Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Egg prices Soar
Quote:Egg Prices Soar As Highly Pathogenic Bird Flu Spreads Ahead Of Easter 
[Image: picture-5.jpg]by Tyler Durden
Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 - 06:20 AM
Add eggs to the growing list of food prices rising at grocery stores. The reason is a highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) spreading across the US.
Bloomberg reports HPAI has been detected in commercial poultry operations, backyard farms, and wild flocks up and down the East Coast and across the Midwest since Jan. 26.
[Image: 2022-03-17_07-37-06.png?itok=ryQ-vLgk]

The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has monitored the spread rippling through the US. Standard procedures for farms where HPAI has been detected are cull infected flocks. Last week, APHIS said 2.8 million chickens and turkeys died in one month from the virus. At least one million birds were recently culled at a poultry farm in Iowa. 
Karyn Rispoli, a poultry market analyst at commodity researcher Urner Barry, warns egg prices are beginning to rise due to lost production. She said peak demand for eggs is underway as Easter fast approaches, pushing prices even higher. 
HPAI spreading to more farms, thus triggering more cullings, risks future supply disruptions. As wholesale prices increase, consumers are expected to notice rising egg prices, just as inflation soars to four-decade highs
Urner Barry data shows wholesale eggs jumped 10 cents to $1.60 a dozen Wednesday, the most significant daily gain since the early days of the virus pandemic. The five-year average for wholesale eggs is around $1.44. 
John Brunnquell, CEO of producer Egg Innovations, said prices would continue rising in the coming weeks, and consumers will notice. 
Quote:"Bidding remains very strong among different egg companies, and so you're going to see significantly higher" prices at grocery stores, Brunnquell said.
Since the HPAI spread is recent, there's no telling if it will abate anytime soon. The last outbreak, in 2015, resulted in the culling of 50 million laying hens across 15 states, pushing retail Grade A Egg prices to nearly $3 a dozen. Prices are currently at $2. 
[Image: Snag_146e4259_0.png?itok=UY4MQj7u]
Retail prices are at the highest in five years for this time of year.
[Image: Snag_146ec2a5.png?itok=urGamJtJ]
The largest concern is the spread of HPAI as wild flocks migrate across the country. Even before the emergence of the virus, the 2015 culling has resulted in declines in egg-laying chickens. 
"When you layer that on top of that what's going on with avian influenza, and the precedent of 2015, the impact on the market could be material," Stephens analyst Ben Bienvenu warned.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/eg...ead-easter
(03-19-2022, 06:07 AM)727Sky Wrote:
Quote:Egg Prices Soar As Highly Pathogenic Bird Flu Spreads Ahead Of Easter 
[Image: picture-5.jpg]by Tyler Durden
Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 - 06:20 AM
Add eggs to the growing list of food prices rising at grocery stores. The reason is a highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) spreading across the US.
Bloomberg reports HPAI has been detected in commercial poultry operations, backyard farms, and wild flocks up and down the East Coast and across the Midwest since Jan. 26.
[Image: 2022-03-17_07-37-06.png?itok=ryQ-vLgk]

The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has monitored the spread rippling through the US. Standard procedures for farms where HPAI has been detected are cull infected flocks. Last week, APHIS said 2.8 million chickens and turkeys died in one month from the virus. At least one million birds were recently culled at a poultry farm in Iowa. 
Karyn Rispoli, a poultry market analyst at commodity researcher Urner Barry, warns egg prices are beginning to rise due to lost production. She said peak demand for eggs is underway as Easter fast approaches, pushing prices even higher. 
HPAI spreading to more farms, thus triggering more cullings, risks future supply disruptions. As wholesale prices increase, consumers are expected to notice rising egg prices, just as inflation soars to four-decade highs
Urner Barry data shows wholesale eggs jumped 10 cents to $1.60 a dozen Wednesday, the most significant daily gain since the early days of the virus pandemic. The five-year average for wholesale eggs is around $1.44. 
John Brunnquell, CEO of producer Egg Innovations, said prices would continue rising in the coming weeks, and consumers will notice. 
Quote:"Bidding remains very strong among different egg companies, and so you're going to see significantly higher" prices at grocery stores, Brunnquell said.
Since the HPAI spread is recent, there's no telling if it will abate anytime soon. The last outbreak, in 2015, resulted in the culling of 50 million laying hens across 15 states, pushing retail Grade A Egg prices to nearly $3 a dozen. Prices are currently at $2. 
[Image: Snag_146e4259_0.png?itok=UY4MQj7u]
Retail prices are at the highest in five years for this time of year.
[Image: Snag_146ec2a5.png?itok=urGamJtJ]
The largest concern is the spread of HPAI as wild flocks migrate across the country. Even before the emergence of the virus, the 2015 culling has resulted in declines in egg-laying chickens. 
"When you layer that on top of that what's going on with avian influenza, and the precedent of 2015, the impact on the market could be material," Stephens analyst Ben Bienvenu warned.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/eg...ead-easter
Eggs are over $2 a dozen now for Extra Large. They were under $1 much of the time only a year or two ago. Makes me glad I finally got my flock of chickens starting back (I lost almost all my birds in 2020).

