Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NerfGunGate
A 12 year old boy was suspended from school in Colorado when the online teacher called the cops on him for playing with his Nerf gun during online class.

Really?   tinysurprised

Quote:A Colorado Springs school sent police to the home of a 12-year-old because he was seen playing with a toy gun during an online class.

Danielle Elliott, whose son, Isaiah, pointed the toy gun at a computer screen and pulled the trigger during his virtual art class, said she received a call on Aug. 27 from the school saying that a police officer was on the way to her home.

“I never thought: ‘You can’t play with a Nerf gun in your own home because somebody may perceive it as a threat and call the police on you,’” Elliott said.

The incident happened on the third day of distance learning at Grand Mountain School. Elliott said her son’s art teacher emailed her, saying she had notified the vice principal that her son was distracted and playing with a gun. The teacher said she believed the gun was fake.

The gun Isaiah showed was black and green with the words “Zombie Hunter” on the side.

The kid was hunting zombies!  Get over it!

Quote:According to The Washington Post, Elliott responded to the teacher telling her it was a toy gun and that she would talk to her son about the incident when she got home from work.

Isaiah, Elliott told Fox News, has attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and is easily distracted.

Elliott said she did not know if the school realized her son’s life could have been put in danger by their reaction.
“With the cultural events going on right now, especially for young African Americans, you calling the police and telling them that he could have a gun, you put his life in jeopardy,” she told the school.

The school posted a comment on its Facebook page, addressing the issue.
“We never have or ever will condone any form of racism or discrimination,” the statement said. “Safety will always be number one for our students and staff. We follow board policies and safety protocols consistently, whether we are in-person or distance learning.”

Commenters blasted the school’s response, most asking why the school was recording students in their homes without parents’ knowledge or permission.

According to a police report obtained by television station KOAA, a school resource officer reviewed the recording made of the class. It showed Isaiah and another boy pointing the toy gun at the computer screen.

The Elliotts have removed their son from the school, according to the Post, and placed him on a list for a spot in a charter school.
Source

I can see where some people might think this could lead to violence as he grows up.
On the other hand, what happened to kids being kids?

Did any of you guys ever play with toy guns as a child?  Did it make you grow up wanting to shoot people?

What are your thoughts on this story?
Wow...where does a righteous SJW go with this one?

The kid had a gun!!! He must be a Nazi. Whoa...wait a minute he was African American? But...but...he had a gun...but..he is an oppressed individual...but...nerf gun!

An art teacher in Colorado is hard to out-woke too. 

Maybe just let the kid be a kid and teach him some art?
(09-09-2020, 09:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Did any of you guys ever play with toy guns as a child?  Did it make you grow up wanting to shoot people?

What are your thoughts on this story?

Play with toy guns as a child? well, yeah, but not without a struggle. All the other boys were outside playing war. My mom was and is a true pacifist, and refused to buy a toy gun for me. So i chewed a slice of bread into gun shape and ran around with that, outside with friends. Quite soon i had a plastic ak-47 and a plastic Beretta also. tinycool 

I have never, ever wanted to actually shoot a real person. But i would love to go to a range with an assault rifle right now and give some cardboard targets a REALLY hard time. I miss that from my army days.

My thoughts on this story? I facepalmed so hard that all my thoughts flew away from my ears, sorry. tinybigeyes
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
Quote:Did any of you guys ever play with toy guns as a child?

Are you kidding?  We refought World War II so many times, I lost count. tinybiggrin 

Toy guns, BB guns . . . those were very common toys.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(09-09-2020, 09:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Did any of you guys ever play with toy guns as a child?  Did it make you grow up wanting to shoot people?

As a guy who is guilty of both, I assure you ... there is no correlation.

Playing with guns makes you good with guns ... and then you can be a professional gun shooter.  It feels good to win.

Shooting people is in a whole other league.  Shooting people who are shooting at you ... takes shooting people to another level.  The end of the day never feels good ... and only the winners are left to feel that feeling.

(09-09-2020, 09:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: What are your thoughts on this story?

One should consider keeping their kids away from ALL academic institutions.  Certainly keep your kids away from college/university.

Rooting for the mass shooters these days!!   minusculechairshot  /sarc
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(09-10-2020, 04:33 PM)Snarl Wrote:

As a guy who is guilty of both, I assure you ... there is no correlation.

Playing with guns makes you good with guns ... and then you can be a professional gun shooter.  It feels good to win.

Shooting people is in a whole other league.  Shooting people who are shooting at you ... takes shooting people to another level.  The end of the day never feels good ... and only the winners are left to feel that feeling.

(09-09-2020, 09:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: What are your thoughts on this story?

One should consider keeping their kids away from ALL academic institutions.  Certainly keep your kids away from college/university.

Rooting for the mass shooters these days!!   minusculechairshot  /sarc

Hear, hear!   minusculebeercheers
Back when I was at Primary School, aged about 10, I took a selection of toy guns into School for my school friends to play with!
One of the boys played with the one he had in class, so all of the guns got confiscated (just to cut out the distractions) and were placed in a bucket/basket thing beside the teachers desk.

At the end of the School day, I forgot to pick them up... and in the morning they were gone.
Turned out, the cleaner had thought that they were "in the trash" to be disposed of, so my entire prized collection of toy guns was gone...

So, guess what the School did?

They BOUGHT ME A BRAND NEW TOY GUN!
Yes, The School bought me a gun.

True story that.
Oh how times have changed!!! LOL

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(09-10-2020, 05:03 PM)gordi Wrote: Back when I was at Primary School, aged about 10, I took a selection of toy guns into School for my school friends to play with!
One of the boys played with the one he had in class, so all of the guns got confiscated (just to cut out the distractions) and were placed in a bucket/basket thing beside the teachers desk.

At the end of the School day, I forgot to pick them up... and in the morning they were gone.
Turned out, the cleaner had thought that they were "in the trash" to be disposed of, so my entire prized collection of toy guns was gone...

So, guess what the School did?

They BOUGHT ME A BRAND NEW TOY GUN!
Yes, The School bought me a gun.

True story that.
Oh how times have changed!!! LOL

G

They certainly have changed, and for the worst!