Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
China’s lunar rover
This is interesting, it looks like a small hut or maybe a large Amazon Delivery Box.
[Image: cd75c58f-313b-4b1c-be8f-ef0042032c1b_5a1...?ve=1&tl=1] 
Quote:China’s lunar rover photographed a mysterious ‘moon hut.’ Here’s what it could be.
One of their claims as to what is, now read this and think about it.
Quote:The object is likely a boulder worn down by space weather

Yes, a Squire looking boulder is made tom look like that by "Space Weather"!  tinysure
What Space Weather? Now is there wind storms and rain storms on the Moon?  tinysurprised

Quote:Mystery surrounds an object photographed on the moon by China's lunar rover last month. However, there is a likely explanation for the thing dubbed a "moon hut" by Chinese media.

Quote:[/url][url=https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/dpKkjWHk9tay3JERnrfuUw]Our Space calls the object a "mysterious hut" or "house" and estimates it's about 80 meters in the distance. Scientists were intrigued by the thing and sent Yutu 2 to check it out.

There is a logical explanation for the cube-like object China's moon rover photographed.

Dr. Phil Metzger, a planetary scientist at the University of Central Florida, said the "moon hut" is likely a boulder worn down by space weather.

Source

Yeah Dr. Phil, someone needs to review your Credentials! You're a Doctor of What Exactly??? You think people are Stupid Enough to Believe in Space Weather.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
DAMMIT!

I can't build my hermit shack anywhere where they'll leave me the hell alone!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(12-08-2021, 09:19 PM)Ninurta Wrote: DAMMIT!

tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing
(12-08-2021, 07:02 PM)guohua Wrote: This is interesting, it looks like a small hut or maybe a large Amazon Delivery Box.
[Image: cd75c58f-313b-4b1c-be8f-ef0042032c1b_5a1...?ve=1&tl=1] 
Quote:China’s lunar rover photographed a mysterious ‘moon hut.’ Here’s what it could be.
One of their claims as to what is, now read this and think about it.
Quote:The object is likely a boulder worn down by space weather

Yes, a Squire looking boulder is made tom look like that by "Space Weather"!  tinysure
What Space Weather? Now is there wind storms and rain storms on the Moon?  tinysurprised

Quote:Mystery surrounds an object photographed on the moon by China's lunar rover last month. However, there is a likely explanation for the thing dubbed a "moon hut" by Chinese media.

Quote:[/url][url=https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/dpKkjWHk9tay3JERnrfuUw]Our Space calls the object a "mysterious hut" or "house" and estimates it's about 80 meters in the distance. Scientists were intrigued by the thing and sent Yutu 2 to check it out.

There is a logical explanation for the cube-like object China's moon rover photographed.

Dr. Phil Metzger, a planetary scientist at the University of Central Florida, said the "moon hut" is likely a boulder worn down by space weather.

Source

Yeah Dr. Phil, someone needs to review your Credentials! You're a Doctor of What Exactly??? You think people are Stupid Enough to Believe in Space Weather.

Space weather? I would have bought camera/processing artifact or trick of the light. But space weather? Where did they find this guy? 

The reason the Apollo astronauts suits wore out so quickly was the lunar dust. It was sharp and jagged specifically because there is no means of weathering on the moon to smooth the dust particles down. They are like little knives. The craters are visible from a zillion years ago because there is no weathering. Ever see the American flag waving in the moon breeze?

Llitle weekend getaway in Moon.. tinylaughing

Just shoot the rover.  It's on your lawn. Not like they would start a war on the moon.  You're tech is far superior.  Cap the thing mate but pics or it didn't happen.  

Bally :)
(12-09-2021, 02:49 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Space weather? I would have bought camera/processing artifact or trick of the light. But space weather? Where did they find this guy? 

