Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What GORDI has been up to lately... Wooden Pens!
Those of you who know me, will no doubt be aware of my many weird and wonderful hobbies! From Camping and camper vanning to playing guitar/drums, helping out with Forest Schools and Hazel-Coppicing to YES... carving wooden mushrooms in the forest!

Well, I have expanded my range of hobbies even further during the recent lock-downs, and it involves...... hand-turning wooden pens!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9816]

Just over a year ago, my wife Chrissie bought me a wood-turners lathe for my Birthday.
It was my intention to set this up in my garage/workshop, but I only got around to it about 2 or 3 months ago when I cleared some bench space for it.

I didn't have any fixed plans for what to do with it, but wanted to produce something useful - rather than just turning pieces of wood for the sake of it - and the first small project that caught my eye was wooden pens.
They are nice objects in their own right, but useful too as writing instruments (for those who still remember how to write!! LOL).

I discovered that you can buy "pen kits" online, which have all of the hardware: the clips, rings, tubes, nibs, buttons, ink refills etc and that all I'd have to do was turn the wooden pen bodies and assemble the pens.

I ordered some pen-kits, watched some instructional videos on youtubby and started gingerly attempting to operate my lathe.
The pens in the above image were my very first "successes", and I found that I really enjoyed the process of making them too.
I was pleased with my work, but knew that there was some serious room for improvement, especially with fit & finish.

A bit of further research and some new purchases in the form of sanding kits, friction polish, burnishing cream, more pen-kits, bushes, drill bits and an assortment of other stuff and I was hooked.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9821]

The variety of pen-kits and finishes.... the different types of wood.... the subtle differences that can be made in shape & form, even texture... It's a lovely wee hobby and it has been very good for me too - keeping my mind focused on creating good, useful things has helped to keep my mind positive too!

I have now expanded my horizons to many different pen types; slimline, fancy slim-line, fancy Celtic slimline, Atom, Key-Ring, Sierra, Rollerball... and I feel like I'm only just scratching the surface.

I've experimented with exotic woods like Zebrano (Zebra wood), Olivewood, Walnut, Red Grandis, Sapele, Idigbo etc as well as making use of more common local stuff like a Conifer shrub discarded and washed up on the beach near our holiday home, some Beech from our favourite local tree which had to be cut down as it had become dangerously unstable, some birch and hazel from local woodland clearances and I'm now finding that many of my out-doorsy friends are saying that they have off-cuts of wood from various projects which I might find useful, so I can see it being an on-going and long-term thing for me now.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9822]

If anyone's struggling with their mental state just now, and I KNOW that a lot of people are, then I'd just suggest finding a wee hobby that allows you to take your mind off the Big Bad World for a short while. It doesn't have to be turning pens or carving wooden mushrooms!!! just whatever YOU find that you might like to try. I've found mine - at least for the moment - and I can say with firm conviction that it works for me. It is helping to take my mind off the bad stuff, it's allowing me an avenue to be positive and creative, but it's also giving me an excuse to get closer to people too. A hand-made wooden pen makes a great ice-breaker, talking point or simple gift for a friend or stranger!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9823]

If you've been feeling a bit "down"... why not make the time to try out YOUR new hobby?
What have you got to lose?

minusculebeercheers 
G

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
Wow...! excellent products, Big man.
minusculebeercheers
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(08-13-2021, 12:01 PM)BIAD Wrote: Wow...! excellent products, Big man.
minusculebeercheers

THANK YOU!

I've actually SOLD some now, so it could end up being a wee business sideline too! (Although there's not really any profit in it!)

G
Beautiful work!
I am WonderCow....hear me moo!
Those are some really nice pens. My favorite is the keychain ones, they are so squatty and cute.

Even better is the fact that you can create something beautiful while relieving your mind of some of the stress of everyday life.

I hope you continue to create more beautiful items and share them here.
@"gordi" 

I enjoy a nice pen, it makes writing a pleasant experience.

You may want to check the design of the Schneider "K" series.  They have a sleek look and I always buy a few when I'm in Germany.

Example of their K1:

https://schneiderpen.com/de_de/kugelschr...roductMain

Having a wooden one would be beyond cool!

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

I'm a pen snob.  I refuse to use the Bics they issue at work, and instead buy my own Pilot ultra-fine gel ink pens.  I'm weird.

@Gordi those pens are works of art.  I especially like the pens in the last set of pictures, with the "finger groove."  Nice work!
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
3 or 4 months? Outstanding! smallawesome
What about a set of 007-style drum sticks...that can, in appropriate situations, turn into autographing tools. I'm sure they would be big sellers. smallgreensmoker smalllol

"Good judgment comes from experience...
Experience...? Well, that comes from poor judgment."
~ Dean Martin ~

Thanks guys!

Much appreciated.
G
(08-13-2021, 04:33 PM)gordi Wrote: Thanks guys!

Much appreciated.
G

How about shed-wood...? Timber from Boy In A Dress' old home?

Coated in magic and whatever strange stains the Man-Girl brought back from his forays, I'm sure such
material formed into one of your fine scribes would bring a pretty-penny or at least, provide an interesting
disease for your Doctor to puzzle over!!
tinywhat tinylaughing
Seriously, good workmanship there, Sir.
(08-13-2021, 04:40 PM)BIAD Wrote: How about shed-wood...? Timber from Boy In A Dress' old home?

Coated in magic and whatever strange stains the Man-Girl brought back from his forays, I'm sure such
material formed into one of your fine scribes would bring a pretty-penny or at least, provide an interesting
disease for your Doctor to puzzle over!!
tinywhat tinylaughing
Seriously, good workmanship there, Sir.

SHED PENS!
With "pearl" coloured ink no doubt!
Hey, I'll have a go at turning anything..... I even turned milk once!   (I know... I KNOW!!)

tinylaughing
(08-13-2021, 06:21 PM)gordi Wrote: SHED PENS!
With "pearl" coloured ink no doubt!
Hey, I'll have a go at turning anything..... I even turned milk once!   (I know... I KNOW!!)

tinylaughing

Lol! tinylaughing I'm sure you watch those YouTube wood-turning videos where coloured resins are used.
Like this one. (By the way, I typed into YouTube 'wood-turning' and it automatically ended the request
with 'pens'!) They never stop watching us!

AWESOME!  smallawesome

I just Love your pens.
What would a set with Dr. Guohua inked or burnt into it cost me. Pens, I can not use pencil on the insurance forms or patient forms.
Black and Red ink.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Those are beautiful! Great job!  

I really like the one for a key chain. I'm always finding myself out somewhere in need of a pen. That would work.

smallawesome
Those look phenomenal! I'm with @"Schmoe1" on the choice - last picture, far left, I can hear that pen calling my name. It's more the shape than the type of wood that calls to me.

I looked for your Ebay store, but without success - what gives, bro? You hoarding the pens?

My hobby was a little more destructive looking, but it kept my mind occupied. Lately, I've turned to growing things in an effort to make a kinder, gentler me. Not sure that's taking, but it's worth the effort. Cooking herbs and medicinal herbs are where I'm going to concentrate for the time being - I've only got about a half acre that I can work without having to cut down massive trees in a vast swath of forest, so I'm a little limited at present.

But seriously - If you are turning these things out in any kind of quantity, an Ebay store might be in your future. It's like I used to tell my ma, it's better to make your money on a hobby than to toil all your life at a job you hate!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Outstanding work!

I really like those.
(08-13-2021, 06:37 PM)guohua Wrote: AWESOME!  smallawesome

I just Love your pens.
What would a set with Dr. Guohua inked or burnt into it cost me. Pens, I can not use pencil on the insurance forms or patient forms.
Black and Red ink.

Thank You!

I haven't got around to working out how to inscribe the pens yet... I am still VERY new to all this!
If I do figure it out... I shall let you know.

G
(08-13-2021, 07:16 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Those are beautiful! Great job!  

I really like the one for a key chain. I'm always finding myself out somewhere in need of a pen. That would work.

smallawesome

YES!
They are very handy "on-the-go" and look very cute when you see them in the flesh (so to speak!).

Thank You!
G
(08-13-2021, 07:23 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Those look phenomenal! I'm with @"Schmoe1" on the choice - last picture, far left, I can hear that pen calling my name. It's more the shape than the type of wood that calls to me.

I looked for your Ebay store, but without success - what gives, bro? You hoarding the pens?

My hobby was a little more destructive looking, but it kept my mind occupied. Lately, I've turned to growing things in an effort to make a kinder, gentler me. Not sure that's taking, but it's worth the effort. Cooking herbs and medicinal herbs are where I'm going to concentrate for the time being - I've only got about a half acre that I can work without having to cut down massive trees in a vast swath of forest, so I'm a little limited at present.

But seriously - If you are turning these things out in any kind of quantity, an Ebay store might be in your future. It's like I used to tell my ma, it's better to make your money on a hobby than to toil all your life at a job you hate!

THAT sir, is your heritage calling you!
It's a Celtic fancy slimline pen in Olivewood with 24ct gold hardware.

I added the bulge/finger rest shape as a wee experiment, because I'm a clumsy big lump and tend to lean a little bit heavy on my writing instruments... the bulge assists with preventing having to grip too tight to minimise slipping down the pen shaft (ooer!)
I'm still very much learning my craft, I have now sold a few pens to people who've seen them and demanded to pay me for them, but I don't yet have any plans for a store.... quite yet! LOL

I totally agree that it's better to make money from something that you'd choose to do as a hobby anyway, absolutely!

Cheers,
G
(08-14-2021, 02:38 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Outstanding work!

I really like those.

Thanks Abs!
G