Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Billy's Obituary my father
Quote:Billy's Obituary

Soldier, pilot, fisherman, raconteur. Born April 6, 1926 to Sidney Albert and Lorena (Zuber) King in Jacksboro, Texas, Bill spent his childhood on the various ranches where his father worked as a ranch hand. At age 14, he hitchhiked to Fort Worth, where he worked at various jobs until he decided he wanted to work for an airline. Bill was hired by American Airlines in 1942, where he remained employed until he was drafted in 1944. Following basic training, he was assigned to General Patton’s Third Army 80th Infantry Division, 317th regiment, M Company as a machine gunner. During the next few months, Bill would travel from Luxembourg through the Siegfried Line back into France, back through the Siegfried Line then into Germany, up to the border of Czechoslovakia, down to Austria, ending up near the border of Switzerland at war’s end. During that time he had numerous adventures and close calls with death. After the war, he served as a guard for Chief Justice Jackson during the Nuremburg trials. Upon returning to the US, Bill got his old job back at American Airlines. He remained with American for the next thirty years, finally retiring as a supervisor at Will Rogers Airport. For the next forty years, Bill enjoyed retirement relentlessly. He enjoyed flying his many different aircraft, was an active participant in flying clubs, ran personal businesses, managed a small local air strip, traveled, fished, and whatever else came to mind. For more than 20 years he was a snow bird with his dear wife Ann, going from Otter Tail Lake in Minnesota in summer to South Padre in winter. It took Parkinson’s and a recent severe illness to finally bring him to a stop on April 20th. He is survived by sons 727Sky and Benja his wife  and Paul and Susan; beloved wife Ann Baker; stepdaughters Diane Bone, Kathy (Roy) Yates and Lisa (Roger) Rains; granddaughter Tori; nieces Cheryl (Bruce) Cummings, Pam (Donnie) Seigler, and Jo (Wayne) Hatchell; grandchildren, great nieces and a great group of friends he made everywhere he went.

Dad was a good man IMO ... He passed away at 07:15 on the 21st of April 2021
 age 93
(04-22-2021, 12:28 PM)727Sky Wrote:

Soldier, pilot, fisherman, raconteur. Born April 6, 1926 to Sidney Albert and Lorena (Zuber) King in Jacksboro, Texas, Bill spent his childhood on the various ranches where his father worked as a ranch hand. At age 14, he hitchhiked to Fort Worth, where he worked at various jobs until he decided he wanted to work for an airline. Bill was hired by American Airlines in 1942, where he remained employed until he was drafted in 1944. Following basic training, he was assigned to General Patton’s Third Army 80th Infantry Division, 317th regiment, M Company as a machine gunner. During the next few months, Bill would travel from Luxembourg through the Siegfried Line back into France, back through the Siegfried Line then into Germany, up to the border of Czechoslovakia, down to Austria, ending up near the border of Switzerland at war’s end. During that time he had numerous adventures and close calls with death. After the war, he served as a guard for Chief Justice Jackson during the Nuremburg trials. Upon returning to the US, Bill got his old job back at American Airlines. He remained with American for the next thirty years, finally retiring as a supervisor at Will Rogers Airport. For the next forty years, Bill enjoyed retirement relentlessly. He enjoyed flying his many different aircraft, was an active participant in flying clubs, ran personal businesses, managed a small local air strip, traveled, fished, and whatever else came to mind. For more than 20 years he was a snow bird with his dear wife Ann, going from Otter Tail Lake in Minnesota in summer to South Padre in winter. It took Parkinson’s and a recent severe illness to finally bring him to a stop on April 20th. He is survived by sons 727Sky and Benja his wife  and Paul and Susan; beloved wife Ann Baker; stepdaughters Diane Bone, Kathy (Roy) Yates and Lisa (Roger) Rains; granddaughter Tori; nieces Cheryl (Bruce) Cummings, Pam (Donnie) Seigler, and Jo (Wayne) Hatchell; grandchildren, great nieces and a great group of friends he made everywhere he went.

age 93

hate to hear that, my condolences to you and your family. 
sounds like he lived a very full life, and enjoyed minute of it, except maybe during the war. oh and he wasn't a snowbird, he was just going back home being that he was born in Texas.
[Image: TWBB.png]

You have my condolences as well, April showers can mean more than 1 thing.  tinycrying
I will miss dad and our monthly phone talks. He was extremely close to my wife and she was always asking about him

I am just glad that he is now pain free and no longer a burden for Ann. People seem to never understand just how hard it is for the care giver in these situations. Dad and I both lost a wife to cancer several years ago and until I to went through that ordeal I had no idea what is was like to spend weeks in a hospital room as your mate fades into death.

If there is something after death I figure dad will have a good seat at the table.
Deeply sorry. Prayers going out. Please reach out if you need to.
My Deepest Sympathies 727Sky. The crossing awaits us all, yet it is only the beginning of a life so full of wonders, only the Creator could of conceived it. Billy has reached the Zenith, the pinnacle of creation awaiting us all, " No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart has imagined, what God has prepared for those who Love Him "   His reward is eternal...
[Image: 17310271-10212557759241863-6026755062431152412-o.jpg]
May your heart rejoice in that knowledge, He has seen God, He dwells in the presence of the Lord.
Sounds like he was a remarkable man and lived a good, long life.  

May he rest in peace.                    [Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2Fimage...f=1&nofb=1]      My condolences to the family.
A life full of unique experience. What more could one want?
Sincere Regards

"Good judgment comes from experience...
Experience...? Well, that comes from poor judgment."
~ Dean Martin ~

Sorry to hear of your loss. He made it to 93, and they don't build 'em that solid any more. My mom is 83, and you couldn't pin her down with a nail through the foot. They just don't build 'em that solid any more. I never wanted a warranty, I wanted to be built to last like they were!

The man had a hell of a life, and there is a degree of comfort in that. It's like I always tell my own son - I've already done everything I wanted to, so when my time comes, I'm ready for it, no unfinished business left to complete. It sounds like your dad may have been in that same boat - everything done, nothing left to do, so just enjoying the rewards of a life well lived while he still could.

He had a solid and eventful life, and for that I am glad for him.

RIP.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Sounds like a fine man and a father to be proud of.

The wake we leave in our lives can be truly remarkable, certainly in Bill's case.

minusculethumbsup minusculebeercheers
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I’m sorry for your loss. 

It sounds like he lived an amazing life.
You have my deepest condolences, @"727Sky" .  Losing a parent is a hard blow.

May he rest in heavenly peace.
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(04-22-2021, 12:28 PM)727Sky Wrote:

age 93

I'm sorry to hear this.   I guess we know where you got your love of flying.
Something for @"727Sky" 

https://www.80thdivision.com/images/317t...IIPath.jpg

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

@"727Sky" 

Just returned and read of your Loss, So Very Sorry, he sounded like a fine and gentle man.
Mr. G. send you his shoulder to lean on because it is so hard he says to loss your best friend.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]