Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's Been 20 Years, Do You Still Watch And Remember?
It's has been 20 years since 911, Do you still watch the shows about the attack on this day and remember those who died?
i do, i feel we owe it to them to remember. believe what you will about who and why it was done, but for those innocent people and first responders who lost their lives in the first attack of the war that is still going on 20 years later deserve to be remembered.

the thing that affects me the most, is the people that jumped or fell. i still have have tears well up every time. there is one video where a guy is filming it, and he see people hanging out the window and he starts talking about one waving a flag. you can hear it in his voice how it's effects him then the guy with the flag falls.

then there's one where they show firefighters and cops in the lobby and then you hear a bunch of loud bangs, all of them walk towards where they think the bangs are coming from, then on the radio they say we got jumpers. the looks on their face can't be described.

again, i'm not going to rehash what i think the who or why, but i will say this. yes there were terrorist on the planes who were in control. but it wasn't their deal. take that as you will.
(09-12-2020, 12:03 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: It's has been 20 years since 911, Do you still watch the shows about the attack on this day and remember those who died?
i do, i feel we owe it to them to remember. believe what you will about who and why it was done, but for those innocent people and first responders who lost their lives in the first attack of the war that is still going on 20 years later deserve to be remembered.

the thing that affects me the most, is the people that jumped or fell. i still have have tears well up every time. there is one video where a guy is filming it, and he see people hanging out the window and he starts talking about one waving a flag. you can hear it in his voice how it's effects him then the guy with the flag falls.

then there's one where they show firefighters and cops in the lobby and then you hear a bunch of loud bangs, all of them walk towards where they think the bangs are coming from, then on the radio they say we got jumpers. the looks on their face can't be described.

again, i'm not going to rehash what i think the who or why, but i will say this. yes there were terrorist on the planes who were in control. but it wasn't their deal. take that as you will.

I can't watch it.  But I will never forget or stop mourning for those who died.
(09-12-2020, 12:20 AM)drussell41 Wrote: I can't watch it.  But I will never forget or stop mourning for those who died.

i can understand that, there are many who can't. so long as you remember is what matters.
Correction, it's been 19 years; 2001.

Yes, I always take pause on this day. I saw the film of the people jumping. It's so very disturbing; those poor people.   tinycrying 

I always put a post on FB in remembrance of this day. May we never forget. 

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Faviewfromtheright.com%2F...f=1&nofb=1]
(09-12-2020, 12:29 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Correction, it's been 19 years; 2001.

Yes, I always take pause on this day. I saw the film of the people jumping. It's so very disturbing; those poor people.   tinycrying 

I always put a post on FB in remembrance of this day. May we never forget. 

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Faviewfromtheright.com%2F...f=1&nofb=1]

yes it is very disturbing and heart breaking. another one that make me well up, is the guy that was in the north tower talking about how he made it out and someone who jumped or fell landed just feet from him. he broke down crying and said he sees that everyday.

keep on posting that remembrance.
(09-12-2020, 12:29 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Correction, it's been 19 years; 2001.
thanks i fixed again, i've been having early life senior moments all day. when i first posted the thread i wrote 17 years, then went back and posted 20.
i'll be 58 sunday.
I remember that day like it was yesterday. So many have forgotten it seems. I was a drilling reservist with the Navy Reserves back then, a low ranking E5. I was working at my civilian job as I call it. Started off like any ordinary day. Beautiful weather, and I was sitting at my desk listening to the radio. Music was interrupted for a special bulletin that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I remember hearing that and thought how awful that sounded. I was picturing a little Cessna or something. They said firemen were heading to where the plane crashed, and I got a shiver. I was kind of half listening to the radio, and half working. My hubby, who had the day off from his job, called me from home shortly after and asked if I heard about the plane crashing into one of the towers. I told him yeah, and how awful. Within a couple minutes into the phone conversation, my hubby shouted, swore, and dropped the phone on the floor. I heard the phone thud, and I was like “what’s going on, are you all right?”. He told me a second plane, a large passenger jet, crashed into the other tower. It felt like my heart froze into my chest. I knew then that we were under attack. 

The rest of the day was kind of a blur. Nobody in our office got any work done the rest of the day. One of the departments where I worked had a satellite TV, and it just kept showing the South tower crashing to the ground over and over, like an instant replay. I almost threw up. I was just in shock, was crying, angry, and wanted to punch someone. I recall attempting to call my reserve center to see if they needed any assistance. I wasn’t able to get through. Later that night, my unit commanding officer called me. They were doing a phone muster to account for everyone at the reserve center. He sounded so tired, and I remember hearing his baby screaming in the background. Just a horrific day. It changed things forever for many. 

