Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quercetin, Bromelain and Zinc
(04-02-2021, 01:46 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I’ve taken quercetin it really seemed to help my sinuses. My mom has had great results taking it. She had drainage all the time and it has stopped. 

I’m glad to read about bromelain. I’m going to order some. I’ve tried just about everything else for my joint pain. The last was a turmeric and boswellia combo. I only took it once a day though because that’s what the bottle said and I’m not sure how much you can really take. It helps but only for a few hours.

Grace has had 3 back surgeries, and takes valerian to help with back pain as well. Valerian is where valium comes from, which is used in back pain some times as it is a muscle relaxant. The valerian root can be got without a prescription, however...

I also eat hot peppers for congestion. It make me cough and hack like crazy, but the coughing and hacking clears out my airways.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(04-02-2021, 04:52 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 01:46 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I’ve taken quercetin it really seemed to help my sinuses. My mom has had great results taking it. She had drainage all the time and it has stopped. 

I’m glad to read about bromelain. I’m going to order some. I’ve tried just about everything else for my joint pain. The last was a turmeric and boswellia combo. I only took it once a day though because that’s what the bottle said and I’m not sure how much you can really take. It helps but only for a few hours.

Grace has had 3 back surgeries, and takes valerian to help with back pain as well. Valerian is where valium comes from, which is used in back pain some times as it is a muscle relaxant. The valerian root can be got without a prescription, however...

I also eat hot peppers for congestion. It make me cough and hack like crazy, but the coughing and hacking clears out my airways.

I think I’ll look into the valerian too. 

Not too sure about those hot peppers though. I’m a crybaby when it comes to spicy food.  I grow some really hot peppers every year, mostly because I think they are pretty. My husband eats a few but I end up giving most of them away.
Regarding anti-inflammatory stuff, here is some i like and i use:

-Chili

-Oregano

-Rosemary

These days i believe that depression is a sickness that has a lot to with inflammation. So i try to fight against it a little bit.

On another note, do not forget good fats. Fat is not always something bad for you. For meat eaters, i could recommend salmon. Lots and lots of good fats. For vegetarians and vegans, i recommend hemp seeds. Daily.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(04-01-2021, 09:19 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:13 PM)drussell41 Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 07:41 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Out of the three you mentioned, I only have zinc on hand. I know about Quercetin, but I don't have any.

I'll have to buy the other two because my allergies and sinuses go haywire in the spring from all the pollen here. 

Where did you buy yours?  Do I need a prescription?

If you get these, lmk how it works with your allergies.   Could help us distinguish whether it helps with allergies or low-grade infection.

Will do.   minusculethumbsup

It helps, but still having nose issues in the night apparently.  Up drinking a fennel tea right now and hopefully will go back to bed shortly, breathing improved.  I'm not sure the quercetin lasts 24 hrs.  It may be that a split dose works better.

How much quercetin do you and your mom take, and how often?   I'm not sure it lasts 24 hours and that once daily is often enough.  However, I also don't want to take too much of it either, just on the side of caution.

Thanks for lmk about you and your mom's experiences!
(04-02-2021, 03:58 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Sorry. I can't help you in the pharmaceutical stuff.

But I am glad to hear you are feeling better  tinybiggrin

Thanks.  :) minusculebeercheers
(04-02-2021, 04:52 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

Three back surgeries?  Oh man.  My sympathy on all the pain.

My GP wanted me to get back surgery.   When I read the stats on patient happiness with it (25% happy, 50 ambivalent, 25 destroyed), it didn't seem like a good bet to me.   Add to that:   my sister's SO knew nine men who had it.   Four suicided afterwards.      And another one of my docs recommended against it saying the failure/recidivism rate was too high.   If I ever get to the point that I can't walk without it, I'll consider it, but short of that....

Does valerian have any addictive potential to it, given that valium does?
(04-02-2021, 05:10 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Regarding anti-inflammatory stuff, here is some i like and i use:

-Chili

-Oregano

-Rosemary

These days i believe that depression is a sickness that has a lot to with inflammation. So i try to fight against it a little bit.

On another note, do not forget good fats. Fat is not always something bad for you. For meat eaters, i could recommend salmon. Lots and lots of good fats. For vegetarians and vegans, i recommend hemp seeds. Daily.

How do you actually use the chili, oregano and rosemary?
(04-02-2021, 07:35 AM)drussell41 Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 05:10 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Regarding anti-inflammatory stuff, here is some i like and i use:

-Chili

-Oregano

-Rosemary

I am a serious chili-head. Powder, sauce, chilis as such. In all kinds of cooking, but not pasta. Pasta is better with just a tomato based sauce and good cheese. Oregano is great on a pizza or warm sandwiches. And rosemary usually goes to pea+carrot soup.

I once got a nice sized bag of chili powder from a friend. "The Chile de árbol (Spanish for tree chili) is a small and potent Mexican chili pepper also known as bird's beak chile and rat's tail chile." Not very hot and fierce, but the taste was so pleasant that i can say that it is the best chili powder i have ever used. Sri Racha chili sauce is good, also not very potent but the taste is awesome. For getting an excellent capsaicin rush, Blair's make really good and hot sauces, they make me feel good, safe, and burning.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(04-02-2021, 07:52 AM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 07:35 AM)drussell41 Wrote:

-Chili

-Oregano

-Rosemary

I am a serious chili-head. Powder, sauce, chilis as such. In all kinds of cooking, but not pasta. Pasta is better with just a tomato based sauce and good cheese. Oregano is great on a pizza or warm sandwiches. And rosemary usually goes to pea+carrot soup.