Last year I got eight Rhode Island Reds, straight run. I lost three... not a terrible ratio over a year, but not a good one either. Anyway, I wound up with five roosters! What's up with that?

On the good side, has anyone ever seen a possum or weasel try to take on five RIR roosters at the same time? It ain't pretty for the predator.

So this year I went down and got eight pullets... not RIR, but close: ISA Browns. They're supposed to be half RIR and half White Leghorn, great egg layers, and super friendly birds. That last part seems to be coming to pass... these things will hop into your hand! They're also growing like gangbusters, all eight of them. A couple more weeks in the house and they should be good to put outside in the coop until they are full grown and ready to be turned loose. I should have free-range eggs in a few months, and with eight of these things running around popping eggs out, we'll have more than we can possibly eat!

Heck, if five survive, we won't be able to eat them all.

I'm also putting together an incubator... home-made. I got all this oak lumber not doing anything, a 3D printer, and a few microprocessors lying around... should be easy enough. That way we can keep the flock going even if things get tragic again.

Come to think of it, I might try to start a thread on building that incubator.

TheRedneck
This bird flu scares the shit out of me. I have a pretty large flock of different varieties. I even have a guinea hen in the mix. When it is chick time I can’t seem to leave the store without at least 4. My last haul was 7 Easter Eggers. I don’t even like eggs.

I’ve been trying to think of a way to keep them all safe and now it seems like I need to work harder to do that as, according to that map, cases are spreading closer to my state. Sometimes birds get in their runs to eat any food that they’ve left so I’m thinking the first thing may be to try to bird proof them.

@"TheRedneck" I’d be interested in seeing your thread on the homemade incubator if you decide to do one. I don’t have a 3D printer but I do like to see how other people put stuff together. We’ve been thinking of buying an incubator but haven’t decided which one to get. My neighbor has game hens so he hatches his the old fashioned way. He took a few of my silkie eggs and put them under one of his hens for me. Hopefully they hatch.
During ww2, when there was rationing, people would substitute vinegar for eggs in cake mixes. I've tried it when I ran out of eggs once, and it actually works. Presumably lemon juice might also work. 
Might be worth looking for a wartime cookbook online, for other money saving tips.
I am WonderCow....hear me moo!
(03-19-2022, 02:10 PM)VioletDove Wrote: This bird flu scares the shit out of me. I have a pretty large flock of different varieties. I even have a guinea hen in the mix. When it is chick time I can’t seem to leave the store without at least 4. My last haul was 7 Easter Eggers. I don’t even like eggs.

I’ve been trying to think of a way to keep them all safe and now it seems like I need to work harder to do that as, according to that map, cases are spreading closer to my state. Sometimes birds get in their runs to eat any food that they’ve left so I’m thinking the first thing may be to try to bird proof them.

@"TheRedneck" I’d be interested in seeing your thread on the homemade incubator if you decide to do one. I don’t have a 3D printer but I do like to see how other people put stuff together. We’ve been thinking of buying an incubator but haven’t decided which one to get. My neighbor has game hens so he hatches his the old fashioned way. He took a few of my silkie eggs and put them under one of his hens for me. Hopefully they hatch.

My Brother's chicks are doing great. He has quite a few double yolkers.

The layers he has now, are the ones he incubated from the eggs his hens produced. He has a couple that are brooders, and he is letting them do their thing.

He gets about 30 to 35 eggs a day. He is a fanatic about what he feeds them, and is all about them being cage free and non GMO.

All that and he does not sell them. Neighbors and friends are the beneficiaries of his hard work.

He said that is why God has made his hens so productive.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(03-19-2022, 03:12 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 02:10 PM)VioletDove Wrote: This bird flu scares the shit out of me. I have a pretty large flock of different varieties. I even have a guinea hen in the mix. When it is chick time I can’t seem to leave the store without at least 4. My last haul was 7 Easter Eggers. I don’t even like eggs.

The layers he has now, are the ones he incubated from the eggs his hens produced. He has a couple that are brooders, and he is letting them do their thing.

He gets about 30 to 35 eggs a day. He is a fanatic about what he feeds them, and is all about them being cage free and non GMO.

All that and he does not sell them. Neighbors and friends are the beneficiaries of his hard work.

In the last couple of years I’ve switched to organic feed. Before that all I ever fed was scratch feed. My chickens were never healthy and they didn’t live long. I got to reading and found out a lot of the stuff in there wasn’t good for them. Now they eat organic layer pellets and all flock crumbles and some of the vegetables I grow in my garden. I can’t free range here as much as I’d like. I had them out a few years ago and a bobcat came and snatched one before I could do anything. We decided after that to make runs in the garden for them. It helps with insect control and they get extra stuff to eat.

I give eggs away too. There are way to many for us especially since I don’t really eat them and just use a few here and there for baking. My husband has trying to get me to sell some and he brings up a good argument that it would help with the feed bill.
(03-19-2022, 03:41 PM)VioletDove Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 03:12 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

In the last couple of years I’ve switched to organic feed. Before that all I ever fed was scratch feed. My chickens were never healthy and they didn’t live long. I got to reading and found out a lot of the stuff in there wasn’t good for them. Now they eat organic layer pellets and all flock crumbles and some of the vegetables I grow in my garden. I can’t free range here as much as I’d like. I had them out a few years ago and a bobcat came and snatched one before I could do anything. We decided after that to make runs in the garden for them. It helps with insect control and they get extra stuff to eat.

I give eggs away too. There are way to many for us especially since I don’t really eat them and just use a few here and there for baking. My husband has trying to get me to sell some and he brings up a good argument that it would help with the feed bill.

Good feed is not cheap. You may be able to write it off in your taxes. Neighbors and friends really look forward to the eggs. In fact some say they are so spoiled with my Brother's eggs, that they cannot tolerate the store bought ones any more.

There is a difference.

• minusculebeercheers 

While I am slightly concerned about the birdflu with my girls, it is only from the wild birds that fit through the chicken wire.  I haven't been able to find what birds are spreading it.
We have bird netting and chicken wire above and beside part of the coup, but they free range in a huge area around our garden.

As far as eggs go, for the price here in MI, over 2.00 a dozen, I only sell mine for a dollar, because I can't eat over a dozen a day.  For the past year, we had a problem selling them.  
Now, I am getting calls from people I haven't heard from in ages, asking if I still sell eggs. tinysure
Price here is 30 eggs for $3.. The price goes down if you want 60 or 90.. These are the largest eggs. The Smaller eggs are $2 for 30
(04-27-2022, 01:17 AM)Chiefsmom Wrote: While I am slightly concerned about the birdflu with my girls, it is only from the wild birds that fit through the chicken wire.  I haven't been able to find what birds are spreading it.

Now, I am getting calls from people I haven't heard from in ages, asking if I still sell eggs. tinysure

I hope your flock stays healthy! 
Doesn't bird flu ravage commercial flocks every few years?  It is devastating to the poultry industry, I guess.
But it just seems like there is a lot of fearmongering going on.
I mean, I heard Michigan told people to take in their bird feeders.

BTW, if I lived near you, I would never have been fair weather egg customer.
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. 
I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." Frank Herbert, Dune
(04-27-2022, 04:22 AM)727Sky Wrote: Price here is 30 eggs for $3.. The price goes down if you want 60 or 90.. These are the largest eggs. The Smaller eggs are $2 for 30

Crikey! that's cheep,,,err I mean cheap.  About $4 a dozen here average.  Glad I live remote and have some hens. 

