Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A better than expected verdict
This handed down verdict could have been much worse and all I can say at least this judge was not an idiot.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/schelle...forfeiture
Quote:Scheller, Marine who criticized Afghanistan withdrawal, sentenced to reprimand, forfeiture of $5K in pay

Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. spent 9 days in the brig during pre-trial confinement

Scheller attorney: He took accountability and was punished for speaking the truth
The U.S. Marine who posted videos on social media criticizing military leadership and the Biden administration’s withdrawal of military assets from Afghanistan was issued a letter of reprimand and a forfeiture of $5,000 worth of pay for one month, after pleading guilty to all charges during his court-martial hearing this week. 
Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. pled guilty to all six misdemeanor-level charges Thursday, including willfully disobeying a superior commissioned officer, dereliction in the performance of duties and conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman.
The judge, on Friday, said he would have given a two-month forfeiture of pay, had it not been for the nine days Scheller spent in pre-trial confinement. Scheller was freed from the brig last week where he was being held for violating an agreement to stop posting criticism on social media. 
The judge said he does not condone Scheller’s offenses, but noted his 17 year USMC career, saying that prior to his social media incident, he was an officer with an outstanding record – a record, he said, he weighed heavily. 
[Image: Stuart-Scheller-3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
(Fox News)
The letter of reprimand was much less than what was recommended. The prosecution recommended a forfeiture of $5,000 of pay for 6 months and a letter of reprimand. The maximum penalty could have been forfeiture of 2/3 monthly pay for 12 months and a letter of reprimand.
US NAVY SET TO BOOT SAILORS WHO REFUSE COVID VACCINE
The sentencing came after Scheller was relieved of his command at one of Camp Lejeune’s infantry training battalions in August after posting the videos to Facebook and LinkedIn after a bombing at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul took the lives of 13 U.S. service members as well as dozens of Afghan citizens.
"Did anyone raise their hand and say, ‘We completely messed this up?'" Scheller had asked in a video. "I’m not saying we can take back what has been done. All I asked for was accountability, for people to comment on what I said and to say, ‘Yes. Mistakes were made.’ And had they done that I would've gone back into rank and file, submitted, and accomplished what I wanted."
Scheller is a decorated Marine who has served for 17 years. 
[url=https://www.foxnews.com/apps-products][/url]
His other charges include contempt toward officers, disrespect toward superior commissioned officers and failure to obey order or regulation. 
Fox News' Steve Harrigan, Brie Stimson, Lucas Y. Tomlinson, Hannah Grossman, Angelica Stabile and Michael Lee contributed to this report.
He showed them how it was done - how you take responsibility for your actions.

I bet dollars to donuts it was a wasted effort, and none of his higher ups will jump on the bandwagon to take responsibility for THEIR actions, and that was all he expected from them to begin with!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

My dad once said that the solders who can sit on a dead horse or a muddy fox hole to eat are the first to go when the war is over as those who have never fired a shot but are more politically motivated are promoted and given a voice in future wars. Something like that...but I always remember that and kinda agree...
(10-16-2021, 11:54 AM)727Sky Wrote: My dad once said that the solders who can sit on a dead horse or a muddy fox hole to eat are the first to go when the war is over as those who have never fired a shot but are more politically motivated  are promoted and given a voice in future wars. Something like that...but I always remember that and kinda agree...

1000% spot on. You will NEVER see them out on patrol or on convoy duty.
Instead of learning from what this guy said his leaders chose to let their egos dictate how not to lead. There is a difference between following orders and having an opinion a true leader would see that. Just my 2 cents.

tinybigeyes
I have mixed feelings on this:

- If he had been some lower enlisted service member, he would have been hammered. I'm wondering if in his BN CMD role, he ever UCMJ'ed any of his subordinates far harder for far less. (1 month's pay and letter of reprimand for violation of 4 articles)

- A military court handles things far differently that a civilian court. For better or for worse. Yet, most of the media commentary is based on civilian law. Frustrating.  

- I do not disagree on his assessment of the withdraw. He makes cogent points and demands accountability. I'm all for it. 

- It turned into a media circus. It's hard to believe this did not play a part in the outcome. 

- While his career will end at LTC, it could have been far worse. LTC retirement pay is substantial. 

- Who is willing to put money on him ending up as a military "expert" on Fox when the time comes?
(10-17-2021, 12:09 AM)ABNARTY Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 11:54 AM)727Sky Wrote: My dad once said that the solders who can sit on a dead horse or a muddy fox hole to eat are the first to go when the war is over as those who have never fired a shot but are more politically motivated  are promoted and given a voice in future wars. Something like that...but I always remember that and kinda agree...

You mean like light colonel Windbag, the Ranger School ration thief?  Amazing that guy won the Purple Heart and returned to duty the same day.  AND, he spied on the commander in chief and was hailed by our faultless press as a 'victim' because he was held to minor account for complete failure to properly accomplish his duties and comport himself with honor.

I read once a while back that a poor indicator of overall fitness in the U.S. military was how the officers all ended up with chests full of pretty ribbons, most of which meant little at all.  It was compared to Latin American militaries, who suffer from the same syndrome.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(10-17-2021, 08:51 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 12:09 AM)ABNARTY Wrote:

You mean like light colonel Windbag, the Ranger School ration thief?  Amazing that guy won the Purple Heart and returned to duty the same day.  AND, he spied on the commander in chief and was hailed by our faultless press as a 'victim' because he was held to minor account for complete failure to properly accomplish his duties and comport himself with honor.

I read once a while back that a poor indicator of overall fitness in the U.S. military was how the officers all ended up with chests full of pretty ribbons, most of which meant little at all.  It was compared to Latin American militaries, who suffer from the same syndrome.

Cheers

Now I'm going to have to look that stuff up. He just looked like a dud to me.