Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gaslighting
I have a class coming up that I am really looking forward to.

I am sharing with you as much information as I can, and I am sorry, it won't be much. 

The class will be instructing on gaslighting. Synopsis from the class.

Quote:Victims of domestic violence are often impacted by gaslighting - a situation in which they are manipulated, made to feel crazy at overreacting, and experience blame-switching.  As medical professionals, your instincts, observations, examinations, and documentation can be key to helping a victim seek protection and justice.

I am excited about this class because I had a case about six years ago, where my patient was the victim of a case of gaslighting that was so intricately complex,  you would have sworn it came straight out of a novel or a horror movie.

I will admit that no one believed her, including me. Until about fifteen minutes into her interview, when it hit me like a brick, right between the eyes. It was tooooooo perfect. Way too perfect. No trauma victim would be able to make up a story or set of events that were that intricate.

When it hit me, I asked the team to take a look at the information the patient had provided. I asked them to step back and stop looking at the information in relationship to the event. 

It didn't take long before it became clear to the rest of the team, what we were dealing with.

I share this in hopes that you never are faced with a friend, neighbor, loved one, or even a stranger, for that matter, that is ever a victim of trauma. But if you ever do, don't fall into the trap of skepticism. The wilder and more bizarre the telling, the more likely that it is true. 

Always, always, start by believing. I learned that lesson the hard way, and I hope the class will enhance my skills, so I will do a much better job than I did the last time.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Basic training 101, believe the person but investigate, do not get personally involved because if you do you lose the understanding of what is going on. The reaction of the team also gives massive information as to what you are dealing with.
Good advice you are giving