Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
True or not this is what was taught when I was in grade school
Quote:
Quote:By Mark W. Stephens

Quote:When people think of Texans, they rightly think of our heritage.  Rugged individuals who came together to forge our Republic.  Heroes and fighters.  Men and women void of fear.  They think of the “Old 18,” eighteen men who stood against the Mexican Army as they tried to claim the Gonzalez Canon and held them off until the Texas Militia arrived.  They think of the Texas women who ripped away part of a wedding dress and pieced together that infamous white cloth with a drawing of a Lone Star, a canon, and a simple four-word reply to the mighty Mexican Army… “Come And Take It.”

Quote:They think of the “Immortal 32,” thirty-two men from the Texas Militia who marched fearlessly from Gonzales to San Antonio, knowing it would be their last, to unselfishly reinforce their fellow Texans under siege at the Alamo.  

Quote:They think of the couple of hundred defenders of the Alamo who CHOSE to stay and fight against a couple of thousand Mexican soldiers, knowing it was a death sentence.  They think of how those few men held off the powerful Mexican Army for thirteen full days before they offered the ultimate sacrifice for the birth of the Texas Republic.  

Quote:They think of men like Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, and Colonel William Barrett Travis, the latter of whom requested reinforcements as he battled the Mexican Army.  Knowing in his heart they would never come, still, he wrote, “I shall never surrender or retreat” and he let the world know he understood his fate when he further wrote, “I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor and that of his Country.  And they think of that tenacious signature that has gone down in the annals of history and will forever be remembered as one of Texas’ proudest moments, “VICTORY or DEATH.”

Quote:They think of that day in April 1836, when a rag-tag group of 800 Texas Militia led by General Sam Houston surprised and attacked the much larger Mexican Army of a couple of thousand troops along the banks of the San Jacinto River and ROUTED them, with the cries of “Remember the Alamo!” and “Remember Goliad!”  They captured General Santa Anna.  They forced the Mexican Army to surrender, they won freedom and independence for all Texans, and they won the hearts and loyalty from all Texans in return.  Forever.  

Quote:These men of character and grit will forever be known as Texans.  They earned that title.  Those of us who follow in their boot steps and are blessed by the Grace of God to be Texan, try to emulate our forefathers, and try to bring honor, strength, and character to our beloved State and thus earn our own title of “Texan.”
Yes, that's what I was taught too.  So sad that nowadays they are teaching our children that the U.S. isn't great, never was great, and does not deserve our respect to the flag.
I am deeply patriotic. No matter how many times I hear that song by Lee Greenwood at the Trump rallies, I still get a tear in my eye.

President Trump said he was going to see to it that the Liberal programs they are using now to indoctrinate our children are removed and we get back to teaching pride for our country. Who wants to fight and protect anything they aren't proud of?
I didn't pay much attention in school and it shows. I got good grades and all, but I was more interested in girls and partying. Funny thing is, when I got to college, my calculus professor said I was brilliant in calculus, but my algebra sucked. 

I never cared that much about history in school back then in  grade school because I had already read all about it before because my dad had all kinds of books.  and magazines I read. I learned stuff at home before it was taught to me in school. 

I think it is the parents responsibility to teach their children a real education. I think it worked for my son who is getting into the airforce and doing an ROTC program and the university of Alabama for aeronautical engineering.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere