Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Really Hate People (Sometimes)
So I'm at work yesterday, I work in a machine shop.  I got pissed off over something stupid because of a misunderstanding with a manager.  

In a nutshell, we use templates to measure parts sometimes.  Many times I'll make my own, it takes about 10 seconds to do.  My manager comes over and says there's a template in the work pack,  which is a folder with the specifications of the part you're making.  I said, it's ok, I just made one, I'll use that.  30 seconds later he walks by again and says everyone else uses the template in the work pack.  I said, ok, great, and kept using mine.

A few minutes later he's back with the head of the inspection office, saying I have to use the template in the work pack.  At this point I'm fucking pissed and pull the template out of the work pack, slap it on the desk, roll mine into a ball and throw it over my shoulder. He should have led with, you have to use this template, instead of making it a suggestion, then the whole fucking fiasco could've been avoided.

No biggie, it's happened before, it'll happen again, I was pissed off for 20 minutes, then I was back to normal, like a normal human being.

But no, today the production manager comes up to me, really cool guy who I like, and said the manager came to him saying a few employees went to the manager saying my anger was making them uncomfortable. 

I laughed, and said I guess they've never been around anyone angry before.  If they're going to piss their pants everytime someone gets angry about something, they're gonna leave here someday with serious PTSD.

I continued on my tirade for a few minutes, saying if the snowflakes are gonna piss their pants over something that was over in 20 minutes, and I wasn't screaming, cursing, and kicking shit, well that's their problem, not mine.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

tinywondering
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(08-28-2020, 02:57 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: So I'm at work yesterday, I work in a machine shop.  I got pissed off over something stupid because of a misunderstanding with a manager.  

In a nutshell, we use templates to measure parts sometimes.  Many times I'll make my own, it takes about 10 seconds to do.  My manager comes over and says there's a template in the work pack,  which is a folder with the specifications of the part you're making.  I said, it's ok, I just made one, I'll use that.  30 seconds later he walks by again and says everyone else uses the template in the work pack.  I said, ok, great, and kept using mine.

A few minutes later he's back with the head of the inspection office, saying I have to use the template in the work pack.  At this point I'm fucking pissed and pull the template out of the work pack, slap it on the desk, roll mine into a ball and throw it over my shoulder. He should have led with, you have to use this template, instead of making it a suggestion, then the whole fucking fiasco could've been avoided.

No biggie, it's happened before, it'll happen again, I was pissed off for 20 minutes, then I was back to normal, like a normal human being.

But no, today the production manager comes up to me, really cool guy who I like, and said the manager came to him saying a few employees went to the manager saying my anger was making them uncomfortable. 

I laughed, and said I guess they've never been around anyone angry before.  If they're going to piss their pants everytime someone gets angry about something, they're gonna leave here someday with serious PTSD.

I continued on my tirade for a few minutes, saying if the snowflakes are gonna piss their pants over something that was over in 20 minutes, and I wasn't screaming, cursing, and kicking shit, well that's their problem, not mine.
I support the manager fully, you must always use the approved templates, not your own, no matter how good your own is. As far as getting angry in the work place for all to see, thats a no no. Yep if you want to shout do so in the office not the work place.
Having said that I do understand how you feel, but try to remember, time and place, time and place
(08-28-2020, 03:17 PM)Wallfire Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 02:57 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: So I'm at work yesterday, I work in a machine shop.  I got pissed off over something stupid because of a misunderstanding with a manager.  

I support the manager fully, you must always use the approved templates, not your own, no matter how good your own is. As far as getting angry in the work place for all to see, thats a no no. Yep if you want to shout do so in the office not the work place.
Having said that I do understand how you feel, but try to remember, time and place, time and place
That's not the case where I work, people always make their own templates, just not for this particular new job I haven't run yet.