The reason the Apollo astronauts suits wore out so quickly was the lunar dust. It was sharp and jagged specifically because there is no means of weathering on the moon to smooth the dust particles down. They are like little knives. The craters are visible from a zillion years ago because there is no weathering. Ever see the American flag waving in the moon breeze?

As I recall, the flag they planted up there had a stiffening rod running along it's top edge to hold it open, because there was no breeze for it to unfurl into.

400 years ago, during the Age of Discovery in the Americas, if you planted your flag somewhere, that meant that you suddenly owned that place. We planted a flag on the moon, so what the hell is China doing on OUR moon, anyhow?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(12-09-2021, 12:06 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 02:49 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Space weather? I would have bought camera/processing artifact or trick of the light. But space weather? Where did they find this guy? 

As I recall, the flag they planted up there had a stiffening rod running along it's top edge to hold it open, because there was no breeze for it to unfurl into.

400 years ago, during the Age of Discovery in the Americas, if you planted your flag somewhere, that meant that you suddenly owned that place. We planted a flag on the moon, so what the hell is China doing on OUR moon, anyhow?

Great question  tinybiggrin

Maybe they see it as another real estate acquisition from the Yankee's.
No atmosphere equals no weather, right?

Or has science done a 180 in every other field too?
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(12-11-2021, 05:05 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: No atmosphere equals no weather, right?

Or has science done a 180 in every other field too?

"Space weather" actually involves cosmic radiation and charged particles flowing from the sun, in addition to the occasional space rock collision... but it ain't nothing that shapes rocks into cubes, either.

Well, this is not really an update but,,,,,,
Quote:WHAT IS THE MYSTERIOUS MOON CUBE?

China’s robotic Yutu-2 lunar rover spotted a remarkably square-looking gray object on the horizon on its 36th lunar day, according to reporting by Space.com, which translated an entry in a rover mission diary from the Chinese language website Our Space.

Taken from around 260 feet away, the “mystery hut,” or “mystery house,” as Our Space put it, appears like a tiny cube the same color as the lunar regolith, but with a black rectangle in the center. Almost like a door … or a Kubrick-esque monolith.
[Image: ccf460fb-4825-4561-a71e-a618f2657d69-mys...2Ccompress]
The Moon Cube, “Mystery Hut,” or “Mystery House” on the dark side of the Moon.
NEXT.
Quote:Zoom on the picture, and it becomes significantly blurry, but the overall impression of something with disconcertingly square proportions remains.
[Image: a5bb4d09-02a0-4509-a89d-a73d821c31f2-moo...2Ccompress]
But while human craftsmanship tends to result in square angles and straight lines, not all square angles and straight lines result from human, or alien, handiwork. Byrne guides Inverse through a few scenarios:

1. It could be an illusion: “Why might it appear square or cubic? First, the image looks to have a pretty low resolution of features at or beyond the horizon, so it might not actually be square,” Byrne says.
  2. It might have just been forged that way by natural causes: Even if it is square, “lots of boulders are blocky, squarish, or cubic/cuboidal because rocks commonly develop fracture sets that result in blocks,” Byrne says, and there are lots of boulders on the Moon.
  3. The most likely outcome is that as the rover gets closer to the object, it will become apparent that it’s a boulder or multiple boulders that only appear square due to light, shadow, and distance. And really, that would make it one of the more minor instances of extraplanetary pareidolia, that is, seeing patterns that don’t exist.
Source
Now they are talking about the face on Mars.
EVERYONE knows that is a NASA cover up.
Yes that squire Hut is there and everyone sees the same thing, not our Imagination!
(12-11-2021, 04:12 PM)guohua Wrote: Well, this is not really an update but,,,,,,

Quote:Zoom on the picture, and it becomes significantly blurry, but the overall impression of something with disconcertingly square proportions remains.

Source
Yes that squire Hut is there and everyone sees the same thing, not our Imagination!

That blown up photo look a lot like a section from the front facade of the temple at Karnak, Egypt.

