Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Dollar General Scaming People
i use the  Dollar General about a mile down the road as sorta super convince store. i go there when we need something and i don't want to go to a grocery store or department store.

most times i wind up spending 20 bucks or more. when i do i always use my debit card. i carry cash and always try to have at least 60 dollars in my wallet. but i don't spend it on purchases over 20 bucks, i use the debit card.

well about 2 months ago when the coin shortage started making the news, i noticed that this one had put up signs saying sorry we have no pennies. didn't seem to odd to me until today.

i stopped there to buy a soda for a short road trip i was making, cause all the other convince stores along the way were across the main  4 lane road drag and traffic on this rd on sunday can get pretty bad because it's a cut through that saves about 15 miles between two cities and counties.

as i was standing in line i got to thinking about the what the cost would be with tax and i didn't have any change. then i got to thinking about all the other convince stores on this road which there are about 8 chain stores, a small full line Piggly Wiggly grocery store about the size of dollar general, BP, Shell, Tom Thumb, Texaco and a couple of Mom and Pop stores that always have change even when there was a shortage alert.

so i was standing there checked my pockets no change, so i decided to tell them that i didn't have any pennies, got to the register to check out and the 20oz coca cola came to 2.03, i told them i didn't have any pennies either. the cashier asked if i had any other change or another dollar, i told her i had no change and i wasn't going to give her another dollar so she could give me 95 cents back and take a nickle for a 3 cent balance. she freaked, started running back and forth from each cashier and then finally called the manger which is a woman i grew up with.

she said that i would have to give them a nickle or a dollar and get .95 cents back. i told her that i wasn't going to do that and if she didn't let me have it then my shadow would never darken their door again. she knew i came in quite often so she went ahead and let me have the soda for 2 bucks. when i got out to the truck looked in the ashtray and had some change so i took the 3 pennies in to her and went on my way.

on the way home as i passed the Dollar General i got to wondering if all the Dollar Generals were doing this. so i went past my turn for our rd and went to the other Dollar General about five miles away. went in and sure enough they had a sign up saying the same thing.

now i don't know if it's nation wide for all their stores or just this district stores, but if it's nation wide just imagine the money their conning people out of every day,week and month. i know just a few pennies for a person doesn't sound like much. but for the thousand of people they maybe taking it from, it could add up. they could get up to .04 cents a person with just pennies. then what if they say sorry we have no pennies, nickels, then add dimes and quarters. see what i'm saying.
I haven’t been to a dollar store in awhile. But I sometimes go to my favorite gas station/convenience store, and they have a sign asking for exact change if paying in cash because there is a coin shortage. In fact my grocery store, WalMart, Target, etc all have some variation on that sign. I seldom have cash on me and I don’t like carrying around a lot of change because my purse has everything but the damn kitchen sink, and it fucking weighs a ton! 

So I haven’t actually bought anything where I’ve paid cash since February, about six months now. How bizarre is that? These stores give people dirty looks when someone wants to pay cash and make them feel bad. I think that’s really messed up. And I agree with you that your dollar store is probably making quite a nice bit of money for the penny shortage scam. That shouldn’t even be legal.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(08-31-2020, 02:38 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I haven’t been to a dollar store in awhile. But I sometimes go to my favorite gas station/convenience store, and they have a sign asking for exact change if paying in cash because there is a coin shortage. In fact my grocery store, WalMart, Target, etc all have some variation on that sign. I seldom have cash on me and I don’t like carrying around a lot of change because my purse has everything but the damn kitchen sink, and it fucking weighs a ton! 

So I haven’t actually bought anything where I’ve paid cash since February, about six months now. How bizarre is that? These stores give people dirty looks when someone wants to pay cash and make them feel bad. I think that’s really messed up. And I agree with you that your dollar store is probably making quite a nice bit of money for the penny shortage scam. That shouldn’t even be legal.

i saw that when they first said there was a shortage, then in about a month they took them down. i buy gas and stuff form all of them and use cash sometimes for the smaller stuff and always get change including pennies. if it wasn't for that i wouldn't have thought anything about DG and their signs.

i thought about taking the one and a half watercooler jugs i got up there and changing all the change for cash. most of it is in pennies.
I've been in stores and was owed a penny or two and got rounded down, was also in a kwik trip the other day and my change back was 3 cents, I said to keep it(put it in the jar). She offered me a nickle. 

So I've seen it go up and down, which to me means sooner or later(for simplicity) most stores will just add a line of code to the POS system to round up or down. 

Otherwise, leaving it up to the judgement of customers and employees to balance this up and down out will just cause confusion with drawer counts, might as well add the line and I bet most people will never notice that their purchase price always ends in 5 or 0.
(08-31-2020, 02:51 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: I've been in stores and was owed a penny or two and got rounded down, was also in a kwik trip the other day and my change back was 3 cents, I said to keep it(put it in the jar). She offered me a nickle. 

So I've seen it go up and down, which to me means sooner or later(for simplicity) most stores will just add a line of code to the POS system to round up or down. 

