Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alec Baldwin shoots and kills woman with a prop gun on a movie set
My question would be why was HE shooting the prop at all.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Where was crew that is supposed to prevent that kind of thing happening , safety officer . Is it an accident if the filming did not have even crew to look out safety ?
(10-22-2021, 01:36 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Where was crew that is supposed to prevent that kind of thing happening , safety officer .
Is it an accident if the filming did not have even crew to look out safety ?

Too busy pissing around with vaccine checks, Coof-testing and signing paperwork that the movie companies
pretend to believe are virtuous acts. Real bullets are not blanks and would never be mixed unless those in charge
of set safety had taken their eye off the ball.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(10-22-2021, 02:22 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 01:36 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Where was crew that is supposed to prevent that kind of thing happening , safety officer .
Is it an accident if the filming did not have even crew to look out safety ?

Too busy pissing around with vaccine checks, Coof-testing and signing paperwork that the movie companies
pretend to believe are virtuous acts. Real bullets are not blanks and would never be mixed unless those in charge
of set safety had taken their eye off the ball.

Agree.....neglect happened and this is the result.
I have no doubt that a blank round looks completely different from a live round. I don't see how anyone could make that kind of mistake. If they needed real live rounds for shots where the rounds would be visible, like a revolver, I can kind of understand, but even then they could be marked somehow, like the casing painted bright orange.

It seems really suspicious when this happens on a movie set.
Possible a blank round could have killed her as well if Baldwin was being stupid and discharged it adjacent to her body.  They don't launch projectiles per se, but are also not simply a noise-maker.

ETA, looks like the gun was loaded with real ammunition. Not some freak accident with a blank round.

Cheers

(10-22-2021, 03:42 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I have no doubt that a blank round looks completely different from a live round. I don't see how anyone could make that kind of mistake. If they needed real live rounds for shots where the rounds would be visible, like a revolver, I can kind of understand, but even then they could be marked somehow, like the casing painted bright orange.

I agree.
minusculethumbsup

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10234]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-22-2021, 03:42 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I have no doubt that a blank round looks completely different from a live round. I don't see how anyone could make that kind of mistake. If they needed real live rounds for shots where the rounds would be visible, like a revolver, I can kind of understand, but even then they could be marked somehow, like the casing painted bright orange.

It's my understanding that a squib left an obstruction in the barrel, and the blank with a full charge propelled that left over squib obstruction as if it were a projectile. The gun also had a history of malfunction on this set, and so really should have been retired from use.

Also, they are supposed to visually inspect the weapon for just such obstructions before loading the blanks. That has been the rule ever since Brandon Lee was killed under remarkably similar circumstances.

Someone slacked on their job, and someone else died for it.

I don't like Mr. Baldwin, because he is a jackass, but I would not wish something like this to be on anyone's conscience, his included.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

So he accidently shot somebody to death. Let's not judge, we've all been there. Heck, I've lost count of how many people I've accidently shot thinking I had blanks when I really had ball ammunition. Ah, the memories....

tinysurprised tinysurprised tinysurprised

What purpose would live ammo on the set serve? I cannot think of one. In the time of CGI and high speed special effects, why bother? Why take the insurance risk? In this case, who in their right mind would give a loaded firearm to some Hollywood numb-nuts?
The gun had live rounds tinybigeyes

Alec Baldwin Didn't Know Weapon Contained Live Rounds: Warrant

This is total fuck up from them
From Kenzo's NBC San Diego link:

Quote:'...An assistant director unwittingly handed Alec Baldwin a loaded weapon and told him it was safe to use in
the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, the Associated Press reports, citing court records
released Friday.

“Cold gun,” the assistant director announced, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court.

Instead, the gun was loaded with live rounds, and when Baldwin pulled the trigger Thursday on the set of a Western,
he killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded,
the records said.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office obtained the warrant Friday so investigators could document the scene at the
ranch outside Santa Fe where the shooting took place. They sought to examine Baldwin’s blood-stained costume
for the film “Rust," as well as the weapon that was fired, other prop guns and ammunition, and any footage that
might exist.

The gun was one of three that the film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez, had set on a cart outside the wooden structure
where a scene was being acted, according to the records. Assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the
cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds, a detective wrote in the search
warrant application.

It was unclear how many rounds were fired. Gutierrez removed a shell casing from the gun after the shooting, and she
turned the weapon over to police when they arrived, the court records say...'

