Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Is The Internet Doing To Boomers’ Brains?
(10-31-2020, 03:09 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: ha ha ha, one of the leading left wing fish wrapping rags saying boomers are sucking up misinformation when they are the one of the leaders / promoters of it.
hell i don't even use any social platforms, only time my digital shadow darkens one of them, is under one of the hundreds of phony names most of which i have forgotten, to check out a link posted that requires a log in, or those that don't.

Arianna Huffington, co founder is a big hypocrite. while still head of the fish wrapper she was on a radio show once at a business i was at one day, i think it was hanity. any way she was going on and on about people flying in airplanes, driving big ol fancy cars going on about how they poplute so much. hanity asked her how she got there, she hem hawed around and wouldn't answer, hanity asked isn't it ture you flew from england on a private jet.

she again hem hawed around some more and he kept on pressing her, and finally she yes she did but it was going there anyway.

so i guess in her lefty's mind, it's all right to do something if someone, something is already doing something.

pitiful, just pitiful.

Holey Moley hounddoghowlie, that has to be the La Brea Tar Pits of Bullsh_ _...! Even before Arianna took it over, it was viewed with a Very Jaundiced Eye.....
(10-31-2020, 06:01 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Fascinating reading....sent to me by a friend.https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f998...a2dc813d3d

I think this is just another example of how the media and the internet manipulates us into believing half truths as concrete facts.

The first question I have is what makes the Boomer brain any different from any other brain? Since Boomers spend less time on the internet than children and teens, why would their brains be the only brains affected? If children and teens are being affected at all, why are they singling out the Boomer brain in this article?

I can guarantee you the son and father discussed in the article would be disagreeing on something else if the internet did not exist. 

I have worked with the elderly for many years before I became one. One thing that is highly noticed but ill defined, is our change in personality. When you reach a certain age you just don't put as much value on agreeing with people. I guess after so many years of going along to get along, you just want to say "pock it!" (There is a story about that expletive, that goes back 47 years, I may share it one day. )

Sometimes us old folk just want to be contrary and quarrelsome, it gets our juices flowing, I guess. Now as far as the internet being a black hole of disinformation, well, at least they are being honest about that. And I can assure that it is sucking in far less Boomers than any other group they wish to identify or label.

If they were completely honest, they would have admitted that their article was a fine example of the black hole, and the sucking sound, that may be beyond your ability to hear, is the sound of being sucked into that hole, one more time.
(10-31-2020, 03:47 PM)PLOTUS Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 03:09 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: ha ha ha, one of the leading left wing fish wrapping rags saying boomers are sucking up misinformation when they are the one of the leaders / promoters of it.
hell i don't even use any social platforms, only time my digital shadow darkens one of them, is under one of the hundreds of phony names most of which i have forgotten, to check out a link posted that requires a log in, or those that don't.

Arianna Huffington, co founder is a big hypocrite. while still head of the fish wrapper she was on a radio show once at a business i was at one day, i think it was hanity. any way she was going on and on about people flying in airplanes, driving big ol fancy cars going on about how they poplute so much. hanity asked her how she got there, she hem hawed around and wouldn't answer, hanity asked isn't it ture you flew from england on a private jet.

she again hem hawed around some more and he kept on pressing her, and finally she yes she did but it was going there anyway.

so i guess in her lefty's mind, it's all right to do something if someone, something is already doing something.

pitiful, just pitiful.

Holey Moley hounddoghowlie, that has to be the La Brea Tar Pits of Bullsh_ _...! Even before Arianna took it over, it was viewed with a Very Jaundiced Eye.....

