Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your Thoughts.
[Image: 3jkH_N28?format=jpg&name=small]
Quote:Switzerland Approves Assisted ‘Suicide Capsule’
I'm asking because I was under the impression most religions view Suicide as a Sin against God or something.  minusculethinking
Quote:Switzerland has just legalized a new way to die by assisted suicide. The country’s medical review board has just given authorization for use of the Sarco Suicide Pod, which is a 3-D-printed portable coffin-like capsule with windows that can be transported to a tranquil place for a person’s final moments of life. 

Conventional assisted-suicide methods have generally involved a chemical substance. Inventor Philip Nitschke of Exit International told the website SwissInfo.ch that his “death pod” offers a different approach. “We want to remove any kind of psychiatric review from the process and allow the individual to control the method themselves,” he said. “Our aim is to develop an artificial-intelligence screening system to establish the person’s mental capacity. Naturally there is a lot of skepticism, especially on the part of psychiatrists.”

The pod can be activated from inside and can give the person intending to die various options for where they want to be for their final moments. “The machine can be towed anywhere for the death,” he said. “It can be in an idyllic outdoor setting or in the premises of an assisted-suicide organization, for example.”

To qualify to use the pod, the person who wants to die must answer an online survey that is meant to prove whether they are making the decision of their own accord. If they pass, they will be told the location of the pod and given an access code.

Once inside, the person intending to end their life will have to answer pre-recorded questions and press a button that will start the process of flooding the interior with nitrogen, which will quickly reduce the oxygen level inside from 21 percent to 1 percent. “The person will get into the capsule and lie down,” he said, adding, “It’s very comfortable.”

He said the person will likely feel disorientated or euphoric. “The whole thing takes about 30 seconds,” he said “Death takes place through hypoxia and hypocapnia, oxygen and carbon dioxide deprivation, respectively. There is no panic, no choking.”

The rest of the articleicle is: Here
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Well, at least we know not all the Nazis went to South America.
tinyok
Stupid Swiss with their new portable Death Chamber.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I feel like if people want to off themselves it's their business and not mine. I do think they are making a mistake that can't be undone... but who am I to judge? 

I know that there are people out there who are in misery and pain who wish to end their own lives but want to get it right the first time without inflicting further suffering upon themselves. One of my uncles suffered with pancreatic cancer and was in pain and complete misery- when he passed he looked like one of those Ethiopian kids from those old commercials when before he was an over 200 pounds. He weighed around 70 pounds at over 6 feet tall in the end. I wish he would have had options if he had wanted them.

I don't agree with removing psychiatric review from the process though. Mentally unstable people should be weeded out of the process- they seldom see beyond the immediate and I don't trust an AI review system as AI has no compassion or instinct.

Personally I would never commit suicide but I don't judge those that do.

It isn't just a black and white issue.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(12-06-2021, 11:28 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I feel like if people want to off themselves it's their business and not mine. I do think they are making a mistake that can't be undone... but who am I to judge? 

I know that there are people out there who are in misery and pain who wish to end their own lives but want to get it right the first time without inflicting further suffering upon themselves. One of my uncles suffered with pancreatic cancer and was in pain and complete misery- when he passed he looked like one of those Ethiopian kids from those old commercials when before he was an over 200 pounds. He weighed around 70 pounds at over 6 feet tall in the end. I wish he would have had options if he had wanted them.

I don't agree with removing psychiatric review from the process though. Mentally unstable people should be weeded out of the process- they seldom see beyond the immediate and I don't trust an AI review system as AI has no compassion or instinct.

Personally I would never commit suicide but I don't judge those that do.

It isn't just a black and white issue.

Yes, I believe people should have that right.
But what about the religious aspect?
If you suicide yourself, is your Soul or Spirit Doomed to walk this Dimension?
I don't believe that, but I understand many religions do.
My husbands Father and Mother believed that and also it was a major sin to say use the Lord's Name In Vain "GOD DAMN IT!"  tinylaughing
(12-07-2021, 01:29 AM)guohua Wrote: Yes, I believe people should have that right.
But what about the religious aspect?
If you suicide yourself, is your Soul or Spirit Doomed to walk this Dimension?
I don't believe that, but I understand many religions do.
My husbands Father and Mother believed that and also it was a major sin to say use the Lord's Name In Vain "GOD DAMN IT!"  tinylaughing

I guess it just depends on what one does or does not believe. In my belief system sin is just sin, suicide is no better or worse than cheating on your taxes or engorging yourself with Doritos. I wouldn't personally commit suicide because it would be too painful for my family but I guess if I was in enough pain for a very long period of time my thoughts might change on it.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
I like to believe in a God or a creator.  It all had to come from somewhere.  I don't believe in organized religion. 