They need to run that rover closer for a better look. It's only a couple hundred yards - you would think that anyone with the technology to send a rover to the moon could make that rover cover a couple hundred yards after it got there.

Maybe it's a stargate patterned after the Arc de Triomphe, and they're just afraid to get too close because they don't know where it will disappear the rover to...

I wonder what the lunar co-ordinates of the site are?

ETA: Some answers to some of my questions - https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjbk3m/l...cube-china

My next question is "what is the resolution of the camera?" With that information, and knowing it is 80 yards distant, we should be able to work out a rough size for it...

More information on the Yutu-2 rover, including a map of it's travels with the lunographic co-ordinates. Unfortunately, all it says about the camera is:

Quote:Panoramic Camera (PCAM), is installed on the rover's mast and can rotate 360°. It has a spectral range of 420 nm–700 nm and it acquires 3D images by binocular stereovision.

Gives the spectral response, but not the resolution - WTF?

(12-11-2021, 07:45 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 04:12 PM)guohua Wrote: Well, this is not really an update but,,,,,,

Source

That blown up photo look a lot like a section from the front facade of the temple at Karnak, Egypt.

They need to run that rover closer for a better look. It's only a couple hundred yards - you would think that anyone with the technology to send a rover to the moon could make that rover cover a couple hundred yards after it got there.

Maybe it's a stargate patterned after the Arc de Triomphe, and they're just afraid to get too close because they don't know where it will disappear the rover to...

I wonder what the lunar co-ordinates of the site are?

They are supposedly send the rover to investigate, but they say it is slow and could take a few months, I'm thinking they hope it fades from the internet and the People forget.
You are right it does look like an Egyption temple.
[Image: egypt-temple-of-amun-temple-of-ramses-iii.jpg]
Paydirt!

This PDF file Gives the specs on the camera on page 6. it has a pixel resolution of 2350 x 1728 pixels in a field of view of 22.9 x 16.9 degrees. I'll work out the angular resolution of each pixel and get back to y'all, and from that we can tell how much area each pixel covers at 80 yards.

ETA: Snag. The above information is for the TCAM, or "terrain camera". Stats for the PCAM, or "panoramic camera" are given on page 7 of the PDF, but they conveniently leave out the pixel resolution, and only give the field of view for it as 19.7 x 14.5 degrees... and I don't know which camera took the image.

(12-11-2021, 08:21 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Paydirt!

This PDF file Gives the specs on the camera on page 6. it has a pixel resolution of 2350 x 1728 pixels in a field of view of 22.9 x 16.9 degrees. I'll work out the angular resolution of each pixel and get back to y'all, and from that we can tell how much area each pixel covers at 80 yards.

ETA: Snag. The above information is for the TCAM, or "terrain camera". Stats for the PCAM, or "panoramic camera" are given on page 7 of the PDF, but they conveniently leave out the pixel resolution, and only give the field of view for it as 19.7 x 14.5 degrees... and I don't know which camera took the image.

minusculegoodjob 
But they'll just airbrush a clear picture of the object.

Solar winds are what they are calling space weather, it is a thing. it carries particles ejected from the sun and has a kentic engery, during solar flares it can reach super sonic speeds.

from the wiki,

Quote:The Earth's Moon has no atmosphere or intrinsic magnetic field, and consequently its surface is bombarded with the full solar wind. The Project Apollo missions deployed passive aluminum collectors in an attempt to sample the solar wind, and lunar soil returned for study confirmed that the lunar regolith is enriched in atomic nuclei deposited from the solar wind. These elements may prove useful resources for future lunar colonies.[49]

Solar Wind

and from NASA,

Quote:Solar storms and associated Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) can significantly erode the lunar surface, according to a new set of computer simulations by NASA scientists. In addition to removing a surprisingly large amount of material from the lunar surface, this can be a major method of atmospheric loss for planets like Mars that are unprotected by a global magnetic field.

SOLAR STORMS “SANDBLAST” THE MOON
[Image: TWBB.png]

(12-11-2021, 08:44 PM)guohua Wrote: minusculegoodjob 
But they'll just airbrush a clear picture of the object.

They don't even have to airbrush it - I have an off the shelf program here that will erase unwanted objects from digital images... surely the CCP has an equal or better program!

China Lunar Rover cams:

TCAM - Terrain Camera - 2350x1728 pixels in 22.9x16.9 deg

Dividing the angular field of view by the number of effective pixels in the image yields:

0.0097446808510638297872340255319 degree/pixel horizontal

0.00978009259259259259259259259259 degree/pixel vertical

Using the Visual Angle Calculator found at:

https://elvers.us/perception/visualAngle/

gives a pixel size of 0.4898 inch @ 2880 inches (80 yds) , or about a half inch per pixel at 80 yards for the TCAM.

I can't calculate the pixel resolution at a distance for the PCAM as I have been unable to find the dimensions in pixels to divide into the angular field of view, and I bet the image was taken with that PCAM camera.

They had to use the PCAM to find the distance, as it has two separated lenses to perform parallax calculations with to find distance. So, I bet that was the camera used to take the image, too. I've not been able to find either the pixel size OR the lens separation for that camera, and both of those are needed to calculate the pixel coverage at a distance in the first case, and to calculate the distance from a stereo pair of images in the second case. Since they already calculated the distance, the pixel size of the images is the more important one to uncover.

(12-11-2021, 09:08 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

Solar winds are what they are calling space weather, it is a thing. it carries particles ejected from the sun and has a kentic engery, during solar flares it can reach super sonic speeds.

from the wiki,

Quote:The Earth's Moon has no atmosphere or intrinsic magnetic field, and consequently its surface is bombarded with the full solar wind. The Project Apollo missions deployed passive aluminum collectors in an attempt to sample the solar wind, and lunar soil returned for study confirmed that the lunar regolith is enriched in atomic nuclei deposited from the solar wind. These elements may prove useful resources for future lunar colonies.[49]

Solar Wind

and from NASA,

Quote:Solar storms and associated Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) can significantly erode the lunar surface, according to a new set of computer simulations by NASA scientists. In addition to removing a surprisingly large amount of material from the lunar surface, this can be a major method of atmospheric loss for planets like Mars that are unprotected by a global magnetic field.

SOLAR STORMS “SANDBLAST” THE MOON

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. Not arguing, just thinking about this. The idea of "space weathering" versus weathering we see on the Earth's surface. No clue what the object is.  

Quote:"...can significantly erode the lunar surface, according to a new set of computer simulations by NASA scientists."
OK. A simulation. Kind of hard to conduct direct experiments on the moon when no one is there. No problem. 

Quote:The plasma from CMEs impacts the lunar surface, and atoms from the surface are ejected in a process called “sputtering.”
So this works at the atomic level. It removes volatile material. Creates an exosphere. Gas. 

I have no doubt this is true as the same affect happens in Earth upper atmosphere. My contention is a "weathering" at the macro scale. The ability to wear down a big rock into a square shape. We would see that on the Earth's surface from wind and water erosion (probably end up round instead of square?). If we put the same rock in Earth's upper atmosphere or on the surface of the moon, there is no wind or water erosion. We would not see erosion of that scale. 

If a big rock (or any surface) were left on the moon's surface exposed to the CME's and normal space wind, it would affect the surface equally (I'm guessing?). A square rock would turn into a smaller square rock by losing atoms on the entire surface over millions of years. Probably lose more on the top as it is more directly exposed. But the rate of loss? 

There is plenty of mechanical weathering from impacts. It can break rocks up or weld them together from the heat of the impact. But an impact turning an object square or rectangular? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_soil

I guess my argument was with the flippant comment from the guy in the OP.
Achyutaraya Temple

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10488]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)