Arianna Huffington  has always had a hand in control of the rag she was one of the founders. others that were part of it all have one thing in common they shovel the bovine fecal matter that you accuse me of.

her co founders
Andrew Breitbart, you may know him as the founder of Breitbart News
Kenneth Lerer co founder of buzzfeed
Jonah Peretti the other co founder of buzzfeed

so for me looking at this, they are at best lefty's, spreading bullshit. or just plain old greedy money grubbing hypocrites playing both sides against the middle.

oh did i fail to mention that she was the wife of a republican congressman, and also a conservative commentator until the 90's when she switch to being a libtard
[Image: TWBB.png]

No one's accusing you ??  ?   naaaw not even. I used to do the circuit, D- Drudge Report,  H- Huffingtom Post  then W- World Net Daily..... all at that time, pretty much news sites. Mind you were talking in the ott's, like 06-07-08 etc back when Drudge had less choices bottom left    ......Blink... which fits, LEFT.

HDH, did I read that wrong ?

Also, I thought I had remembered some turnover at Huffington about back in the Obama admin. time frame, that's why I said when she took over. That may not have been an accurate statement.
(10-31-2020, 04:25 PM)PLOTUS Wrote: No one's accusing you ??  ?   naaaw not even. I used to do the circuit, D- Drudge Report,  H- Huffingtom Post  then W- World Net Daily..... all at that time, pretty much news sites. Mind you were talking in the ott's, like 06-07-08 etc back when Drudge had less choices bottom left    ......Blink... which fits, left.

HDH, did I read that wrong ?

my bad, it just sounded that way to me. here lets toast to clearing up the misunderstanding. minusculecheers

Whoo-ya friend, gulp, gulp
(10-31-2020, 04:25 PM)PLOTUS Wrote: Also, I thought I had remembered some turnover at Huffington about back in the Obama admin. time frame, that's why I said when she took over. That may not have been an accurate statement.

in 2010 or 11 aol bought it and she remained CEO as part of the deal. then Verizon bought AOL and she resigned.  there was talk about AOL or Verizon ( not sure which one it's been years as you said) needed to buy a right leaning outlet to balance out and look neutral but i don't think it ever happened.

YEA, I knew there was a ''something'' event that had happened, it made a small portion of the news for a short time in certain circles. Regardless those three to me are just comedic lefties.
Hmmmmm...interesting, high levels of pushback here. My Grandkids spend a ton of time on the internet but none of them are engaging MSM at all. Their interests seem to be more game and friendship centered.

I came to the conclusion that they don't care because they don't fear losing anything.

You can't sway the opinion of someone who doesn't care.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

The kids of today are different from us, almost like a new species. They are different from us in ways that we were not different from our parents or them from theirs.

They seem to operate in a completely different paradigm than we do and I'm not entirely sure that the things we value and care for aren't so far from their focus and value system that in the final analysis, historians wont wonder about the anachronistic nature of the struggles that are going on today.

My main concern comes from our dystopian views and how they are manifesting themselves into an apocalyptic reality.
When we seek confirmation bias on the internet, it's quite easy to find. Most of us spend less time with others and more time alone, this alone makes our brains work differently. Add the internet and you have quite a potent brew.
I'm quite aware of the fact that my lack of real life interpersonal contact I received from being in a 3D world colored my thoughts and experiences making me a different person.
People you meet on the internet will say and profess things that they wouldn't in real life.
Emboldened to a degree that often feels harmful. I think the article was merely trying to articulate that, but it appears to have brought out some real pavlovian responses here. Oh well, as the orange one says, "it is what it is". It is, right?
internet Agent Provocateur
(10-31-2020, 04:11 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 06:01 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Fascinating reading....sent to me by a friend.https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f998...a2dc813d3d

I think this is just another example of how the media and the internet manipulates us into believing half truths as concrete facts.

The first question I have is what makes the Boomer brain any different from any other brain? Since Boomers spend less time on the internet than children and teens, why would their brains be the only brains affected? If children and teens are being affected at all, why are they singling out the Boomer brain in this article?

I can guarantee you the son and father discussed in the article would be disagreeing on something else if the internet did not exist. 

