Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thank you SO Much....
The term seems to have arisen after the ott-teens, in recent times. Words and lingo along with slang, seem to be, and often times are transitory. Often iniated by juveniles approaching adulthood. Lots of words have come and gone.. Bichin (cool, good, exceptional, beautiful, a positive value) ,  

ASS, (the opposite of all the previous 'bichin' descriptions, ie. looking basically absolutely Bad, no saving graces). A Grip, ...a lot, a great many or numerous few, but an amount pleasingly sufficient. 

Tubular, (too cool, so with-it. successful popularity and so on. Valley Girl, airhead glamour)

A great deal of the slangs most of us remember are and were from post-war times. But since, following generations have coined their own verbage, exclusive to themselves.

But as with everything, it either becomes popularized or bastardized. The usage of some words takes older listeners by surprise at the seemingly absurd meaning trying to be conveyed, thus are considered bastardized.  Other times it just seems an evolution of meaning as tech is brought to light and new horizons open.

English is a complex language with nuances, inflections, and a host of regional dialects and accents. 
You will notice alot of people poor in oratory ability using phrases/words like .......... Like,  Uh,  So,  I mean,  you know,   and others as a preface or as a tool to give time to think while formilating the conversation... Not everone is a good orator (speaker)

Well then.... does it seem to you that   'So much'   has just become the latest of conversation conclusions or terminators, the hip, the 'extra mile thanks' of gratitudes ? Do you try to avoid using it, conciously or compulsively ?
Sticks and stones can break my...............   ....... ......

Meaningless minutia you find yourself doing.
Authored by an old person...
My pet peeve are minced oaths.

Just say it or find another way to express the thought.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

I've noticed the language being changed by each generation too. I had to explain to my parents what I meant when I said, "cool" instead of "groovy", etc.

I was talking to an older member of my family not so long ago and I said something about being "pissed off".  She looked at me like I had just been doomed to hell for repeating the word.   tinylaughing My family has always been highly "religious".
I forget sometimes that "pissed" hasn't been added to everyone's vocabulary as meaning, "I'm angry".

I'm not the best with articulating my thoughts; I just speak, and write with simplicity. Why do we need so many words that all mean the same thing anyhow?
I think that due to the lack of facial hints and tones of a person's voice in this manner of communication,
other means are used to emphasise one's meaning. Since narcissism is so strong on the internet where
millions of people are vying for prominent attention, an overload of emphasis is needed to make one's
words that little-more important.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(11-05-2020, 06:36 PM)BIAD Wrote: I think that due to the lack of facial hints and tones of a person's voice in this manner of communication,
other means are used to emphasise one's meaning. Since narcissism is so strong on the internet where
millions of people are vying for prominent attention, an overload of emphasis is needed to make one's
words that little-more important.
minusculethumbsup

Well said and razor sharp...
Quote:Why do we need so many words that all mean the same thing anyhow?

English has taken in many words from other languages.  There is some overlap.

Cheers

(11-05-2020, 06:49 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote:

Cheers

Ask the French!!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(11-05-2020, 06:52 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 06:49 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote:

Cheers

Ask the French!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_goddams tinylaughing 

Cheers

I don’t like it when people are giving a speech and say “um” every other word. Where I used to work there were weekly updates we had to watch where somebody would do a presentation. There was one lady I would mute, let it play through then email that I watched it.

As for saying “so much”. I am guilty. I’ve said it for years. Probably from working with the public. Everyone is always in such a hurry and it was a quick easy way of being polite, so it became a habit.
(11-05-2020, 07:10 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I don’t like it when people are giving a speech and say “um” every other word. Where I used to work there were weekly updates we had to watch where somebody would do a presentation. There was one lady I would mute, let it play through then email that I watched it.

As for saying “so much”. I am guilty. I’ve said it for years. Probably from working with the public. Everyone is always in such a hurry and it was a quick easy way of being polite, so it became a habit.

Have a nice day, So much, have become pedantic and plodding. I'm not against  saying it, it is so automatic now days for many. The 'Special appreciation it once meant is now lost...... in my opinion. And I Do conciously try to avoid using it.
A curious thing... when I was in my thirties, post Vietnam, buffed and tough, with un-attainable vissions of the world, and perhaps thicker than I percieved myself to be...... I worked at a Truck Tire Shop in Anaheim California. There were several of us working, most had service trucks and a couple of us in the yard for local traffic.  We all partied every time the opportunity availed itself and in the course of everyday we would play the Rock stations of which there were two. KLOS and KMET out of Los Angeles. In a show of bravado or for no reason at all we would holler a sound of HOO-Yaaa, as one woud say it, it usualy brought a chorous of HooYaaaa's This went on for some time and some of us were friends with others who were friends with others etc. The one guy Jim Ladd from KMET and another of their DJs Paraquat Kelly heard the HooYaaaa a few times and it quickly became a vernacular used in the opening remarks and show starts, and sometimes for no reason at all a HooYaaaa inturupted in the middle of anything, everything became game.

There were Jim, me Chris, Bruce, Vic, Hip, Delmer, Jackie, Mark, Pete, and Kenny who were the beginning of the trend, the novelty..  During those years in that location So-Cal you were always mingling with sem-famous or celebrity people, sometimes just your next door neighbor or cousins boyfriend..

Yea, I guess some words become trendy for a while.
I dislike that so many young people that work in shops ect, have started saying every second word "YES". so I have started saying "NO" when they say yes. They look at me as if I was mad.