Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fragile mother
This is kind of a sad post . Country . Australia .
I am a murderer , yes  , a murderer . Poor lady was walking across the shed floor and i kind of panicked as i had not seen this kind of spider before , so , i squished her . Well i thought i had , but , luckily not as happily hundreds of her offspring took off in all directions . Whew . The not so lucky ones , bit hard to give mouth to mouth to something 1.5 mm long but at least my clothing may be a nice place for some of their siblings to live . 

Yes it happened , sweat dreams . And i am truly sorry is squished her .
I would have squashed as many of the littles as I could.
Tossed gas and a match to those old clothes. Spiders have No Need To Live.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I understand. Spiders are creepy but I always watch out for them.
Spiders are cute. I always let them roam free.

Snakes on the other hand.. minusculespooked
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
When I first moved to west Michigan, I became interested in the natural flora and fauna and the local history from the territory era onward. The native tallgrass prairie remnants became of particular interest and so I would wander the public land (or not so public) looking for native grasses, plants and wildlife that include rare plants like native Prairie Smoke and threatened insects like the Karner Blue butterfly.

One insect of special interest were spiders. I have found a small trapdoor spider I can't identify online and two types of Northern Black Widow. The first black widow I saw was in a prairie remnant on a big clump of prickly pears. I tried to kill it with my shovel when I saw what it was. I've found many of them since and I find them to be extremely shy and avoid living in houses or out buildings, so I don't harm them and leave them be.

Now in my swamp, I've found them around my house, but this one is a very pretty sub-species I would relocate when I found them. The usual markings on the female Northern Black Widow are black body with a broken red hour glass on the underside of the abdomen. This one near the house has sky blue, red and white markings on it's back and a broken hourglass outlined in white underneath. I found several of these, a couple were even around the front porch and on the door jam. I found one just this season. I capture these ones and release them out by the ditch and power line easement.

The wolf spiders around here get big and really like hiding under tarps. For a large predatory spider, they are not really that aggressive though. One of the biggest ones I found is when I had some stuff under the front porch with a tarp over it. I reached under the porch without looking and I grabbed something that pinched my hand. I looked and there it was looking me right in the eye. I grabbed him pretty hard and he never bite hard enough to penetrate, so I give them a lot of respect, unless they get into the house.
There are a couple weeks here in North Carolina where caterpillars are prolific. They cross the roads from one forest to the opposite forest. So you see them hauling butt across the blacktop.
Often times their in the path of traffic and no doubt many perish under tires. Since my Lasic, I have 2020 eyesight and seeing ahead spot them making their way across the streets. (Also water turtles do this) and I find myself occasionally slowing to avoid or swinging one way or the other slightly to avoid running them over. 
I believe killing them by running them over would be senseless, especially the turtles. But even the caterpillars I try to save......
(10-20-2020, 01:03 PM)hutch622 Wrote: This is kind of a sad post . Country . Australia .
I am a murderer , yes  , a murderer . Poor lady was walking across the shed floor and i kind of panicked as i had not seen this kind of spider before , so , i squished her . Well i thought i had , but , luckily not as happily hundreds of her offspring took off in all directions . Whew . The not so lucky ones , bit hard to give mouth to mouth to something 1.5 mm long but at least my clothing may be a nice place for some of their siblings to live . 

Yes it happened , sweat dreams . And i am truly sorry is squished her .

Then there's that other eight legged variety you are quite fond of too mate  tinybiggrin Kind Regards, Bally :)
[Image: Crab.jpg]