I have worked with the elderly for many years before I became one. One thing that is highly noticed but ill defined, is our change in personality. When you reach a certain age you just don't put as much value on agreeing with people. I guess after so many years of going along to get along, you just want to say "pock it!" (There is a story about that expletive, that goes back 47 years, I may share it one day. )

Sometimes us old folk just want to be contrary and quarrelsome, it gets our juices flowing, I guess. Now as far as the internet being a black hole of disinformation, well, at least they are being honest about that. And I can assure that it is sucking in far less Boomers than any other group they wish to identify or label.

If they were completely honest, they would have admitted that their article was a fine example of the black hole, and the sucking sound, that may be beyond your ability to hear, is the sound of being sucked into that hole, one more time.

Reply filled with common sense.

minusculebeercheers

Putting everyone in the same basket is often times a deed of the medias. We're not from the same basket. None of us are. But they want us to believe that we are. Thinking differently, like you just did is magical to me.

There was once a teacher (in Marlon Brando's class) that asked the kids (Marlon Brando included) to behave like chickens that have just heard that a nuclear bomb was about to obliterate them all. The whole class started acting like freaked out chickens, running in circles in a panic. Marlon Brando just stayed there, pretending to lay an egg. When the teacher asked him what the hell he was doing, why wasn't he reacting like his fellow classmates, Brando just answered: "I'm a chicken, what do I know about bombs?!?!?"

Common sense. Wish I could rate you more than a +2 on this one...
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
Quote:There was once a teacher (in Marlon Brando's class) that asked the kids (Marlon Brando included) to behave like chickens that have just heard that a nuclear bomb was about to obliterate them all. The whole class started acting like freaked out chickens, running in circles in a panic. Marlon Brando just stayed there, pretending to lay an egg. When the teacher asked him what the hell he was doing, why wasn't he reacting like his fellow classmates, Brando just answered: "I'm a chicken, what do I know about bombs?!?!?"

Lol...great story!
internet Agent Provocateur
(10-31-2020, 09:50 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 09:45 AM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 09:25 AM)BIAD Wrote: It's the internet, it's not real.

Sure it is real. One of the three realities. Sleep reality, internet reality and the "real" reality.

Internet is a world within a world.

I stand corrected.
tinybiggrin minusculethumbsup

No no no... You don't have to. You wrote your opinion, i answered with my opinion. It's all cool. You don't have to "stand corrected" but you have to stand with confidence, and not let some Finnish drunk influence you online.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(10-31-2020, 09:51 PM)Antisthenes Wrote: Hmmmmm...interesting, high levels of pushback here. My Grandkids spend a ton of time on the internet but none of them are engaging MSM at all. Their interests seem to be more game and friendship centered.

I came to the conclusion that they don't care because they don't fear losing anything.

You can't sway the opinion of someone who doesn't care.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

Consider yourself blessed. 

Children just like old folk, are not all the same and they can surprise you without trying.

I had a conversation with my 14 year old nephew just last night. Sometime over the last six months he has come to some disturbing and ridiculous view points about Jews.

Keep in mind that this young man is being raised in a Christian home and has Jewish heritage. His supposed accidental veiwing of memes, disinformation, and just plain hateful information posted on the internet, has placed some pure garbage in his head. 

He is of the belief that he is smart, because he is in advanced honors classes. It did not take very long before he was backtracking as I questioned his declarations. 

I did not attack him. I took on the role of a student seeking clarification and knowledge. He admitted that I made some good points, and that he didn't have answers to some of my questions, and said he was going to have to look it up.

I was surprised to hear my nephew saying some of the things he was saying, but I should not have been. I pray that he was really just trying to see if he could bait me in, and thinks he was playing a clever joke.

I work with teens on a regular basis and I am very much aware of the influence that the internet and influencers have on the malleable minds of so many teens. So I should not of have been surprised at all.

I am not saying this is true for all children, but too many are victims of influencers as they are now named.

I will also add that a dear friend is presently in family counseling, in response to some serious trouble her  nine year old daughter got into playing around the internet. As most already know, children have to be supervised when using the internet, because it is not something children should be playing around with without supervision.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers