Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GGG2020 - Not an entry
The following is NOT an entry in the GGG contest, but it comes around the same time as the contest, so I felt a need to differentiate it.

===========================================================================

As it turned out, The Pandemic DID have a second wave. It ran all though the winter, then tapered off again once spring came. The second wave was quite a bit worse than the first. I suspect that was down to folks being worn out with putting up with the bullshit from the first wave. We ("we" meaning me and mine) survived the first 4 months of the second wave on canned goods and stocks of food previously purchased during the first wave and laid back, but of course nothing lasts forever. Especially when you are eating it, and more especially after the power stops working. It turned out that canned goods and dry goods were the way to go, but even those eventually ran out.

So eventually, the food stocks ran out, and I had to start hunting to feed us. I was good with that, and had prepared accordingly, stocking up on ammunition beforehand as well as food. So, when the food ran out, the ammunition kicked in. Life was still good. 

I did have to shoot a few looters, but I was good with that, too. When Law and Order finally disintegrated, I found that I was in my element - I no longer had to put up with anyone's shit, so of course I didn't... but a few people did insist on trying me. I did not eat them, of course - not out of squeamishness about cannibalism, since I was not a squeamish man, but more out of concern for The Pandemic, and a desire not to catch it... and then there was the problem of prion diseases that had started making the rounds. Better safe than sorry. Considering the places I had been and the things I had done, I had not lived to be an old man by taking stupid chances... so I dumped their carcasses into sinkholes. Deep ones.

That lasted just over 5 years. Eventually, I was down to black powder, "roll your own" cartridges - no more store bought brass ammo. Actually, the looters had occupied most of my store-bought brass  ammo. To make matters worse, the only black powder arm I owned was a Colt 1851 Navy - style revolving pistol, six shots to empty. So I carried that  - loaded with roll-your-own cartridges with 18 or 24 loads in reserve in an ammo pouch, waiting to be loaded mostly just for self defense - for emergency shooting only. For basic hunting shots I had made a bow and arrow set.

Yeah, it had come down to that. Civilization had not returned in the previous 5 or 6 years, and it was starting to look like it never would...

Then, the Zombies came. Lots of them. I was not as fast as I had been when I was a young man.

===========================================================================

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

minusculebeercheers