Bottom line, it all could have been avoided if I was told the work pack template had to be used, instead of making it a suggestion.  When you make it a suggestion, seems to me I have a choice.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
@Schmoe1

Yeah, i understand that you got pissed off, then cooled down shortly after. I don't have more to say or ask about that.
My question is this: If there is already a template in the work pack, why do you make your own template then? You said that making one takes about 10 seconds. But if the work pack is right there next to you, taking a template from there = 3 seconds, tops.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(08-28-2020, 04:10 PM)Finspiracy Wrote: @Schmoe1

Yeah, i understand that you got pissed off, then cooled down shortly after. I don't have more to say or ask about that.
My question is this: If there is already a template in the work pack, why do you make your own template then? You said that making one takes about 10 seconds. But if the work pack is right there next to you, taking a template from there = 3 seconds, tops.

The way it's set up, I go into work, find out which machines I'm running or setting up, then go to those machines.

If parts are already running, theres a sheet from the inspection office on the work desk showing what diameters to run the parts at.  These are springs, and have to be ran at a certain diameter in order to get the correct strength from the part.

Also, these spring have a straight end, used for fixtures they go into.  The straight end has to be a certain length, which is listed on the inspection sheet.  So to make a template, you literally just make 2 straight lines to form a t, then measure with calipers from the intersection to where your straight should be, and mark it.  10 seconds.

This is a new part, so I didn't know we HAD to use the premade template, nor did the manager make that clear.  I do it almost every day, come in, see my specs, make a template, and run parts.
What happens if you get the template wrong ? Thats why its wise to always use the firms template, no point in telling them "but I always make my own" as they kick your ass out the door.
(08-28-2020, 03:24 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 02:57 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: My manager comes over and says there's a template in the work pack,  

I support the manager fully, 

That's not the case where I work, people always make their own templates, just not for this particular new job I haven't run yet.

Know how I see it.  You're the one getting the job done.  You manager should know this too.

Your manager needs to be suspended for a week without pay ... for disturbing a guy when he's working ... for no worthwhile reason.

I used to be a manager of managers.  While I was giving the guy his yellow card, I'd have told him this, "It may be permanent if your team doesn't collapse in your absence.  It WILL be permanent if there's an improvement in productivity or morale.  Now get the fuck outta here!!"
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-28-2020, 04:38 PM)Wallfire Wrote: What happens if you get the template wrong ? Thats why its wise to always use the firms template, no point in telling them "but I always make my own" as they kick your ass out the door.

If you get something as simple as the template I described wrong, you have no business working in a machine shop.  My 6 year old could make it.

You're not understanding. People make their own templates all the time because they're simple.
(08-28-2020, 05:58 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 02:57 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: My manager comes over and says there's a template in the work pack,  

Know how I see it.  You're the one getting the job done.  You manager should know this too.

Your manager needs to be suspended for a week without pay ... for disturbing a guy when he's working ... for no worthwhile reason.

I used to be a manager of managers.  While I was giving the guy his yellow card, I'd have told him this, "It may be permanent if your team doesn't collapse in your absence.  It WILL be permanent if there's an improvement in productivity or morale.  Now get the fuck outta here!!"
My problem isn't even really with the manager, that was just a misunderstanding, my problem is with the cucks who "felt uncomfortable " because a guy got angry for a few minutes and then went to a manager about it.
(08-28-2020, 06:25 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

My problem isn't even really with the manager, that was just a misunderstanding, my problem is with the cucks who "felt uncomfortable " because a guy got angry for a few minutes and then went to a manager about it.

It just feels like using their jig was the best thing to do. It leaves them nothing to come back at you for? Plus, he's a Manager and well, he needs to "Manage"".
internet Agent Provocateur
(08-28-2020, 06:25 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: My problem isn't even really with the manager, that was just a misunderstanding, my problem is with the cucks who "felt uncomfortable " because a guy got angry for a few minutes and then went to a manager about it.

Sign-O-The-Times, my brother.

If you can, you should start building out a machine shop of your own.

