Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wife witnesses my Sleep Paralysis Episode
In the past I've had many sleep paralysis episodes over the years mostly in bed.  Some have been frightening, accompanied by visions, others I just ignored and went back to 'real' sleep.  I attempt to make noise (mumbling) and move alerting 'true love' beside me and have asked her if she ever hears me at night then wake me up.

For the first time today my wife witnessed an episode in daylight.

I had a long day yesterday, (Sunday) felling some grand old gum trees, 'Spotted Gums' that had been basically killed by last years fires and were dropping branches from some 60 feet up. This was at a nearby neighbors property.  One was close to 4 feet thick.   So my elder son helped me.  Took my better saws.  Did the job, cut, billeted the tree trunks. and loaded about 3 tons of block timber and went home.  As I get older I find the saws getting heavier.  What's this got to do with sleep paralysis ?  Methinks I over exerted myself, hot humid day up in the hills. 

After this my son and I drove home.  Unhitched the trailer of timber and emptied the utility.  I tested the hydraulic log splitter to see how it handled some of the more knotty blocks.   After that I drove the son into town where he lives and I returned home.  I was feeling tired but I had loaded up with plenty of water all day so while preparing dinner I chucked back a couple of frothies and waited for "Truey' to get home from work.  It was the Grand Final' night of the NRL so I cleaned up the big screen and set the lounge-room table.

'Truey' came home.  After other chores and dinner we settled down to cheer our opposing teams.  Not long into the second half of game play I got very tired.  Excused myself and went upstairs to bed.  My head hit the pillow and I was out for the count.  A storm hit about 1am waking me up.  Thunder, lighting and the obligatory heavy rain.  I got up, went downstairs and unplugged some of the utilities.  Except my computer.  I rolled a dart and checked out a few things on the Tube, news and got caught up transferring old pics from a card to some folders.  Storm had passed and before I knew it I could see twilight through the window.  Crikey!  Went and made a coffee.  Fed the dogs and cat, let the chooks out and settled on the lounge with the TV on catching up with the highlights of last nights game.  I set up a pillow, laid back.  'Truey' comes down and we had a chuckle about me waking at 1am.  She sets herself up on the adjoining lounge.  TV is on, news etc.   It's now a little after 7am.

I don't remember nodding off.  I remember the episode though.  I could hear voices, most likely the TV.  I couldn't move but I could think and through the slits in my eyes I could discern movement.  Again most likely the screen of the TV.  I wasn't aware I was on the lounge, just aware that I was having an episode so I struggled to move, trying to call out but only muffled sounds emerged from my closed mouth.  I gave in, went back to sleep.  It was shortly after that I woke up.  The 8.30am news had just started.  Truey looks over and says, "What were you dreaming? You were acting like one of the dogs having a bad dream."  I told her what happened.  She said, "Well I was about to wake you because you were twitching, especially your feet and hands and you were mumbling something. Then you stopped."  

Sorry for the long intro but after much thought it may have occurred because of the circumstances I outlined.  It was also interesting to me that my wife witnessed it.  She told me it went on and off for a couple of minutes.  This might coincide with me initially trying at times to roll out of the paralysis, stopping and trying again then I stopped resisting and woke up.  No demons on my chest, no scary dreams just that godamn paralysis.  

Makes me wonder though.  My wife's analogy. When the dogs act like that, are they having an episode and trying to wake themselves. 

Thanks for reading,

Kind regards,

Bally:)
Quote: When the dogs act like that, are they having an episode and trying to wake themselves.
I don't have a dog, so I can't ask.   huhehuh  
Just be happy you didn't see the angle of death, the lumber jack, or some other terrifying entity that others have described.
I have never experienced this myself; probably the ONLY thing I haven't experienced.
What I find odd is after a long day on the road, when I close my eyes, it still "feels" like I'm in the car and staying focused on the traffic around me.  Even sensations of seeing things pass by on the sides like vegetation and signs.  Almost like that many hours of driving burns the impressions into the brain and it takes a while for the brain to let the experience go.

Thanks @"Bally002" , fascinating account.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(10-26-2020, 02:10 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
Quote: When the dogs act like that, are they having an episode and trying to wake themselves.
I don't have a dog, so I can't ask.   huhehuh  
Just be happy you didn't see the angle of death, the lumber jack, or some other terrifying entity that others have described.
I have never experienced this myself; probably the ONLY thing I haven't experienced.

We see the one of the dogs (4) do their dreaming on occasions.  Not unusual as they sleep at our feet or on the lounge.  There's a lot of vids out there with 'dogs' dreaming.  

I've had the problem, infrequently, all my adult life.  Can't predict it.  

Kind regards and thanks for the reply,

Bally :)
(10-26-2020, 08:50 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: What I find odd is after a long day on the road, when I close my eyes, it still "feels" like I'm in the car and staying focused on the traffic around me.  Even sensations of seeing things pass by on the sides like vegetation and signs.  Almost like that many hours of driving burns the impressions into the brain and it takes a while for the brain to let the experience go.

Thanks @"Bally002" , fascinating account.

Cheers

I know what you mean from that perspective.  After months of sea time and noise in the navy I had the wobbles for a couple of days and found it difficult to sleep in still silence when ashore.  Still had that motion passing me by.

But this one was interesting to me because it was observed.

Cheers for the reply,

Bally:)