Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1984 - A Classic
In keeping with the levity of the holiday season, I thought I would post something here a little more light-hearted than the lockdowns we are currently experiencing in order to promote well-being and goodwill among people, Therefore, I present to you, in it's entirety and uninterrupted (except for those times when you choose to pause it in order to demonstrate to the Monitoring Authority that you are really just watching cat videos) the full and now colorized 1954 version of George Orwell's "1984".

Yes, I said more light-hearted than our current lockdowns. At least in Orwell's vision, the Proles were allowed to travel back and forth to work! And they HAD work to travel to!

However, as the film unfolds, we will see just what sort of dangerous shenanigans that freedom to travel can lead to... Take it as a tale of morality, a warning, and behave yourselves! Aren't you glad, deep down in your heart of hearts, that decision has been taken away from us by those who know much better how we should live, and who are therefore much smarter than we? After all, they are only looking out for our best interests!

Without further adieu:

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I watched this last week. Hate to admit that I had never read the book or watched the movie before, only hearing what people had to say. When I saw it was available on You Tube, I sat down and watched it immediately.

Seems there is definitely some time travel involved with the author of this film. 

Or maybe he was shown "the playbook" way back then.
There are several different versions of "1984" in film. I have all, or most, of them, but thought this one was safe to post here because - no nudity. The 1984 version of "1984" for example, has Julia being arrested buck naked in the room they were renting. That one also probably followed the book a lot more closely.

This one also, for some strange reason, keeps Winston's name intact, but changes "O'Brien" to "O'Connor". It also changed the name of the Underground leader, probably because the original was a Jewish name, and the producers probably feared it might have been misconstrued as anti-semitic.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(12-24-2020, 01:34 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I watched this last week. Hate to admit that I had never read the book or watched the movie before, only hearing what people had to say. When I saw it was available on You Tube, I sat down and watched it immediately.

Seems there is definitely some time travel involved with the author of this film. 

I remember reading it when I was a teen and thinking it would never happen in my lifetime. 

I also remember thinking in 1984 I would be in my thirties, and I would be really old.

The naivety and the silliness of the teenage mind. Now I would settle for any mind at all. Mine is surely fried.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(12-24-2020, 04:52 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 01:34 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I watched this last week. Hate to admit that I had never read the book or watched the movie before, only hearing what people had to say. When I saw it was available on You Tube, I sat down and watched it immediately.

I remember reading it when I was a teen and thinking it would never happen in my lifetime. 

I also remember thinking in 1984 I would be in my thirties, and I would be really old.

The naivety and the silliness of the teenage mind. Now I would settle for any mind at all. Mine is surely fried.
The joys of been a teen, thinking that one will live for ever, that by 25 your past it, and that one knows it all. Such fun  minusculebeercheers