Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Win10 and Firefox
I've been having issues with my laptop (Win10) suddenly having 100% load on the hard disk drive.  (As reported by Task Manager).

Tracked it down to Firefox.

Firefox doesn't do behave that way all the time, but there are instances where it somehow loads the drive access and really slows down the entire computer.

FYI for those who use Firefox.

If anyone knows of a good, secure browser that isn't a microsoft or google product, please advise.

Thanks and Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

I used Firefox all the time until I too started having issues with it.
I've since switched to OPERA and that seems to be OK, but I don't know too much about the background workings of it!
It does have a built-in VPN which I like (when it works!! LOL) and overall the browser seems to function quite well apart from when playing videos from Social Media, when it sometimes just won't comply! (I'm guessing that's THEM trying to make us switch to Chrome or some-such?

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
Thanks @"gordi"   tinybiggrin

Seems Firefox is not what it used to be.

Cheers

(04-11-2021, 07:44 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: I've been having issues with my laptop (Win10) suddenly having 100% load on the hard disk drive.  (As reported by Task Manager).

Tracked it down to Firefox.

Firefox doesn't do behave that way all the time, but there are instances where it somehow loads the drive access and really slows down the entire computer.

FYI for those who use Firefox.

If anyone knows of a good, secure browser that isn't a microsoft or google product, please advise.

Thanks and Cheers

i switched to brave. not as slick as firefox or others, and takes getting use to. and it has some built in features  it's kinda old school as far as setting it up. 
but it doesn't load up the CPU or burn up memory as bad.

my understanding is it's based off chrome and uses chrome extinctions.
[Image: TWBB.png]

When I finally had to switch to Windows 10 I ended up having to leave Firefox behind as well. I always loved Firefox before but it was just too glitchy after the Windows upgrade. 

I don't have a tested alternative for you though, I use Google Chrome, but Kdog probably knows a few- he uses different browsers for different things. I'll ask him when he wakes up. 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Run Firefox in safe mode, see if that makes it drop.

It's probably due to an add on you use, even the recommended ones can cause trouble from time to time, if it drops in safe mode disable add ons and try them one by one to see which is the culprit.
I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

Thanks all, good comments.  tinybiggrin

Cheers

I switched from FF to the Brave browser.  I like it just fine.