Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Damn!!! Did You Know?
(03-27-2022, 12:38 AM)Grace Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 04:12 PM)guohua Wrote: Have you heard about Cursing in your Doctors Office?
I guess they are recommending the Practise of using Bad Words to help relieve pain.

Quote:IT'S THE STREWTH 
Swearing like a trooper eases pain just like pills, study shows

I think it just Might Work,,, *come here Honey, I want to head your toe with this hammer, stop running!*
[Image: KS_COMP_SWEARING-1.jpg?w=620]
Quote:Effing and blinding, especially shouting s**t and f***, is so effective, researchers say it should be encouraged during medical treatments.

Letting rip is thought to help by distracting us and making us less uptight.

It may also trigger the body’s natural fight or flight response to stress, which, in turn, dampens pain.
Dr Richard Stephens, senior lecturer in psychology at Keele University, Staffs, said: “Swearing is drug-free, calorie-free, cost-free, and side effects-free, so why not try it?”

In tests, people who swore when their hand was put in a bucket of ice-cold water withstood the agony for 40 seconds longer.

The S-word and F-word were used by many of the subjects to good effect.

The study concluded: “If words are the most powerful drug used by mankind, then the physical therapy profession should embrace swearing to change the way our patients think, feel and perform.”

The team now aims to see if fruity language helps ease pain during physiotherapy.

But the researchers, writing in Archives of Physiotherapy, stressed: “Patients should not swear at the therapist. Verbal aggression appears to lead to a high degree of distress among healthcare workers.

“Many factors will play into whether swearing improves patient outcomes — including the need for clinicians to have excellent relationship skills.”
Source

Your thoughts?

Since I'm the one here who has lived long-term with a severe chronic pain disease, it's not "swearing" that helps to deal with pain, it's anger. 

Anger does something helpful with pain levels, that not being angry doesn't accomplish. The people who are cussing are subconsciously using anger to deal with the pain. 

However, it's not helpful long term, only very short term. No one can stay in such a negative headspace space for long, if they end up having to get into that headspace too often it changes them permanently and not for the better.

Also, while anger helps short-term, it also creates a stress that will increase pain levels in the long term. Stress increases pain, and anger = stress. So what anger does very short term, is counter productive in the long term.
That makes a lot of sense. A couple of weeks ago I woke up with my wrists and hands hurting so bad I could barely move them. I went out to do my chores and remembered the 50lb chicken feed sack was still  in my car from the day before. I couldn’t pick it up to put it in the wheelbarrow to save my life. I finally got pissed and let out a good stream of cuss words and even called myself some names that I don’t allow anyone to call me. (Glad I don’t have close neighbors)  Finally managed to pick it up and got it moved to the feed building but hurt all over for a couple of days after.
(03-27-2022, 12:38 AM)Grace Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 04:12 PM)guohua Wrote: Have you heard about Cursing in your Doctors Office?
I guess they are recommending the Practise of using Bad Words to help relieve pain.

Quote:IT'S THE STREWTH 
Swearing like a trooper eases pain just like pills, study shows

I think it just Might Work,,, *come here Honey, I want to head your toe with this hammer, stop running!*
[Image: KS_COMP_SWEARING-1.jpg?w=620]
Quote:Effing and blinding, especially shouting s**t and f***, is so effective, researchers say it should be encouraged during medical treatments.

Letting rip is thought to help by distracting us and making us less uptight.

It may also trigger the body’s natural fight or flight response to stress, which, in turn, dampens pain.
Dr Richard Stephens, senior lecturer in psychology at Keele University, Staffs, said: “Swearing is drug-free, calorie-free, cost-free, and side effects-free, so why not try it?”

In tests, people who swore when their hand was put in a bucket of ice-cold water withstood the agony for 40 seconds longer.

The S-word and F-word were used by many of the subjects to good effect.

The study concluded: “If words are the most powerful drug used by mankind, then the physical therapy profession should embrace swearing to change the way our patients think, feel and perform.”

The team now aims to see if fruity language helps ease pain during physiotherapy.

But the researchers, writing in Archives of Physiotherapy, stressed: “Patients should not swear at the therapist. Verbal aggression appears to lead to a high degree of distress among healthcare workers.

“Many factors will play into whether swearing improves patient outcomes — including the need for clinicians to have excellent relationship skills.”
Source

Your thoughts?

Since I'm the one here who has lived long-term with a severe chronic pain disease, it's not "swearing" that helps to deal with pain, it's anger. 

Anger does something helpful with pain levels, that not being angry doesn't accomplish. The people who are cussing are subconsciously using anger to deal with the pain. 

However, it's not helpful long term, only very short term. No one can stay in such a negative headspace space for long, if they end up having to get into that headspace too often it changes them permanently and not for the better.

Also, while anger helps short-term, it also creates a stress that will increase pain levels in the long term. Stress increases pain, and anger = stress. So what anger does very short term, is counter productive in the long term.
I agree, I have nothing Chronic, but anger is certainly a pain killer and is almost scrap how well it works. 

I'm sorry you have the first hand knowledge because of a daily thing  tinyshocked tinycrying