Never Forget!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
I remember very well that day, but I don't watch anything anymore because it is still painful. I still remember my fear. 

I was working in a high rise downtown Louisville refurbishing an elevator. I came down , as usual for a smoke break around 9 or 9:30 am. The security guard asked me if I had heard about a plane hitting a building in NYC. I said, no, I was working by myself on an empty upper floor. 

I walked a block down to a bank that had a big TV displayed in the window. That is when I saw the second plane hit. I called my wife and told her I was going to pick up our 2 year old daughter from daycare and heading home. I stayed glued to the TV. 

10 days later, my son was born. 

It was the day the planes stop flying. I erected a pole in the front yard and flew the American flag. 

My world changed that day. 

I still get choked up, even now as I type this.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(09-12-2020, 01:12 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I remember that day like it was yesterday. So many have forgotten it seems. I was a drilling reservist with the Navy Reserves back then, a low ranking E5. I was working at my civilian job as I call it. Started off like any ordinary day. Beautiful weather, and I was sitting at my desk listening to the radio. Music was interrupted for a special bulletin that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I remember hearing that and thought how awful that sounded. I was picturing a little Cessna or something. They said firemen were heading to where the plane crashed, and I got a shiver. I was kind of half listening to the radio, and half working. My hubby, who had the day off from his job, called me from home shortly after and asked if I heard about the plane crashing into one of the towers. I told him yeah, and how awful. Within a couple minutes into the phone conversation, my hubby shouted, swore, and dropped the phone on the floor. I heard the phone thud, and I was like “what’s going on, are you all right?”. He told me a second plane, a large passenger jet, crashed into the other tower. It felt like my heart froze into my chest. I knew then that we were under attack. 

The rest of the day was kind of a blur. Nobody in our office got any work done the rest of the day. One of the departments where I worked had a satellite TV, and it just kept showing the South tower crashing to the ground over and over, like an instant replay. I almost threw up. I was just in shock, was crying, angry, and wanted to punch someone. I recall attempting to call my reserve center to see if they needed any assistance. I wasn’t able to get through. Later that night, my unit commanding officer called me. They were doing a phone muster to account for everyone at the reserve center. He sounded so tired, and I remember hearing his baby screaming in the background. Just a horrific day. It changed things forever for many. 

Never Forget!

i was in the my old shop, talking with a customer when one guys of the from the business next door came over and told us that the first plane had hit. when i got done with helping my customer we walked over to their shop and watched the TV there and spent most of the day there. when we saw the second hit we all said at the same time it was a attack.

got home and called a couple of buddies that were still in the Corps and asked if they had been given any orders, they said they just were told to standby for deployment.
both went to afghanistan and iraq  both made it home alive and are now fat and happy at least that's what they say.
(09-12-2020, 01:32 AM)kdog Wrote: I remember very well that day, but I don't watch anything anymore because it is still painful. I still remember my fear. 

I was working in a high rise downtown Louisville refurbishing an elevator. I came down , as usual for a smoke break around 9 or 9:30 am. The security guard asked me if I had heard about a plane hitting a building in NYC. I said, no, I was working by myself on an empty upper floor. 

I walked a block down to a bank that had a big TV displayed in the window. That is when I saw the second plane hit. I called my wife and told her I was going to pick up our 2 year old daughter from daycare and heading home. I stayed glued to the TV. 

10 days later, my son was born. 

It was the day the planes stop flying. I erected a pole in the front yard and flew the American flag. 

I still get choked up, even now as I type this.

Quite a time for you. I’m getting choked up reading your post. That day was our generation’s Pearl Harbor.
(09-12-2020, 01:52 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 01:12 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I remember that day like it was yesterday. So many have forgotten it seems. I was a drilling reservist with the Navy Reserves back then, a low ranking E5. I was working at my civilian job as I call it. Started off like any ordinary day. Beautiful weather, and I was sitting at my desk listening to the radio. Music was interrupted for a special bulletin that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I remember hearing that and thought how awful that sounded. I was picturing a little Cessna or something. They said firemen were heading to where the plane crashed, and I got a shiver. I was kind of half listening to the radio, and half working. My hubby, who had the day off from his job, called me from home shortly after and asked if I heard about the plane crashing into one of the towers. I told him yeah, and how awful. Within a couple minutes into the phone conversation, my hubby shouted, swore, and dropped the phone on the floor. I heard the phone thud, and I was like “what’s going on, are you all right?”. He told me a second plane, a large passenger jet, crashed into the other tower. It felt like my heart froze into my chest. I knew then that we were under attack. 

Never Forget!

i was in the my old shop, talking with a customer when one guys of the from the business next door came over and told us that the first plane had hit. when i got done with helping my customer we walked over to their shop and watched the TV there and spent most of the day there. when we saw the second hit we all said at the same time it was a attack.

got home and called a couple of buddies in that were still in the Corps and asked if they had been given any orders, they said they just were told to standby for deployment.
both went to afghanistan and iraq  both made it home alive and are now fat and happy at least that what they say.

A couple of days after that, I actually packed a go bag with stuff, uniforms and that in case I suddenly got deployed. I had all this paperwork stashed in there too. I created a checklist that I gave to my hubby with instructions for him what to do if I was suddenly deployed. And I waited. Didn’t get any orders until October 2006 for Afghanistan. I had some medical problems that came to a head right around then and my orders were cancelled. I went inactive in the reserves and retired for good in 2008.
(09-12-2020, 01:32 AM)kdog Wrote: It was the day the planes stop flying. I erected a pole in the front yard and flew the American flag. 

my dad put a pole up and started flying one also. never expressed any interest in flying a flag before then.

Quote:I still get choked up, even now as I type this.

i think many still do my friend.
I had just gotten out in August of 2001.  Looking to start a new civilian job.  Finish my Masters.  Spend time at home with the bride and the child, second child wasn't made yet, and enjoy life, drink beer, go fishing.

9/11,  my old squadron first shirt called me at home.

Shit was never the same.

tinyok
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(09-12-2020, 02:07 AM)beez Wrote: I had just gotten out in August of 2001.  Looking to start a new civilian job.  Finish my Masters.  Spend time at home with the bride and the child, second child wasn't made yet, and enjoy life, drink beer, go fishing.

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

We were stationed in Korea.  First tour as a sillyvilian.  Wife called me over to the TV and said a plane had hit the WTC.  I got there in time to see the 2d plane hit.  I pulled out my cell and called the J2 Watch and told 'em, "Wake the CINC.  He's gonna want to see this right now."

The next morning I can tell getting on post is going to be a challenge.  I drove around to the easiest gate you could get on post with.  There were two cars in front of me and it still took 4 1/2 hours to get past the barriers.  I never did figure out where they got those tanks from.  We went from business as usual to a war footing before the sun had come up.  I was never prouder of what our military stood for.

This video tribute really caught me off guard:
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(09-12-2020, 02:18 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 02:07 AM)beez Wrote: I had just gotten out in August of 2001.  Looking to start a new civilian job.  Finish my Masters.  Spend time at home with the bride and the child, second child wasn't made yet, and enjoy life, drink beer, go fishing.

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

We were stationed in Korea.  First tour as a sillyvilian.  Wife called me over to the TV and said a plane had hit the WTC.  I got there in time to see the 2d plane hit.  I pulled out my cell and called the J2 Watch and told 'em, "Wake the CINC.  He's gonna want to see this right now."

The next morning I can tell getting on post is going to be a challenge.  I drove around to the easiest gate you could get on post with.  There were two cars in front of me and it still took 4 1/2 hours to get past the barriers.  I never did figure out where they got those tanks from.  We went from business as usual to a war footing before the sun had come up.  I was never prouder of what our military stood for.

Ooo-rah.

We do what we do because we can.
-Abraham Lincoln

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

i thought about and wanted to reenlist and intended to look into it, but my first better half said she'd leave me if i did. i should have reenlisted, we only made it a couple of more years.
(09-12-2020, 02:28 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

i thought about and wanted to reenlist and intended to look into it, but my first better half said she'd leave me if i did. i should have reenlisted, we only made it a couple of more years.

I finally got out in 2013.
-Abraham Lincoln
(09-12-2020, 02:30 AM)beez Wrote:

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

how many tours did you do, or did you train others?
(09-12-2020, 02:32 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 02:30 AM)beez Wrote:

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

how many tours did you do, or did you train others?

I was at a USAMMA dept at Hill AFB, then Germany, Landstuhl/Permisans,   I spent more years TDY than I did at home.  USAMMA farmed us all out to any medical unit that needed equipment (vents, anesthesia units, etc) repaired or checked.

Germany was where we coordinated in Kabul and worked all the FOL's and FOB's.

I got my hands dirty.  Was OIC in charge of a unit in Germany but still turned a wrench and drove a forklift to load/unload triwalls when needed.
-Abraham Lincoln
(09-12-2020, 02:18 AM)Snarl Wrote:

Shit was never the same.

tinyok

reminded me of what my buddies told me. they said that security was tighter than anything they had ever seen. and you remember what kind of security we had on the last duty station i posted about don't you. now that's pretty tight.