Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Legend Of Spring Heeled Jack
This video is a very good and accurate collection of accounts of the spectre that scared the residents of southern England.

minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
There is an odd Czech echo of "Jack" -- a spry superhero who showed up during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A9r%C..._of_Prague

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

I've heard of Spring Heeled Jack before, and this video is not the first time I've thought that he'd be a fit subject for a movie of the "steampunk" genre, what with all his gadgets and devices seemingly out of place for the times.

it also strikes me as odd, the circumstances of the bricklayer. What sort of bricklayer wears solid white to work? He probably needed to be shot. There was clearly something not right in his head....

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-14-2021, 07:48 PM)Ninurta Wrote: ...it also strikes me as odd, the circumstances of the bricklayer. What sort of bricklayer wears solid white to work?
He probably needed to be shot. There was clearly something not right in his head...

That's what I thought...! A bricklayer wearing a all-white uniform in 1800's London?
I'll have to take a look around the net!
Aaaah, I think that parts of the Spring Heeled Jack story may have been Americanised or the use
of white apparel was a recognised uniform in the past.

Quote:Traditional White Clothing for Bricklayers, Stone Masons, and Plasterers

Universal Overall Co., Chicago
Traditional clothing for bricklayers, stone masons, and plasterers was more formal than it is today.
Plasterers and some stone cutters and masons customarily wore white or cream-colored shirts,
pants, and coats. In the USA today, some painters wear white work clothing, but the other trades
do not.

White painter’s pants, shirts, and overalls are still sold and even made in the US...
SOURCE:
(06-14-2021, 07:48 PM)Ninurta Wrote: I've heard of Spring Heeled Jack before, and this video is not the first time I've thought that he'd be a fit subject for a movie of the "steampunk" genre, what with all his gadgets and devices seemingly out of place for the times.

it also strikes me as odd, the circumstances of the bricklayer. What sort of bricklayer wears solid white to work? He probably needed to be shot. There was clearly something not right in his head....

Then gynocologists should wear red attire then?  tinydrroling tinydrroling
I still don't understand why the Kamikaze pilots wore helmets!
Never heard of Spring Heel Jack or the Hammersmith Ghost.  
Very interesting!

Of course, my thoughts are that Spring Heel Jack is an alien using futuristic technology to sustain himself on this planet. 
Nine feet tall?  Jumping over high walls?  Yeah, something going on there. 

Thanks for sharing these stories.
(06-14-2021, 08:58 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Never heard of Spring Heel Jack or the Hammersmith Ghost.  
Very interesting!

Of course, my thoughts are that Spring Heel Jack is an alien using futuristic technology to sustain himself on this planet. 
Nine feet tall?  Jumping over high walls?  Yeah, something going on there. 

Thanks for sharing these stories.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
Have to go looking these up.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I love this guys videos. He has an awesome voice for that stuff. 

He also makes some pretty solid arguments too.
(06-14-2021, 08:14 PM)BIAD Wrote: Aaaah, I think that parts of the Spring Heeled Jack story may have been Americanised or the use
of white apparel was a recognised uniform in the past.

Quote:Traditional White Clothing for Bricklayers, Stone Masons, and Plasterers

Universal Overall Co., Chicago
Traditional clothing for bricklayers, stone masons, and plasterers was more formal than it is today.
Plasterers and some stone cutters and masons customarily wore white or cream-colored shirts,
pants, and coats. In the USA today, some painters wear white work clothing, but the other trades
do not.

White painter’s pants, shirts, and overalls are still sold and even made in the US...
SOURCE:

My paternal grand dad was a carpenter and a stone mason. I never knew him to wear white clothes to work. granny would have thrashed him within an inch of his life if he had work white clothes to such dirty, gritty jobs when she was the one who had to do the laundry.

He usually wore bib overalls and blue pin-stripes to work.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-15-2021, 06:53 AM)Ninurta Wrote: My paternal grand dad was a carpenter and a stone mason. I never knew him to wear white clothes to work. granny would have
thrashed him within an inch of his life if he had work white clothes to such dirty, gritty jobs when she was the one who had to do
the laundry.

He usually wore bib overalls and blue pin-stripes to work...

It could well be that a small amount of modernity has become absorbed into the story from the video and the clothes
commonly used in the trade of industrial and household painting has been added. In all my time of working on construction
sites, I've only seen painters and plasterers in white overalls.

I believe that fairly modern perceptions have become accepted parts of the Spring Heeled Jack lore, in this case.
(As-in the majority of today's news outlets -when discussing general employment, tend to talk about people who work
in offices.)
(06-14-2021, 03:54 PM)BIAD Wrote: This video is a very good and accurate collection of accounts of the spectre that scared the residents of southern England.

minusculethumbsup

I always wondered if the Stones' song Jumpin' Jack Flash was inspired by spring-heeled Jack, but Keith Richards said it was inspired by his gardener... Seems a little uninspiring to write a song about your gardener doesn't it?
(07-06-2022, 04:52 PM)wtbengineer Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:54 PM)BIAD Wrote: This video is a very good and accurate collection of accounts of the spectre that scared the residents of southern England.

minusculethumbsup

I always wondered if the Stones' song Jumpin' Jack Flash was inspired by spring-heeled Jack, but Keith Richards said it was inspired by his gardener... Seems a little uninspiring to write a song about your gardener doesn't it?

Not if his gardener was BIAD.

Just saying.
 tinycool

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(07-06-2022, 05:03 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 04:52 PM)wtbengineer Wrote:

minusculethumbsup

Not if his gardener was BIAD.

Just saying.
 tinycool

tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing
(07-06-2022, 05:03 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Not if his gardener was BIAD.

Just saying.
 tinycool

No comment.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11599]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)