That being said, if you're at that low of a point in your life where you'd like to commit suicide, I like to believe a grand creator or God would be able to sympathize with that, and not doom you to eternal existence in the place you wanted to get away from.  If not?  Well I guess I'd be better off without God.

As to personal choice, that's a moot point in my opinion.  If someone truly wants to commit suicide, they will.  There are plenty of painless and relatively painless ways to go.  

I just wish those contemplating suicide could get the help they need.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(12-06-2021, 09:19 PM)guohua Wrote: [Image: 3jkH_N28?format=jpg&name=small]
I'm asking because I was under the impression most religions view Suicide as a Sin against God or something.  minusculethinking
Quote:Switzerland has just legalized a new way to die by assisted suicide. The country’s medical review board has just given authorization for use of the Sarco Suicide Pod, which is a 3-D-printed portable coffin-like capsule with windows that can be transported to a tranquil place for a person’s final moments of life. 

Conventional assisted-suicide methods have generally involved a chemical substance. Inventor Philip Nitschke of Exit International told the website SwissInfo.ch that his “death pod” offers a different approach. “We want to remove any kind of psychiatric review from the process and allow the individual to control the method themselves,” he said. “Our aim is to develop an artificial-intelligence screening system to establish the person’s mental capacity. Naturally there is a lot of skepticism, especially on the part of psychiatrists.”

The pod can be activated from inside and can give the person intending to die various options for where they want to be for their final moments. “The machine can be towed anywhere for the death,” he said. “It can be in an idyllic outdoor setting or in the premises of an assisted-suicide organization, for example.”

To qualify to use the pod, the person who wants to die must answer an online survey that is meant to prove whether they are making the decision of their own accord. If they pass, they will be told the location of the pod and given an access code.

Once inside, the person intending to end their life will have to answer pre-recorded questions and press a button that will start the process of flooding the interior with nitrogen, which will quickly reduce the oxygen level inside from 21 percent to 1 percent. “The person will get into the capsule and lie down,” he said, adding, “It’s very comfortable.”

He said the person will likely feel disorientated or euphoric. “The whole thing takes about 30 seconds,” he said “Death takes place through hypoxia and hypocapnia, oxygen and carbon dioxide deprivation, respectively. There is no panic, no choking.”

Straight out of Soylent Green.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(12-06-2021, 09:19 PM)guohua Wrote: [Image: 3jkH_N28?format=jpg&name=small]

I believe suicide should only be a option due to some sort of catastrophic illness or accident. If you just want to die, and are other wise healthy but have emotional or mental issue  tuff shit, get over it. life is what you make it, things won't all ways be bad, and if you kill yourself you'll never experience it.
I could go on more but some wouldn't like the point of view that would be expressed and i don't feel like fussin about it.

There is one exception to the being healthy and wanting to kill your self i could live with. That would be if your a worthless murderous,baby raping violent thug POS and want to end it all I'd be all for that, in fact the more painful your death the better.

That said, no where in bible that i know of does the bible say killing yourself is a sin, and i have read it cover to cover many times. it does say murder is, but is killing yourself murder? Not only that Jesus is the last and final sin offering, he died for all your sins, past, present, and future. If you accepted him as your savior, and asked for forgiveness of past sins, sins that you are aware of right now, sins that you thought about committing, and sins that you may not remember or are aware of where then your forgiven. Future sins only God Knows, that is ones that your not planning,but sins like killing your self, robbing a bank, killing that cheating wife and her boyfriend, i think you can understand what i mean.

Sure your gonna have to pay the consequences, but if if your saved even if you haven't asked you will be  forgiven for them at the pearly gates when you are judged and given the opportunity to ask then.

I'm not a very good teacher, so I'll say it this way. God knew man was a sinful creation, that's why the Israelite's had to give sin offering every so often as a blood sacrifice . Jesus came to do away with all that, he was the last blood sacrifice.

There's more spiritual aspects to this than i have words to say it. Best i can do is say that God knows a person heart. If you take pleasure in sin and not remorseful for the ones that you become aware of, that's your ass.

One more thing, the only unpardonable sin is blasphemy against Holy Spirit.
[Image: TWBB.png]

I am against it . Human life is sacred , a gift also . The creator made us, so thinking of ending it sounds bad idea.

But here is also another aspect, not relating to God.  The normalizing of euthanasia will not stop there, it will grow and grow making it more normal procedure , and at some point they can weaponize it....."if you are not good citizen, we will put you in the capsule "  obey your masters, pay your taxes, take the vaccines .  If the capsules are in covid   concentration camps for example, how can anyone anymore prove homicide/murder if they carry someone by force and put it inside the capsule ? They just say " oh she run away and killed herself with it"

And there is also human sacrifice aspect, which some circles value hghly.....

Making it too ordinary will backfire once it grows too large in society. Think young kids who grow to society which tells killing itself is okey ...

They should maximize care , help more with pains etc...
(12-07-2021, 06:33 AM)Kenzo Wrote: I am against it . Human life is sacred , a gift also . The creator made us, so thinking of ending it sounds bad idea.

But here is also another aspect, not relating to God.  The normalizing of euthanasia will not stop there, it will grow and grow making it more normal procedure , and at some point they can weaponize it....."if you are not good citizen, we will put you in the capsule "  obey your masters, pay your taxes, take the vaccines .  If the capsules are in covid   concentration camps for example, how can anyone anymore prove homicide/murder if they carry someone by force and put it inside the capsule ? They just say " oh she run away and killed herself with it"

Making it too ordinary will backfire once it grows too large in society. Think young kids who grow to society which tells killing itself is okey ...

Correct, similar to that movie @"NightskyeB4Dawn" mentioned above. Making it Normalize/food source.
I also agree with @"hounddoghowlie" and think people should have this as an option when diagnosed with a terminal illness.
(12-07-2021, 03:48 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I like to believe in a God or a creator.  It all had to come from somewhere.  I don't believe in organized religion. 

That being said, if you're at that low of a point in your life where you'd like to commit suicide, I like to believe a grand creator or God would be able to sympathize with that, and not doom you to eternal existence in the place you wanted to get away from.  If not?  Well I guess I'd be better off without God.

As to personal choice, that's a moot point in my opinion.  If someone truly wants to commit suicide, they will.  There are plenty of painless and relatively painless ways to go.  

You are right, it's a proven fact, if you want to commit suicide there are many ways, I do wish that this person would try and reach out for help.
(12-07-2021, 06:48 AM)guohua Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 06:33 AM)Kenzo Wrote: I am against it . Human life is sacred , a gift also . The creator made us, so thinking of ending it sounds bad idea.

Correct, similar to that movie @"NightskyeB4Dawn" mentioned above. Making it Normalize/food source.
I also agree with @"hounddoghowlie" and think people should have this as an option when diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Yes,  good movie . Now that i think this....dead humans as food source ....make me throw up.
(12-07-2021, 03:48 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I like to believe in a God or a creator.  It all had to come from somewhere.  I don't believe in organized religion. 

I think the same as you about God and religion. 

I believe if you are going to die soon because of some ailment or for some other reason , it's ok. 

If it's because you are having a tough time and see no other way out, you need to talk to someone because that situation never lasts. 
You can always overcome the darkness your mind puts you through.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
Anyone remember this show and song? I never paid attention to the song, but loved the show. 

I'm a heartless bastard, so brace yourself.

We have too many people in the world already, and a goodly portion of them are utterly useless. If they want to off themselves, who am I to intervene and force them to live, especially if they are miserable?

Religiously, I don't know of any prohibition on suicide in the Bible. As far as I can tell, all the prohibitions are priest-generated, what the Catholics call their "traditions", and are extra-biblical. My best guess is the priests hate to see a source of revenue for them go away, so they made up some convoluted crap against suicide. Besides, if God is any kind of god at all, if that deity don't want you to die, if it ain't your time, you just won't die, capiche?

Psychologically, well, psychiatry is useless. it's a pseudo-science, right up there with perpetual motion machines. It's charlatanry, just a means of parting fools from their money. There is no scientific reason that psychological evaluations should be a requirement for anything at all. You can't fix a broke brain, and if they determine on a means to fix themselves permanent-like, who am I to judge? Take those genes right out of the gene pool, I'm good with that. No need to pass them on and make yet another generation suffer through it.

With that said, there are other considerations. What about the folks left behind? A fair number of them are going to have a tough time dealing with it. My first wife was suicidal as hell. I fought like hell to keep her alive. I don't know why, looking back on it. She really wasn't worth the effort. My boss had to make me leave work one day to go hunt her down after one of her weekly "good bye" calls. By then, I'd had enough of the buillshit, and was just gonna keep on working, and let the cops find her carcass. He made me go hunt her down and save her sorry ass. Which I did. It wasn't easy, either. Those experiences probably also color my opinions on suicide, and forcing someone to live who just doesn't want to. They definitely color my opinions on psychiatry and psychology.

And lastly, this thing sounds like it would make a hell of a torture chamber. Anoxia, asphyxia, drowning - that's a hell of a way to go, gasping for oxygen like a fish on dry land. What kind of sick bastard comes up with the idea of drowning you in nitrogen and calls it an easy out? That's a horrible way to die, even for someone who wants to shuffle off this mortal coil!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(12-07-2021, 07:54 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I'm a heartless bastard, so brace yourself.

We have too many people in the world already, and a goodly portion of them are utterly useless. If they want to off themselves, who am I to intervene and force them to live, especially if they are miserable?

