updates from you, gortex.

Now that it's calibrated they should be able to start completing surveys and studies.

I can't wait to see what comes of it.
Amazing!

And the galaxies in the background leave me speechless.

Thank you for sharing!