Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A simple language intro
I am always amazed at the languages of the world. Some are definitely better than others as some leave the imagination to fill in the blanks of a sentence.

Some languages do not promote the mouth forming certain words as the tongue is just not used to making a particular sound. Pbl like in the word Pbla (fish) or Nghon (work) couple with 5 different tones can make for some misunderstanding.

I still think Mandarin Chinese  is one of the harder languages while Cantonese seems to be easier on my ears and tongue ??

The Thai language 45 years ago was better IMO as I can remember the King going on T.V. and speaking proper Thai to the point of most people away from Bangkok could only understand maybe 60% of what he was saying. It was a softer gentler language back then IMO but it is what it is.

For a small country it is amazing the variations in accents and even words used for the same thing.. Kinda like England only magnified. Al-loy (good tasting) or Sap sap (Isaan for good tasting) are interchangeable once you get away Bangkok. Sap sap is from the language of Laos .

Anyway nothing earth shattering as it is raining today so no golf for me..... for the last few days I have been thinking about languages; how different cultures make each other understood in spite of the things that are said that just are accepted and do not necessarily make any sense out of context.

I can understand some words from other countries just because the sound similar or I just figure it out. Same with sign language. I have always been interested in the origins of language and writing. I have always wondered at some of the vast differences. I know, due to isolation for many thousands of years. It would help to have a simple common language in our global society.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(09-19-2020, 04:18 AM)727Sky Wrote: I am always amazed at the languages of the world. Some are definitely better than others as some leave the imagination to fill in the blanks of a sentence.

Some languages do not promote the mouth forming certain words as the tongue is just not used to making a particular sound. Pbl like in the word Pbla (fish) or Nghon (work) couple with 5 different tones can make for some misunderstanding.

I still think Mandarin Chinese  is one of the harder languages while Cantonese seems to be easier on my ears and tongue ??

The Thai language 45 years ago was better IMO as I can remember the King going on T.V. and speaking proper Thai to the point of most people away from Bangkok could only understand maybe 60% of what he was saying. It was a softer gentler language back then IMO but it is what it is.

For a small country it is amazing the variations in accents and even words used for the same thing.. Kinda like England only magnified. Al-loy (good tasting) or Sap sap (Isaan for good tasting) are interchangeable once you get away Bangkok. Sap sap is from the language of Laos .

Anyway nothing earth shattering as it is raining today so no golf for me..... for the last few days I have been thinking about languages; how different cultures make each other understood in spite of the things that are said that just are accepted and do not necessarily make any sense out of context.

i thought this was going to be about ebonics seeing how one of the world largest teachers a organizations signed a letter a few months back demanding that it be taught in schools in the U.S. over english.

dese ho's be stright up trippin. hoodrat's don't need no learnin on ebvonics. hell bra, we'z born talkin dat shit.i needs me nother 40.

Quote:We DEMAND that:
  1. teachers stop using academic language and standard English as the accepted communicative norm, which reflects White Mainstream English!
  2. teachers stop teaching Black students to code-switch! Instead, we must teach Black students about anti-Black linguistic racism and white linguistic supremacy!
This Ain’t Another Statement! This is a DEMAND for Black Linguistic Justice!
(09-19-2020, 04:27 AM)kdog Wrote: I can understand some words from other countries just because the sound similar or I just figure it out. Same with sign language. I have always been interested in the origins of language and writing. I have always wondered at some of the vast differences. I know, due to isolation for many thousands of years. It would help to have a simple common language in our global society.

Soros speaks the synthetic language Esperanto, and promotes it as the One World Language... 

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’