Otherwise, leaving it up to the judgement of customers and employees to balance this up and down out will just cause confusion with drawer counts, might as well add the line and I bet most people will never notice that their purchase price always ends in 5 or 0.

if all i get back are pennies, and they have a got a penny leave a penny or need a penny take a penny i put in there or to tell them to keep it. but when i get back a bunch of change i take it all and put it in my pocket.

but like you said that's my choice.

and as far as adding the line i'm sure it will happen, just like before long it will be just cards or some other form of cashless payment. it's easier for big business and brother to track that way.

and the 5 or 0 i think they will, just like now the cost of items always seems to end in .95 or.99.
Similar event ... only this store only had nickels and dimes for change.  And the cashier wasn't gonna budge.  I walked away from 95¢ that might have otherwise cost someone a 50¢ piece of lead.

Now ... the cashier being 95¢ over, did she start giving other customers a break?

Bitch probably deserved one to the dome.  When it happens ... I ain't gonna sympathize.

Only the little guy carries cash anymore.  TPTB are taking it away from us.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-31-2020, 04:51 AM)Snarl Wrote: Similar event ... only this store only had nickels and dimes for change.  And the cashier wasn't gonna budge.  I walked away from 95¢ that might have otherwise cost someone a 50¢ piece of lead.

Now ... the cashier being 95¢ over, did she start giving other customers a break?

Bitch probably deserved one to the dome.  When it happens ... I ain't gonna sympathize.

Huh...what....

I use cash frequently, as I said in my post, this is the reason that they should just round up or down to 5 cents. Cashiers shouldn't(and aren't) able to keep track of giving a few pennies here vs taking a few pennies there.

As far as the shooting some minimum wage "bitch" for just trying to do a job, that's a bit much.
(08-31-2020, 05:11 AM)MisterSpock Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 04:51 AM)Snarl Wrote: Similar event ... only this store only had nickels and dimes for change.  And the cashier wasn't gonna budge.  I walked away from 95¢ that might have otherwise cost someone a 50¢ piece of lead.

Huh...what....

I use cash frequently, as I said in my post, this is the reason that they should just round up or down to 5 cents. Cashiers shouldn't(and aren't) able to keep track of giving a few pennies here vs taking a few pennies there.

As far as the shooting some minimum wage "bitch" for just trying to do a job, that's a bit much.

My bad.  Didn't feel like getting down to the details.

She was being a bitch (shitty fuckin' attitude with everyone).  I should'a just walked away and left my stuff on the counter.

That she couldn't make change was no fault of mine.  I don't see it as her fault either.  But, opportunity was knocking (my 95¢) and I wonder what she did with it.  I should'a turned to the guy behind me and said "Make sure you take 95¢ off your purchase.  It's on me."
You better run!
(08-31-2020, 05:25 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 05:11 AM)MisterSpock Wrote:

Huh...what....

My bad.  Didn't feel like getting down to the details.

She was being a bitch (shitty fuckin' attitude with everyone).  I should'a just walked away and left my stuff on the counter.

That she couldn't make change was no fault of mine.  I don't see it as her fault either.  But, opportunity was knocking (my 95¢) and I wonder what she did with it.  I should'a turned to the guy behind me and said "Make sure you take 95¢ off your purchase.  It's on me."

Well, that helps. 

Your seeming random desire to just shoot some clerk seemed a bit out of character from what I've gleamed of your demeanor.

I'd assume you'd at least give them the full can of bear mace before it led to lead.
(08-31-2020, 05:29 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: Your seeming random desire to just shoot some clerk seemed a bit out of character from what I've gleamed of your demeanor.

I'd assume you'd at least give them the full can of bear mace before it led to lead.

I don't agress people.  Not in my nature.

It was my random desire to hear a gunshot as I was departing the store.  LOL

I hear bear mace isn't as strong as [Image: Pike.jpg]
You better run!
(08-31-2020, 05:39 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 05:29 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: Your seeming random desire to just shoot some clerk seemed a bit out of character from what I've gleamed of your demeanor.

I don't agress people.  Not in my nature.

It was my random desire to hear a gunshot as I was departing the store.  LOL

I hear bear mace isn't as strong as [Image: Pike.jpg]

I wish I had that, be great for "express checkout" when you just want to leave and not pay.....
(08-31-2020, 02:51 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: I've been in stores and was owed a penny or two and got rounded down, was also in a kwik trip the other day and my change back was 3 cents, I said to keep it(put it in the jar). She offered me a nickle. 

I blame it on kids today can't do math. Not rounding it up or down at the end of the day when counting their drawer would cause their brain to explode.    smalltappinghead

As for the bad looks the cashiers give when paying with cash, here they have asked people to pay with a credit/debit card because money has been handled by so many people. They said it would spread the "virus" much easier.
I don't like touching cash. It's filthy and germ laden. And sets just inches away from many peoples exits. It's just that simple.
I don't understand the need for pennies in cash transactions.  Just price everything to the nearest nickel.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-31-2020, 01:36 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: I don't understand the need for pennies in cash transactions.  Just price everything to the nearest nickel.

It's like that in the PX overseas.  But, not at the US Post Office there.  Funny, huh?

Anyway, you take it to a nickel ... why not a dime?  What we used to buy for a penny as kids surely costs us a dime now.  They just added a zero to the end of everything (except my damned retirement checks!!)
You better run!
remember what i said about next it would be nickels. now the sign says sorry we are out of pennies and nickels at the first one, haven't been to the second one.
(09-05-2020, 04:55 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: remember what i said about next it would be nickels. now the sign says sorry we are out of  pennies and nickels at the first one, haven't been to the second one.

Soon the sign will "say",

BITCOIN ONLY

tinylaughing 

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]