A couple of old Army retirees 'round here pitched in together leasing a big abandoned building for peanuts.  I helped 'em move in a replacement lathe that must've set (the one who bought it) back $50K.  Nice frikkin' piece of equipment.  Both of these fellas had been working in a factory close by.  Now they've got so much work walking in off the streets they had to give up those factory jobs.  They're getting a CNC machine in a month.  They're their own bosses!!

Sometimes I hang out with 'em ... because they're just great people.  And I'll help 'em out with NUG work ... nothing that'll take one of my paws.  Am learning some of the stuff that's always piqued my curiosity.  Bunch'a damned old geezers ... and we yell at each other without anyone getting their feewings all wadded up in a ball.

Look for a better place!!  You'll find it ... even if you have to move out here.
You better run!
(08-28-2020, 07:13 PM)Antisthenes Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 06:25 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

It just feels like using their jig was the best thing to do. It leaves them nothing to come back at you for? Plus, he's a Manager and well, he needs to "Manage"".

This is what I'm trying to explain.  I would have happily used the approved template IF I KNEW I HAD TO.

There are many other parts we make that DON'T require you to use an approved template.
(08-28-2020, 07:30 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 06:25 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: My problem isn't even really with the manager, that was just a misunderstanding, my problem is with the cucks who "felt uncomfortable " because a guy got angry for a few minutes and then went to a manager about it.

Sign-O-The-Times, my brother.

If you can, you should start building out a machine shop of your own.

A couple of old Army retirees 'round here pitched in together leasing a big abandoned building for peanuts.  I helped 'em move in a replacement lathe that must've set (the one who bought it) back $50K.  Nice frikkin' piece of equipment.  Both of these fellas had been working in a factory close by.  Now they've got so much work walking in off the streets they had to give up those factory jobs.  They're getting a CNC machine in a month.  They're their own bosses!!

Sometimes I hang out with 'em ... because they're just great people.  And I'll help 'em out with NUG work ... nothing that'll take one of my paws.  Am learning some of the stuff that's always piqued my curiosity.  Bunch'a damned old geezers ... and we yell at each other without anyone getting their feewings all wadded up in a ball.

Look for a better place!!  You'll find it ... even if you have to move out here.

That's the thing, I actually like my job, it's just some of the people who ruin it for everyone.

I've worked in a few machine shops, each one had a weird cliquey culture.  

I've never been the most social person, I like coming to work, doing my job, and going home.  I dont get caught up in people's bullshit drama, that's how I prefer it.

That doesn't mean I'm a dick to people, unless they deserve it.  Whenever anyone asks me for help, I'm happy to help.  They even have me train people, so I cant be that bad.

I just had a good talk with my manager, he and I always get along, it was just a misunderstanding, we laughed about it.  But I'm extremely bitter right now towards the fucks who went and cried that I made them feel uncomfortable.  All because I got angry for 20 minutes.  I never raised my voice, didn't kick and punch shit, but still i apparently had them pissing their pants????
(08-28-2020, 09:24 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: But I'm extremely bitter right now towards the fucks who went and cried that I made them feel uncomfortable.  All because I got angry for 20 minutes.  I never raised my voice, didn't kick and punch shit, but still i apparently had them pissing their pants????

Girly-men.  Wouldn't expect to find them in a machine shop.

Do you come to work lookin'

[Image: The-Undertaker.jpg]

LOL
You better run!
(08-28-2020, 09:38 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 09:24 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: But I'm extremely bitter right now towards the fucks who went and cried that I made them feel uncomfortable.  All because I got angry for 20 minutes.  I never raised my voice, didn't kick and punch shit, but still i apparently had them pissing their pants????

Girly-men.  Wouldn't expect to find them in a machine shop.

Do you come to work lookin'

[Image: The-Undertaker.jpg]

LOL

Lol apparently I do from the reaction, you'd have thought my anger was about to manifest into a tornado from the way they felt soooooo uncomfortable that they had to cry about it.

Hell, I've seen plenty of other people there freak out way worse than I did, I never felt uncomfortable, I simply wondered what they were pissed about, then it was over with.

I really am baffled.