I boil the eggs while they are fresh and alive I guess.

Bally :)
(04-27-2022, 07:55 AM)Bally002 Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 04:22 AM)727Sky Wrote: Price here is 30 eggs for $3.. The price goes down if you want 60 or 90.. These are the largest eggs. The Smaller eggs are $2 for 30

Crikey! that's cheep,,,err I mean cheap.  About $4 a dozen here average.  Glad I live remote and have some hens. 

I boil the eggs while they are fresh and alive I guess.

Bally :)

Same out this way. And in my area quite a few people have their own chickens.

But I guess it should not seem that odd, since it holds true for fruits and vegetables as well.

Produce is pretty expensive, yet many grow their own. Maybe it is so expensive because those that grow thier own recognize it's true worth, and the stores keep their stock light.

• minusculebeercheers 

(03-19-2022, 04:41 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: In the last couple of years I’ve switched to organic feed. Before that all I ever fed was scratch feed. My chickens were never healthy and they didn’t live long. I got to reading and found out a lot of the stuff in there wasn’t good for them. Now they eat organic layer pellets and all flock crumbles and some of the vegetables I grow in my garden. I can’t free range here as much as I’d like. I had them out a few years ago and a bobcat came and snatched one before I could do anything. We decided after that to make runs in the garden for them. It helps with insect control and they get extra stuff to eat.

Good feed is not cheap. You may be able to write it off in your taxes. Neighbors and friends really look forward to the eggs. In fact some say they are so spoiled with my Brother's eggs, that they cannot tolerate the store bought ones any more.

There is a difference.

That there is. I recall our free range eggs to have had richer yolks than the store bought variety.

Part of that is due to the free range chickens doing more foraging for themselves. We raised game chickens, and for the most part they got their own grub except in the deepest parts of winter. We occasionally threw them some cracked corn, but for the most part they found their own tucker, and I personally think that is what contributed to the richer eggs.

Additionally, those game chickens didn't mind defending themselves. I've seen a mother game hen whip the piss out of a wayward hawk, and then whip it some more for pissing, all because it made the mistake of thinking her young-'uns were menu items.

On the down side, we could never keep them in the coop. they preferred roosting wild in the woods. Hunting nests for teh eggs was usually an adventure.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

For those of you in possession of laying hens, check out this video on "water glassing" eggs for preservation without refrigeration. This is how they used to do it in the old days, when refrigerators didn't exist, and folks used spring houses, ice houses, and root cellars to keep food in storage. Actual "water glass" is, I believe, sodium silicate. It was also used as an adhesive to glue paper cartridges together during the Civil War.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I almost always buy jumbo eggs. Many of them wind up being double yokers. I love eggs, eat at least one to three eggs a day. I usually have an egg scramble for breakfast, and like egg salad sandwiches for lunch or supper. I use my InstaPot to make 5-6 eggs at a time. A dozen or so jumbo eggs were almost always under $1.00, usually around $0.89. Now those same dozen jumbo eggs are about $4.00. I still buy them. For me at least, eggs are a cheaper form of protein than chicken, beef, or fish, which have gotten prohibitively expensive. 

I hate what I’m hearing on the news about the bird flu and all the chickens that have been mass slaughtered. It’s just sickening. Things seem to be going to hell in a hand basket.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(04-29-2022, 05:15 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I almost always buy jumbo eggs. Many of them wind up being double yokers. I love eggs, eat at least one to three eggs a day. I usually have an egg scramble for breakfast, and like egg salad sandwiches for lunch or supper. I use my InstaPot to make 5-6 eggs at a time. A dozen or so jumbo eggs were almost always under $1.00, usually around $0.89. Now those same dozen jumbo eggs are about $4.00. I still buy them. For me at least, eggs are a cheaper form of protein than chicken, beef, or fish, which have gotten prohibitively expensive. 

I hate what I’m hearing on the news about the bird flu and all the chickens that have been mass slaughtered. It’s just sickening. Things seem to be going to hell in a hand basket.

My Brother's chickens lay a lot of double yolkers.

My Mother likes boiled eggs, but loves the way they come out in the air fryer, so that is how she does her eggs now.

I was really surprised at them being able to be done in an air fryer, but that little device keeps surprising me at what it can do.

• minusculebeercheers