Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
China is building its own version of CERN: Twice the size and 7 times more powerful
Quote:China aims to build the largest and most powerful machine ever built by mankind, a supercollider twice the size of CERN in an effort to finally understand the universe and its composition.

The reign of the most powerful particle accelerator in the world, the LHC, the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland, could be coming to an end, and no, it is not going to obliterate our world and create a massive black hole in our solar system… yet.

China is actually planning to build a massive particle accelerator, one that would measure more than the double of what CERN measures. China’s version of CERN would measure between 50 and 100 kilometers and would be up to SEVEN times more powerful that the LHC in Switzerland.

According to China Daily, the new facility would be able to produce millions of Higgs bosons, many more than the European accelerator, where the Higgs boson particle was discovered in 2012.

The gigantic machine is currently in planning stages and construction is expected to start in 2021.

“We have completed the initial conceptual design and organized international peer review recently, and the final conceptual design will be completed by the end of 2016,” Wang Yifang, director of the Institute of High Energy Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, told China Daily in an exclusive interview.

The Institute of High Energy Physics already controls the largest facilities of High Energy Physics in China: the Beijing Electron Collider and Neutrino Detector Daya Bay.

But scientists want more ‘juice’ and have proposed a much more ambitious task, to build a new accelerator seven times the power of the European LHC.

Even though the LHC has managed to find all the particles predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics (the theory that predicts all the constituents of ordinary matter) there is still a lot of stuff in the universe that needs explanation.

[Image: darkmatterpie.jpg]

Source - Read More

I dont think another one is a good idea the other one scares me enough! its all good until it isnt !
Stop The World.

I want to get off now.

G
Is ok .... got BFG handy in case they open up any doorways ....
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

Oh my!  Just what the world needs, right?   tinyshocked mediumfacepalm 

(I would post more, but time isn't on my side right now.)