Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cover Tunes
just posted in a few in mood music and thought about cover tunes, again.
so post your favorites, i just ask that they be as good or better thatnthe originals and the original first.

here are my first three, or four.

i gotta say the cover done on this is the best done i've seen well there's one more.

i read once that Roy Orbison said that Linda Ronstadst owned this song after she did her cover.

and another one of her covers. believe it or not the Ronstadst's cover that i'm gonna post is not as  good as  the Eagles, so i guess i broke a rule i made. anyway.
the band was hand picked to by her to be her back up band 50 years ago, that's how they got their start.

if you look you'll see Van Zandt in this one.

one more and i'll quit, i've posted them in Mood Music before, but i like both versions and it's my thread. tinybiggrin

these next two songs are kinda hard to believe that they were done better than the Boss's.
one is not really a cover it was a give me from him to her. she wrote most of the lyrics, so i'll do hers first because hers came out first.

this one most people don't know that he wrote and recorded it.

It was great to hear some of those again.   That Brooks and Dunn "My Maria" is really excellent.

Ronstat certainly owned many of the songs she did. :)
(09-09-2020, 07:13 AM)drussell41 Wrote: It was great to hear some of those again.   That Brooks and Dunn "My Maria" is really excellent.

Ronstat certainly owned many of the songs she did.  :)

i'm glad you enjoyed them.  i've got a few more in mind, gonna wait and give others a chance first. when it comes to music i can kinda get carried away posting them.

yes, Linda Ronstadt certainly did take ownership of most of the songs she covered, she had a great voice and was a very beautiful woman. it is a shame that  Parkinson's took that away from her 20 years ago. has to be horrible not to be able to do something you loved and people enjoyed hearing.

Quote:"I can sing in my brain; I sing in my brain all the time," she said, "but it's not quite the same as doing it physically. You know, there's a physical feeling in singing that's just like skiing down a hill, except better, 'cause I'm not a very good skier!"

Linda Ronstadt can no longer sing due to Parkinson's disease
A GREAT original song (written by Burt Bacharach) performed by Dionne Warwick, then covered by many!
BUT my favourite by a country mile is.... The Stranglers version. OMG did they put their own stamp on it!

That pounding bass... the soaring keys.... the solo!!!!
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
There are plenty of these, where the cover song washes the floor with the original version.

"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
Some bite-sized covers here. If i link all the originals this post would be a mile long. Those who know, know. This time i am not making a claim of these being better than the original, but i think this is true talent and an ultimate display of versatility! tinycool 

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(09-09-2020, 07:43 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: yes, Linda Ronstadt certainly did take ownership of most of the songs she covered, she had a great voice and was a very beautiful woman. it is a shame that  Parkinson's took that away from her 20 years ago. has to be horrible not to be able to do something you loved and people enjoyed hearing.

Quote:"I can sing in my brain; I sing in my brain all the time," she said, "but it's not quite the same as doing it physically. You know, there's a physical feeling in singing that's just like skiing down a hill, except better, 'cause I'm not a very good skier!"

Linda Ronstadt can no longer sing due to Parkinson's disease

That is really sad.   I had no idea that's what happened to her.  :(

Here are some from me. Uh, I don't know what a "cover" is regarding music. These are just some comparisons. 

Take Me Home, Country Roads.   John Denver vs. Spank.   Denver sounds tinny to me in comparison to Spank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43VWzCErLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJVaJyTMx8

Next up:   Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash vs. Spank.    I like Cash an awful lot, but Spank does some nice twists vocally at a couple of points in this.    Husband says Cash is easily the winner.   You get to vote, if you want.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUpOwHpOi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvL8TTGzUDU

Yeah, I live in Fallout76. ;)
(09-09-2020, 11:39 AM)drussell41 Wrote: Uh, I don't know what a "cover" is regarding music.  
lol, covers are what they call songs that other artist remake. like he covered that song.
i don't know who or why they decided to call them that.
(09-09-2020, 01:31 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 11:39 AM)drussell41 Wrote: Uh, I don't know what a "cover" is regarding music.  
lol, covers are what they call songs that other artist remake. like he covered that song.
i don't know who or why they decided to call them that.

Thanks.
How's about Don Henley's BOYS OF SUMMER Vs The ATARIS version?

I loved the original, but I think it sounds a bit lame next to The ATARIS...

G
(09-09-2020, 01:56 PM)gordi Wrote: How's about Don Henley's BOYS OF SUMMER Vs The ATARIS version?

I loved the original, but I think it sounds a bit lame next to The ATARIS...

G

theirs is fairly good, only thing is that guy singing in what i call the bubble gum voice or maybe atuotuned. i hate that. they all sound the same when they sing.
there were some songs that i think from the late 90's on that might have been decent or even damn good if it wasn't for bubble gum sound or autotune.
 this guy to listen to the structure of his voice and the way he carries it, sounds to me like he could sing real well and shouldn't need autotune

when i hear some of it i always think of the progressive insurance commerical,

FLo:
we have Autotune right?

THAT"S A HIT!

i like most anything henley does, there maybe one or two that lack.
Wink 
here's three, one by the band that released it, one by the artist that wrote for them, and one for a tribute album that is so so, i just posted it because it was the first time they got back together after the break up for this video.

I like both versions but the genre switch is quite awesome tinycool 

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Official Music Video)

Losing My Religion (metal cover by Leo Moracchioli)

-Jean-Paul Sartre
A classic and..... a classic cover!

Not better, but just as good!
I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

this band has inspired quite a few covers,

so put your hands together for TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS

and for the cover give a big Rebel Yell for Billy Idol

another tommy james,

and Now for the lady with the Black Hearts, Joan Jet.

and a two fer form TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS, because i just like them.

Rest in peace, Bob   mediumcrying 

Rest in peace, Chris   mediumcrying

-Jean-Paul Sartre
lots of covers for this one, here's 2

and the best
(09-09-2020, 09:59 PM)Moonmagic Wrote:

i use to think that 5FDP were the cover kings, i was wrong Me First And The Gimme Gimmes have taken that title and Reign Supreme. 
i checked them out after your post, and my count they have like a 115 covers.  smallrofl smallrofl smallrofl