Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Charlie
I have a man that became my friend in an unexpected way. I was talking about how my front yard had become a field because my riding lawn mower was unrepairable and I could not afford to buy a new one. All the landscapers I called wanted a ridiculous price because I live in such a remote area, that they could do six jobs in the time it would take them to drive to my place and back.

Charlie overheard me speaking of my dilemma and offered to help. I told him I would appreciate his help  but warned him it was worse than I had described. He asked where I lived, I told him, and he said he didn't live that far from me.

Imagine my surprise when the next day this flat bed showed up hauling a riding lawn mower, and Charlie at the wheel of the truck. Charlie said he had an appointment with a customer that was postponed, he suddenly had a free morning, so he was motivated to come cut my grass. My grass was three acres of waist high grass. I was surprised, feeling grateful and truly blessed. Charlie did a beautiful job and refused to take a dime. He would not even take the money for gas. That started a long and warm friendship. 

That is just the back story.  I saw Charlie today at church. I see him every Sunday at church, and I see him every Tuesday via Zoom at Bible study. So seeing him today was not a surprise, but seeing Charlie this morning was as if we had not seen each other for months.

Even wearing a mask his smile was radiant, and his eyes sparkled. You could see the genuine joy he felt just from seeing me. Why am I writing this post? Because it was not just me.

I over heard a lady say, "I don't know why, I can't explain it, but I so love Charlie." My neighbor came up to me and said, "I just saw Charlie, he makes me feel so much better just seeing him, and I love him so much".

I laughed and told her what I had overheard, she said "Charlie is a bit rough around the edges,  but his love for his fellow man is pure and genuine".

That pretty much explains it. He is a tall, big, tough, rugged, carpenter. He will tell you he is as far from perfect as they come, but he oozes love, friendship,  humor, and generosity. 

Charlie is walking joy. He is contagious and everyone that meets him loves him. He truly has the gift for making those he meets feel loved. I think most of us either know or has known a Charlie. In our present world and society,  it is a beautiful sign of hope that we still have Charlies. 

I try to add a smile to the face of all that I meet. I try to make each encounter a pleasant one. I don't always pass on the feeling of joy and love, as well as Charlie, but I try. We need more of us trying to be like Charlie. 

Just me thinking out loud.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Everybody needs a Charlie in their life!
Sad that their numbers are quickly dwindling these days.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(09-20-2020, 06:22 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Everybody needs a Charlie in their life!
Sad that their numbers are quickly dwindling these days.

I agree. Maybe if we each tried being a Charlie in someone's life, we would be off to a good start to increasing those numbers.

• minusculebeercheers 

That is one of the nicest things I've read in a while!!

Good people still exist! Thanks for sharing!
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
Reminds me of how the people were in the community where I grew up. Lots of good people willing to help others whenever needed free of charge. Most of those people have died or moved away now. I don't know if any Charlies still exist there, but I'd say there are still a few.
Life is different where I live now. I know my immediate neighbors, but that's it. I don't think any of them would offer to help me if I needed it.

Good story.   minusculeclap
I believe there are angels on earth. Charlie is definitely one of them. As others have said, we need more Charlies in the world. I know someone like this. I feel honored to call them my friend. They are inspiring, and make everyone around them better people.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(09-21-2020, 12:14 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I believe there are angels on earth. Charlie is definitely one of them. As others have said, we need more Charlies in the world. I know someone like this. I feel honored to call them my friend. They are inspiring, and make everyone around them better people.

Charlie and I have become very good friends over the years. I have learned so much from him.

He says his strength comes from learning from his mistakes. Charlie never sees a broken person, he sees a person that hasn't learned that mistakes are stepping stones that will carry you through a cavernous path, if you learn to avoid the quicksand and how to walk around the pot holes. 

He is a very generous man and a dutiful son. He can find the silver lining in any problem and can help you smile through the pain.

He has a crazy sense of humor, a little like @Beez. But no matter how bad something may seem to be, you will find yourself laughing.

• minusculebeercheers 

We need more Charlies in the world.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(09-21-2020, 03:29 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: We need more Charlies in the world.

More of us need to be Charlies in this world. 

It does not take being perfect or even trying to be. It takes accepting your flaws, not judging others for theirs, and trying to make things better, one step at a time. 

Thinking out loud.

• minusculebeercheers