I once got a nice sized bag of chili powder from a friend. "The Chile de árbol (Spanish for tree chili) is a small and potent Mexican chili pepper also known as bird's beak chile and rat's tail chile." Not very hot and fierce, but the taste was so pleasant that i can say that it is the best chili powder i have ever used. Sri Racha chili sauce is good, also not very potent but the taste is awesome. For getting an excellent capsaicin rush, Blair's make really good and hot sauces, they make me feel good, safe, and burning.

Sounds good!
(04-02-2021, 07:19 AM)drussell41 Wrote:

How much quercetin do you and your mom take, and how often?   I'm not sure it lasts 24 hours and that once daily is often enough.  However, I also don't want to take too much of it either, just on the side of caution.

It’s been awhile since I took it but I think I only took it once a day when I remembered to take it. My allergies aren’t that bad and nothing like my mom’s was. She said for her it depends on the mg how many times she takes it. She takes 400mg a day.
(04-02-2021, 02:14 PM)VioletDove Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 07:19 AM)drussell41 Wrote:

It’s been awhile since I took it but I think I only took it once a day when I remembered to take it. My allergies aren’t that bad and nothing like my mom’s was. She said for her it depends on the mg how many times she takes it. She takes 400mg a day.

Thanks.
(04-02-2021, 05:07 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I think I’ll look into the valerian too. 

Not too sure about those hot peppers though. I’m a crybaby when it comes to spicy food.  I grow some really hot peppers every year, mostly because I think they are pretty. My husband eats a few but I end up giving most of them away.

When I was young, my Dear Old Dad used to raise hot peppers every year. He would get two or 3 new varieties every year to test, and the hottest peppers out of the garden "won", and had seed saved back for the next year. over time, he managed to gather some pretty hot pepper stock. Every year, he would can them up in quart Mason jars. Whenever I'd go home, I'd eat them by the quart, and then pay dearly for it for the next 3 days or so, but that was when I figured out they'd keep my breathers cleared out.

I've also been known to get Taco Bell "Fire sauce" packets, and just eat the sauce straight out of the pack. Does the same thing. And I have drawn the occasional fearful (for my sanity) look by eating hot sauce sandwiches...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

-Chili

-Oregano

-Rosemary

I've still got two big bags of hemp seeds that I got in a grocery store in Kansas City, but never ate them because I didn't want to piss a false positive on a random piss test.

(04-02-2021, 07:30 AM)drussell41 Wrote: Three back surgeries?  Oh man.  My sympathy on all the pain.

My GP wanted me to get back surgery.   When I read the stats on patient happiness with it (25% happy, 50 ambivalent, 25 destroyed), it didn't seem like a good bet to me.   Add to that:   my sister's SO knew nine men who had it.   Four suicided afterwards.      And another one of my docs recommended against it saying the failure/recidivism rate was too high.   If I ever get to the point that I can't walk without it, I'll consider it, but short of that....

Does valerian have any addictive potential to it, given that valium does?

Oddly enough, anything has an addictive potential to someone. Everyone is different. Some folks even get addicted to video games, TV, or raisin cakes. With that said, the chemical is not as concentrated or refined in valerian, so while a potential is there, it's pretty slight, nowhere near the level of Mother's Little Helpers.

I think pharmacetuical companies do "stuff" to their products to MAKE them addictive, for the repeat customers.

(04-02-2021, 03:07 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 05:07 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I think I’ll look into the valerian too. 

When I was young, my Dear Old Dad used to raise hot peppers every year. He would get two or 3 new varieties every year to test, and the hottest peppers out of the garden "won", and had seed saved back for the next year. over time, he managed to gather some pretty hot pepper stock. Every year, he would can them up in quart Mason jars. Whenever I'd go home, I'd eat them by the quart, and then pay dearly for it for the next 3 days or so, but that was when I figured out they'd keep my breathers cleared out.

I've also been known to get Taco Bell "Fire sauce" packets, and just eat the sauce straight out of the pack. Does the same thing. And I have drawn the occasional fearful (for my sanity) look by eating hot sauce sandwiches...

My husband likes to test the peppers too. On any unsuspecting person that happens to visit during growing season. Usually it was our daughter and the neighbors daughter. He had no mercy lol. Both of them love spicy food though I’m guessing it’s because he dosed them with those hot peppers every year. 

You sound like my husband with the hot sauce. I think he would enjoy one of those hot sauce sandwiches with you.
(04-02-2021, 03:22 PM)Ninurta Wrote: I think pharmacetuical companies do "stuff" to their products to MAKE them addictive, for the repeat customers.

That's good news on the addictiveness front.  Maybe I will try valerian then one of these days. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they did make their products intentionally addictive.   All children of Mengele as far as I'm concerned.
I received my bottle of Quercetin and Bromelain today. I only took one pill, although it said to take two. My system is sensitive to some things, so I thought I'd play it safe on the first dose. 
Even with just one pill, I noticed about an hour ago that my sinuses are more open than usual and have remained open. 

Like you said, @"drussell41", I haven't breathed this freely in a very long time. 

Thanks for letting me know about this.    minusculeknocks
(04-08-2021, 01:43 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I received my bottle of Quercetin and Bromelain today. I only took one pill, although it said to take two. My system is sensitive to some things, so I thought I'd play it safe on the first dose. 
Even with just one pill, I noticed about an hour ago that my sinuses are more open than usual and have remained open. 

Like you said, @"drussell41", I haven't breathed this freely in a very long time. 

Did you get the combination pills, the ones with quercetin and bromelain in the same pill?

(04-08-2021, 01:43 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I received my bottle of Quercetin and Bromelain today. I only took one pill, although it said to take two. My system is sensitive to some things, so I thought I'd play it safe on the first dose. 

Yeah, my bottle said take two and I only take one also.   Same reasons as you. 

That's good to know that it helped!  I'm glad it did.  I don't think it's an absolute cure, but it sure seems to help. Do you take zinc too?