Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At Grandma's house.
Grandma's house, is where the hands of the clock take a vacation with us and the minutes unhurriedly arrive.
Grandma's house is where a simple pasta and homemade bread seem to have different flavours, delicious...
Grandma's house is where an innocent afternoon, can last for an eternity of games and fantasies.
Grandma's house is where the cupboards hide old clothes and mysterious tools.
Grandma's house is where the closed boxes become chests of secret treasures, ready to be unveiled.
Grandma's house is where toys rarely come ready, they are invented on the spot.
Grandma's house, is where everything is mysteriously possible, magic happens and without worries.
Grandma's house is where we find the remains of our parents' childhood and the beginning of our lives.
Grandma's house, on the inside, is the address of our deepest affection, where everything is allowed.
I never met any of my Grandparents, except one, and she died on my 5th Birthday so I can't really remember her, she had Dementia so never really knew me either.

This is great though @"PLOTUS" gets my imagination going!
I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

(09-24-2020, 11:13 AM)PLOTUS Wrote: Grandma's house, is where the hands of the clock take a vacation with us and the minutes unhurriedly arrive.
Grandma's house is where a simple pasta and homemade bread seem to have different flavours, delicious...
Grandma's house is where an innocent afternoon, can last for an eternity of games and fantasies.
Grandma's house is where the closed boxes become chests of secret treasures, ready to be unveiled.
Grandma's house, is where everything is mysteriously possible, magic happens and without worries.
Grandma's house is where we find the remains of our parents' childhood and the beginning of our lives.
Grandma's house, on the inside, is the address of our deepest affection, where everything is allowed.

both my grannies could cook their asses off. momma's was good but her mothers was better straight up country ass food made with real butter and lard. except for my momma's naner pudding and cornbread dressing,  both of my grannies would throw theirs out if momma brought hers to a get together.
(09-24-2020, 11:31 AM)Moonmagic Wrote: I never met any of my Grandparents, except one, and she died on my 5th Birthday so I can't really remember her, she had Dementia so never really knew me either.

This describes my Aunties house, because I lost my grandmother around the same age as you.

This definately describes my house now. My mother lives with me, so my house is the family gathering place. The part about the closed boxes and treasures speaks to one of the favorite experiences for the children. It is like a Christmas experience with every trip to Nana's house. 

Add to the experience that you go over the river and through the woods to get to Grandma's house and the magic begins before you get there.  tinylaughing

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(09-24-2020, 01:56 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 11:31 AM)Moonmagic Wrote: I never met any of my Grandparents, except one, and she died on my 5th Birthday so I can't really remember her, she had Dementia so never really knew me either.

This describes my Aunties house, because I lost my grandmother around the same age as you.

This definately describes my house now. My mother lives with me, so my house is the family gathering place. The part about the closed boxes and treasures speaks to one of the favorite experiences for the children. It is like a Christmas experience with every trip to Nana's house. 

Add to the experience that you go over the river and through the woods to get to Grandma's house and the magic begins before you get there.  tinylaughing

That sounds so exciting to me lol Maybe one day I'll get to be the Grandad tinybiggrin

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

My Granny's house was like that in most ways- though mine didn't cook- but it was also the place where I worked my backside off before any fun was to be had. Taking care of the livestock, gardens and fruit trees took precedence over all other things. Household chores and chores in the yard and barn. Processing meat and canning. Quilting and sewing. Hunting, fishing, crabbing and frog gigging. Serving the church. Fun and creativity was encouraged but only after all work for the day was completed. 

Best part about Granny's house was I could talk to her about anything at all and she made sure I was well educated. When I started school I was years ahead of my classmates.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(09-24-2020, 03:04 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: That sounds so exciting to me lol Maybe one day I'll get to be the Grandad tinybiggrin

I never thought about it before it happened, but now I try to make beautiful memories that will be the topic of family gatherings long after I am gone.

When you are granddad, Uncle, or the crazy guy that came to dinner, be the best you can be, and leave them with something to talk about.  minusculebiggrin

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(09-24-2020, 03:17 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 03:04 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: That sounds so exciting to me lol Maybe one day I'll get to be the Grandad tinybiggrin

I never thought about it before it happened, but now I try to make beautiful memories that will be the topic of family gatherings long after I am gone.

When you are granddad, Uncle, or the crazy guy that came to dinner, be the best you can be, and leave them with something to talk about.  minusculebiggrin

I definitely do the uncle thing already, never thought about it in the same way though til now!

You're good people @"NightskyeB4Dawn" Thank you! tinybiggrin

- Epictetus

And Grandma  had a pottery cookie jar much like this, green with floral prints, and oh...... it was always filled with these.....
[Image: 17cbacf67f1b7b2f76c4206e5d5f7bbb.jpg]

picture url

[Image: download-1.jpg]

[Image: images.jpg]

[Image: Watt-Pottery-Cherry-Pattern-Cookie-Jar-p...-368-f.jpg]
Sometimes a special treat..... Persimmon cookies, homemade..!
(09-24-2020, 11:13 AM)PLOTUS Wrote: Grandma's house, is where the hands of the clock take a vacation with us and the minutes unhurriedly arrive.

All true - and now I live in that house, with an attic full of treasures from the "good ol' days" that grandma and grandpa thoughtfully left behind... there are still two feather beds up there!

... and now I AM grandpa!

I can stand on my porch and gaze down the hillside to the bridge across the creek, and the years peel away... I'm 5 years old again, fishing off that same bridge with a jerk-pole grandpa made from a cut sapling and fleshed out with a raid on granny's sewing box for thread to make fishing line and a bent straight pin for a hook, little gobs of rolled bread for bait... and you KNOW I had granny fry those bullhead minnows I caught, now don'tcha?

On the side of the house there is a deck now, where I can stand and look over a weedy patch of ground, and if I squint hard enough, I can still see grandpa's bee gums that used to stand there...

Just across the back fence used to stand an old hog house that I tore down last summer. At the corner of it was a blackberry patch where I saw my first bear when I was 8 or 9 years old...

Everywhere I look here, I'm a kid again. Here's hoping that the country survives long enough that MY grandkids have that same experience when they are old, and I am long gone.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’