Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Social Dilemma of social media
(09-15-2020, 02:05 PM)727Sky Wrote:

We watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix over the weekend. It confirmed what we already knew- that we are being programmed for profit and political gain. The sad thing is that even after people watch the full documentary they STILL wont understand what is happening to them and will go right back to business as usual!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(09-15-2020, 05:36 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote:

We watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix over the weekend. It confirmed what we already knew- that we are being programmed for profit and political gain. The sad thing is that even after people watch the full documentary they STILL wont understand what is happening to them and will go right back to business as usual!

Information we have been aware of for years, yet we keep walking the path, with no real attempt to detour. 

It shows you just how powerful a weapon it is.

Maybe the Luddites were right, or at least walking a safer path.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Very interesting movie. It is sad because I believe so much of it to be true. 

It is also sad that if true, it will fall on deaf ears. As with any addiction, it won't stop until we reach rock bottom, or someone else pulls the plug.

• minusculebeercheers 

We watched it, made me want to unplug from the world!

tinyok
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
I saw it also. I have been on the internet since 1994. I'm aware of it and change settings all the time. 

I look at fact's first, but value opinions and ideas . I like to speculate and question the science and facts. 

Some people like to throw facts in your face to prove you wrong, but don't speculate on my questions of what if. 

But throwing ads at me, throwing people in front of me to change or back up my claims, I am always suspicious of that. 

So basically, I use social media for the games and and keeping in contact with my family. 

Sorry if this sounds crazy, but getting a buzz right now. 

minusculebeercheers
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
The Die is cast.
internet Agent Provocateur
(09-16-2020, 02:32 AM)kdog Wrote: I saw it also. I have been on the internet since 1994. I'm aware of it and change settings all the time. 

I look at fact's first, but value opinions and ideas . I like to speculate and question the science and facts. 

Some people like to throw facts in your face to prove you wrong, but don't speculate on my questions of what if. 

But throwing ads at me, throwing people in front of me to change or back up my claims, I am always suspicious of that. 

So basically, I use social media for the games and and keeping in contact with my family. 

minusculebeercheers

This disappeared. I posted again, then they both showed up.  My phone us acting weird again.

• minusculebeercheers 

(09-16-2020, 02:32 AM)kdog Wrote: I saw it also. I have been on the internet since 1994. I'm aware of it and change settings all the time. 

minusculebeercheers

Too often what is passed around the internet as fact, is just beliefs and opinions dressed up, or accepted as fact because the person presenting it, is a celebrity or an influencer.

I, like you, become extremely cautious and suspicious, when pressure is exerted in an attempt to sell me or sway me.

One thing the internet has taught me, is that facts on the internet is like a can of tuna. One can of tuna will feed one, but make tuna salad and one can can feed a multitude.

I dislike the news for this very reason. All I want is the facts. I don't want opinions, conjecture, or commentary. A simple can of tuna is all I want. They can keep the mayo, pickles, onions, salt, pepper, or anything else they throw in.

• minusculebeercheers 

(09-16-2020, 03:45 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

minusculebeercheers

Too often what is passed around the internet as fact, is just beliefs and opinions dressed up, or accepted as fact because the person presenting it, is a celebrity or an influencer.

I, like you, become extremely cautious and suspicious, when pressure is exerted in an attempt to sell me or sway me.

One thing the internet has taught me, is that facts on the internet is like a can of tuna. One can of tuna will feed one, but make tuna salad and one can can feed a multitude.

I dislike the news for this very reason. All I want is the facts. I don't want opinions, conjecture, or commentary. A simple can of tuna is all I want. They can keep the mayo, pickles, onions, salt, pepper, or anything else they throw in.

My old man routine is to cruise through multiple sources every day. I think at least 10 that I can think of. I try to find the truth in the middle of it all. And sometimes I am wrong.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(09-16-2020, 03:11 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: The Die is cast.

Yes but we dont have to use it.
Childhood 2.0 is another video that sheds light on how the internet is changing our society.

This video may be too long for some.  It is 1 1/2 hours long, but I found it informative and interesting.

The section where they interviewed the teens is very close, or the same, as what I get when I interview teen patients.

• minusculebeercheers