Cheap labour or incompetence?
Over on the other site, someone has mentioned that the Assistant Director in this situation was also present when Brandon Lee was shot.

tinybighuh

Cheers

(10-23-2021, 05:47 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Over on the other site, someone has mentioned that the Assistant Director in this situation was also present when Brandon Lee was shot.

tinybighuh

Cheers

Dave Halls was Assistant Director on the sequel to The Crow, but the article below never says he was there when
Lee was shot. If he was, it could bring all sorts of gossip up!
minusculethumbsup

Quote:CHILLING ECHO Alec Baldwin – Assistant director who ‘gave star loaded gun’ worked on sequel to

The Crow where Brandon Lee was killed

'...In an ironic twist, Halls also worked on The Crow: Salvation, the sequel to the 1993 film The Crow, where actor 
Brandon Lee was tragically killed in a similar gun mishap...'
The Sun:

Edit: Now the narrative is changing...

Quote:'...A movie armorer who allegedly laid out the loaded gun Alec Baldwin accidentally killed the cinematographer
with had just completed her first film and worried "she wasn't ready".

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed reportedly admitted this in a podcast interview before working on the movie Rust where
Halyna Hutchins was shot in the chest and killed on Thursday...'

'...A call sheet from the set identified the armorer's name as Hannah Gutierrez Reed, according to the Wall Street
Journal. Gutierrez-Reed, 24, said in a podcast interview last month podcast she said she had recently completed
her first film as head armorer on The Old Way, starring Nicolas Cage. 

She admitted: "I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready, but doing it, it went really smoothly."...'
The Sun Again:
(10-23-2021, 12:33 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: So he accidently shot somebody to death. Let's not judge, we've all been there. Heck, I've lost count of how many people I've accidently shot thinking I had blanks when I really had ball ammunition. Ah, the memories....

tinysurprised tinysurprised tinysurprised

What purpose would live ammo on the set serve? I cannot think of one. In the time of CGI and high speed special effects, why bother? Why take the insurance risk? In this case, who in their right mind would give a loaded firearm to some Hollywood numb-nuts?

Regardless of what kind of round it was - and there can certainly be a valid case made for not having live ammo on a play-acting set - what was he doing pointing the weapon at directors and pulling the trigger? They would never be in the final cut of the film, as they are not actors, so what the hell was he doing, and why?

Guns are not something to be played with, and must be considered ALWAYS loaded with deadly live ammo... but a communist-oriented gun-grabber would not know that, I suppose, on account of their gun phobias, and lack of education in the matter.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

When folks are irrationally afraid of a thing, and can't be assed to get educated about it due to that phobia, I reckon this is the sort of thing that can be occasionally expected from them.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Apparently, the live rounds were stored with blank rounds on the set.  Yeah, someone wasn't 'ready'.

Cheers

(10-24-2021, 07:03 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Apparently, the live rounds were stored with blank rounds on the set.  Yeah, someone wasn't 'ready'.

Cheers

Well.

That makes it sound an awful lot like an intentional shooting then. Live rounds are made for shooting and perforating real-world stuff, so intentionally perforating someone is the only reason I can find for keeping any live rounds at all on a movie set, which is not real-world, but make-believe.

What an interesting world it will be when they start keeping live claymores, RPG-7's, M72A2's, grenades, and so on at make believe movie sets. that'll sure as hell add to the realism and grit of movies going forward, now won't it? When real body parts of real actors start flying out of redoubts in action scenes, it just can't get much more realistic than that!

It looks like incompetence was the major factor. I'm a Limey and even I know live bullets, blanks and a weapon
that projectiles such objects, should never meet.
tinysure

Quote:'...The gun that killed Halyna Hutchins was used for off-set target practice fun by the film's crew using real bullets,
it was reported. Halyna, 42, was shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of the movie Rust after he was reportedly handed
the weapon loaded with a live round...'
The Sun:
The hokey explanation for the live ammunition is that the crew practiced target shooting in the desert as a recreational activity.

I find that hard to believe.  However, IF true, it is a huge violation of good sense.  The only people at the set with live ammo should have been their security personnel.  No other reason for a set to have live ammo, unless they needed a few rounds for some kind of special effect or whatever.  And in that case, there should have been strict protocols governing how the live ammo was stored and handled.

This case is either murder, or manslaughter with a high degree of culpability.

Cheers

Alec made interesting tweets earlyer ,before this incident .

It Wasn’t a ‘Prop Gun’: Alec Baldwin Shot a Firearm That Was Being Used for Target Practice Off Set

REVEALED: Alec Baldwin's old tweets reveal ignorance, cruelty regarding guns and gun safety