Religiously, I don't know of any prohibition on suicide in the Bible. As far as I can tell, all the prohibitions are priest-generated, what the Catholics call their "traditions", and are extra-biblical. My best guess is the priests hate to see a source of revenue for them go away, so they made up some convoluted crap against suicide. Besides, if God is any kind of god at all, if that deity don't want you to die, if it ain't your time, you just won't die, capiche?

Psychologically, well, psychiatry is useless. it's a pseudo-science, right up there with perpetual motion machines. It's charlatanry, just a means of parting fools from their money. There is no scientific reason that psychological evaluations should be a requirement for anything at all. You can't fix a broke brain, and if they determine on a means to fix themselves permanent-like, who am I to judge? Take those genes right out of the gene pool, I'm good with that. No need to pass them on and make yet another generation suffer through it.

With that said, there are other considerations. What about the folks left behind? A fair number of them are going to have a tough time dealing with it. My first wife was suicidal as hell. I fought like hell to keep her alive. I don't know why, looking back on it. She really wasn't worth the effort. My boss had to make me leave work one day to go hunt her down after one of her weekly "good bye" calls. By then, I'd had enough of the buillshit, and was just gonna keep on working, and let the cops find her carcass. He made me go hunt her down and save her sorry ass. Which I did. It wasn't easy, either. Those experiences probably also color my opinions on suicide, and forcing someone to live who just doesn't want to. They definitely color my opinions on psychiatry and psychology.

And lastly, this thing sounds like it would make a hell of a torture chamber. Anoxia, asphyxia, drowning - that's a hell of a way to go, gasping for oxygen like a fish on dry land. What kind of sick bastard comes up with the idea of drowning you in nitrogen and calls it an easy out? That's a horrible way to die, even for someone who wants to shuffle off this mortal coil!

I think if you really want to off yourself, buy some heroin laced with fentanyl off the street and just go to sleep. Seems like a popular option around here.
(12-07-2021, 08:40 AM)kdog Wrote: I think if you really want to off yourself, buy some heroin laced with fentanyl off the street and just go to sleep. Seems like a popular option around here.

Yep. If someone just had to check themselves out of this world, that would be a far more pleasant option, I would think. Just going to sleep and never waking up would seem to me to beat the hell out of gasping for your last bit of oxygen while pounding on the walls of your locked coffin.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Going out on a limb here from the religious perspective.  Being RC and having gone through the nuns, brothers and priests.  I'm not a church goer but in answer to the original post, Jesus died on the cross to save us all, weel okay, but his death would be considered a suicide and he knew the outcome.  He had a choice if you believe that part of the bible.

So my take is he knew the pain and suffering he would have to go through and his ultimate death.  It is written he could have saved himself at anytime.  But he chose death by Crucifixion.  Is that a form of suicide?

Later consider those that chose death in his name. eg:  The crusaders.  Willing to die.  Is that suicide?

My thoughts,

Bally
(12-07-2021, 10:30 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Going out on a limb here from the religious perspective.  Being RC and having gone through the nuns, brothers and priests.  I'm not a church goer but in answer to the original post, Jesus died on the cross to save us all, weel okay, but his death would be considered a suicide and he knew the outcome.  He had a choice if you believe that part of the bible.

So my take is he knew the pain and suffering he would have to go through and his ultimate death.  It is written he could have saved himself at anytime.  But he chose death by Crucifixion.  Is that a form of suicide?

Later consider those that chose death in his name. eg:  The crusaders.  Willing to die.  Is that suicide?

My thoughts,

Bally

I suppose you could see that way, but he didn't want to really do it. In all four gospels he asked God to take this cup away from him, but he accepted the will of God.

here it is in Mathew,

Quote:Matthew 26:39

New American Standard Bible

39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.”

Jesus also said,

Quote:John 15:13

New American Standard Bible

13 Greater love has no one than this, that a person will lay down his life for his friends.

Jesus didn't kill or allow his self to be for his own wants, he did it for His father and everyone else.
[Image: TWBB.png]

(12-07-2021, 10:30 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Going out on a limb here from the religious perspective.  Being RC and having gone through the nuns, brothers and priests.  I'm not a church goer but in answer to the original post, Jesus died on the cross to save us all, weel okay, but his death would be considered a suicide and he knew the outcome.  He had a choice if you believe that part of the bible.

My thoughts,

Bally

That is a hard question to answer, with the possibility of many right answers.

Suicide is injuring yourself with the "intent" of causing death.

Personally I think death at hands of others, even if you knew death would be the result if you took a particular action, or failed to take an action, would not be true suicide.

Jesus died at the hands of others. He knew what the outcome would be for his actions, but carried at the request his Father had made of him. He could have said no. He chose to obey. He died for his obedience. He was risen from that death, and provided us with the chance to also secure eternal life.

Dying for a cause could be thought of as suicide, I like to think of it as dying for life, instead of dying for death.

Just my opinion. We all know what that is worth.    minusculebeercheers

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers