Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anybody Else Going on Vacation this Year?
Two more weeks of working in hot August hell, then we're going to Belmar, NJ for a week.  Beach all day with the wife and kids, dinner, then a few hours of surf fishing.  For a week straight.  Mentally, I need it.  We didn't go last year, with all the covid flu horseshit.

Might teach my seven year old body boarding this year.  I have fond memories of the Outer Banks when I was 12.  There was a hurricane maybe 100 miles off the coast, inbound, and made for awesome body boarding conditions.  Even though I got pummeled into that gravelly sand many times  tinylaughing

How about my fellow rogues, have any of you made it to the shore this summer or are planning to?
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
Not me.

I used to live on the coast of Virginia, and in 5 years there, I went to the beach exactly 4 times in 5 years, and I lived right next to it. I reckon I'm not a beach kinda guy.

The last 20 years I worked, I didn't take vacation at all. Mostly  for the first 14 years of that, it was so that someone was left to man the parapets while other folks could take their vacations, but in reality there was just nowhere I wanted to see that I hadn't already seen.

Now every day is a vacation. Nothing to do and all day long to do it. Makes me develop hobbies so I have something to do.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-09-2021, 04:31 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Not me.

I used to live on the coast of Virginia, and in 5 years there, I went to the beach exactly 4 times in 5 years, and I lived right next to it. I reckon I'm not a beach kinda guy.

The last 20 years I worked, I didn't take vacation at all. Mostly  for the first 14 years of that, it was so that someone was left to man the parapets while other folks could take their vacations, but in reality there was just nowhere I wanted to see that I hadn't already seen.

Now every day is a vacation. Nothing to do and all day long to do it. Makes me develop hobbies so I have something to do.

It's not for everyone.  I have family who can't stand the beach and would much rather spend a vacation in the mountains.  One of the few advantages to being in Philly is there are the Poconos 2 hours north, and the beach 1 hour due east.

Last year we didn't go anywhere, so I had a good bit of vacation time from work left.  We work four 9-hour days and 4 hours on Friday to get 40, unless there's overtime available.  With covid last year, we were slow, so I used all my vacation towards Fridays, and had a 3 day weekend every week for months.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(08-09-2021, 05:03 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: It's not for everyone.  I have family who can't stand the beach and would much rather spend a vacation in the mountains.  One of the few advantages to being in Philly is there are the Poconos 2 hours north, and the beach 1 hour due east.

Last year we didn't go anywhere, so I had a good bit of vacation time from work left.  We work four 9-hour days and 4 hours on Friday to get 40, unless there's overtime available.  With covid last year, we were slow, so I used all my vacation towards Fridays, and had a 3 day weekend every week for months.

I did go sailing on the Chesapeake a couple times in September so I could watch the little snotball jellyfish in migration, so there is that, but it ain't really "the beach", Buckroe Beach in Hampton notwithstanding.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-09-2021, 03:54 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: ...How about my fellow rogues, have any of you made it to the shore this summer or are planning to?

Being not one for leaving my garden, we did take a journey to Alnmouth in Northumberland, an area of northern England.
With my socks in my pocket and my trouser-legs rolled-up, I wandered in the shallows of where the North Sea meets the
estuary of the river Aln.

It was just for a day, but my wife and I enjoyed the quiet morning watching the patrons of the oldest golf course in England
(that snippet is for 727Sky!), the many types of waders going going about their foraging in the wet sand and the occasional
would-be surfer trying to catch the odd wave that was often nothing more than an oversized ripple.

We then travelled down to where my wife grew up in a little coastal town of Seaburn.
There, I had my first pint of beer in two years and whilst being watched by greedy seagulls, tucked into an early evening meal
of fish n' chips!

And that's it. That is how much this flu-crap has impacted on my life. Funnily enough, one of the sights that caught my eye
-a sight that well-represented the silliness splashed around by the dying media, was of a man and his daughter entering a
quaint cafe.

On a traffic-busy narrow Alnmouth street and with passers-by jostling to stay on a pavement designed for a long-ago quiet village,
this father donned his face-mask and entered the coffee-shop. His twelve year-old daughter did not copy her dad.

The reason...? The girl had Down-Syndrome and so was eligible not to wear one because of our dumb-assed fixation with
pearl-clutching towards those we deem as 'vulnerable'. In a room full of scared mouth-covered people, she was the normal
one and I couldn't help but clench my fist and whisper "that's my-girl!"

It was just a day, but a good one.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I hope you enjoy your beach time!

Not going anywhere of note. I spent so much time away from home during my Army time, I find myself not wanting to leave now. Home is cool. 

Not bashing anyone's plans or locations of choice. Please have a great time.
Point in any direction from where I live and you'll find a vacation/tourist destination within an hour's drive, maybe two hours for some places. So, for me, it isn't the beach, but all these beautiful places right in my back yard; that's where I go. Close by, no hotel needed. 
My family came in from out of state back in the spring. We did our "vacation" then, going to all the nearby attractions. I'm good for another year, however, I do like to get out and ride through the mountains when I get bored. But, that's not a vacation, just a day out. 

Enjoy your week at the beach. Sounds like fun.   tinybiggrin
(08-09-2021, 09:14 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 03:54 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: ...How about my fellow rogues, have any of you made it to the shore this summer or are planning to?

Being not one for leaving my garden, we did take a journey to Alnmouth in Northumberland, an area of northern England.
With my socks in my pocket and my trouser-legs rolled-up, I wandered in the shallows of where the North Sea meets the
estuary of the river Aln.

It was just for a day, but my wife and I enjoyed the quiet morning watching the patrons of the oldest golf course in England
(that snippet is for 727Sky!), the many types of waders going going about their foraging in the wet sand and the occasional
would-be surfer trying to catch the odd wave that was often nothing more than an oversized ripple.

We then travelled down to where my wife grew up in a little coastal town of Seaburn.
There, I had my first pint of beer in two years and whilst being watched by greedy seagulls, tucked into an early evening meal
of fish n' chips!

And that's it. That is how much this flu-crap has impacted on my life. Funnily enough, one of the sights that caught my eye
-a sight that well-represented the silliness splashed around by the dying media, was of a man and his daughter entering a
quaint cafe.

On a traffic-busy narrow Alnmouth street and with passers-by jostling to stay on a pavement designed for a long-ago quiet village,
this father donned his face-mask and entered the coffee-shop. His twelve year-old daughter did not copy her dad.

The reason...? The girl had Down-Syndrome and so was eligible not to wear one because of our dumb-assed fixation with
pearl-clutching towards those we deem as 'vulnerable'. In a room full of scared mouth-covered people, she was the normal
one and I couldn't help but clench my fist and whisper "that's my-girl!"

It was just a day, but a good one.
minusculethumbsup
St. Andrews is around 300 pounds to play 18 holes. I have played Pine Hurst in the states and many places in between but my 15$ golf course with a buggy is just fine with me !! My high dollar course in $32 but both courses you have a caddie which you have to tip.. I do not mind the tips as my caddies are fun to be with or I get a new one.. One of my girls is finishing her degree and she has to work OJT at a hotel for the next 6 months. She was my caddie for 5+ years and is like a young sister to my wife.

As far as a vacation to be honest I can fly anyplace in the world for just about $35 (usually first class) but for the last several years I feel like I have been on vacation here at my home. COVID restrictions have kinda messed the world up IMO so unless my province goes into lockdown consider me having fun and living the good life.. ....Plus.... my wife acts like she likes me so what more can a guy ask for ??

Actually We played golf on Sunday and the wife had 3 birdies !! I had only one birdie so she took some money off of me... Tomorrow is a grudge match....wish me luck cause I am gonna kick her butt...I hope !!
@"Schmoe1" 

Was on the Baltic coast early in the summer.  I am also not a beach person but Mrs Cav is.  So she enjoys the sun and surf and I sip coffee in the shade or wander around behind the shore.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

My wife and I drove out west to visit places like Roswell New Mexico,White Sands, Chaco Canyon then on to the Grand Canyon. From there , we headed north to the canyons in Utah and to Yellowstone. It was about a 3 week trip with both camping and staying in hotels. 

We got to experience alot, but it feels good to be home. 

I can stand the beach for a day or 2 and thats about it. I lived in Charleston, SC for 8 years, so the beach thing gets old.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere