Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amazon Devices Will Soon Automatically Share Your Internet With Neighbors
(06-03-2021, 10:36 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: For those interested.  A Ubuntu Linux window running on my PC under Windows 10.  It doesn't take up the full screen.

[Image: ubun.jpg]

Cheers

That is running in a "virtual machine", a program that creates a virtual computer inside your physical computer. It also appears to be running in console mode, without a desktop. It doesn't take up the full screen because Windows is creating a window for it to run in, and the Linux thinks that window IS the full screen.

I don't know anything much about the MS version of Ubuntu, so I don't know if Microsoft left the desktop off on purpose, or if you just prefer running the console instead. Some people do prefer the command line to the desktop.

If you Google "virtual box" or "vmware", you can get an independent virtual machine program to run any version of Linux or Windows you like within it, and probably with more control over it. The downside is that if MS is providing a Microsoft-approved version in a Microsoft-approved virtual machine, Windows might uninstall any unauthorized virtual box software you install whenever they do their next forced update.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-04-2021, 09:31 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Finspiracy" 

Quote:That makes you a wizard.

Faded Anachronism.

Your Linux system can perform wonders of data processing, but it takes using a terminal window.  Command line interface is also probably needed for a lot of sys admin tasks as well.  But if you aren't doing that kind of thing, then, yeah, they're old guard stuff.

Cheers

'Tis true.

I use Windows because there is some software I use that just won't run in Linux. It has not been ported to Linux, and it won't run in WINE. On the flip side, there is some software I use that has no Windows version, either. So I have to use both, for different programs.

The version of Linux I use is Zorin OS. It has a desktop that mimics Windows 7, and isn't usually too difficult to install the software into It's mostly automated, and I don't often have to fire up the console to do a "sudo get apt". Sometimes I DO have to use the console for maintenance. I cut my teeth years ago on DOS, and it's not that far a stretch to learn new commands to make Linux do what it has to do from a command line.

I have some programs that run on both, so I can save a project and then open it again in the other OS.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’