Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
An Upcoming Unprecedented Weather Event
Ladies and Gentlemen, it appears we have "the perfect storm" heading our way here in the U.S. and it could cause great devastation to the Gulf Coast.

Two hurricanes forecast to hit US Gulf at same time in unprecedented weather event

[Image: skynews-hurricane-harvey-space-station_5...0821212109]

Quote:When storms orbit each other, the speed of one can accelerate the other as part of something known as the "Fujiwhara effect".

A pair of tropical cyclones forecast to become hurricanes early next week are headed for the US Gulf Coast, in what would be an unprecedented weather event that could cause major damage.

Tropical Storm Laura and a separate tropical depression brewing near Honduras may make landfall as hurricanes in an area stretching from Texas to the Florida Panhandle, the National Hurricane Centre says.

It would be the first time two cyclones have entered the US Gulf of Mexico since 1959 - and meteorologists say two storms have converged in the Gulf simultaneously on only a very small number of occasions.

[Image: Ef78i5SXkAAbvi6?format=jpg&name=small]

And while a Category 3 hurricane and moderate tropical storm hit the US Gulf of Mexico together in 1933, there are no records of two hurricanes occurring in the ocean basin at the same time.

However, meteorologists say there is still considerable uncertainty around how the systems may develop and move in coming days, particularly as they cross land.

Dan Kottlowski, of AccuWeather, said the two storms currently looked on track to remain separate, but that any interaction between the two could change their intensity or trajectory.

He said it was unlikely they would combine, but added: "More than likely one will become stronger, and inflict more vertical wind shear causing the other to weaken.
Source

Okay, so they wait until the end of the article to calm our fears. Let's hope they are correct, but remember, this is 2020. What could possibly go wrong?   tinyhuh
I'm not a weather expert, but I do post online.

I think this will kill everyone and destroy the planet.

Personally, I live in Oregon but I will not be spared so I've quit my job and have looted a liquor store.

Also picked up some rib eyes for tomorrow.

tinybiggrin
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(08-22-2020, 12:47 AM)beez Wrote: I'm not a weather expert, but I do post online.

I think this will kill everyone and destroy the planet.

Personally, I live in Oregon but I will not be spared so I've quit my job and have looted a liquor store.

Also picked up some rib eyes for tomorrow.

tinybiggrin

If that is true and all the people are killed, It'll Be Trump's Fault!!!!  tinysure
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I read about this earlier today. I don’t live near there but it’s still something to watch. I also hope they are right, that they don’t combine. 

These are definitely some strange times we live in.
(08-22-2020, 03:31 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I read about this earlier today. I don’t live near there but it’s still something to watch. I also hope they are right, that they don’t combine. 

It's 2020.

I'm anticipating Sharknado's in November.
-Abraham Lincoln
@"Mystic Wanderer" 

Meh, most of my family are in the path and they aren't worried about it too much- not even my sister who actually lives on the beach. Everybody is just stocking up on the usual. The only one who might evacuate is one of the daughters and her family but only because the electricity will probably get knocked out for a while and she doesn't want to subject our one year old grandson to the extreme heat down there without air conditioning- everybody else just plans on riding it out.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(08-22-2020, 03:37 AM)beez Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 03:31 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I read about this earlier today. I don’t live near there but it’s still something to watch. I also hope they are right, that they don’t combine. 

It's 2020.

I'm anticipating Sharknado's in November.

At this point it really wouldn’t surprise me  tinylaughing
(08-22-2020, 03:39 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: @"Mystic Wanderer" 

Meh, most of my family are in the path and they aren't worried about it too much- not even my sister who actually lives on the beach. Everybody is just stocking up on the usual. The only one who might evacuate is one of the daughters and her family but only because the electricity will probably get knocked out for a while and she doesn't want to subject our one year old grandson to the extreme heat down there without air conditioning- everybody else just plans on riding it out.

I have encountered one full blown huricane since living here in North carolina. Matthew, Irma or Michael, I don't remember the name for sure anymore, but 100 miles inland we experianced vast flooding washing away roads, much of the entire area underwater, loss of power and howling winds uprooting trees and and breaking limbs. After winds have been blowing 50-60 miles per hour for 10-12-14 hours straight, you become weary and afraid of what lies in store next.

Were I on the coast, well....... I just wouldn't be if possible.
@"Mystic Wanderer" 

Quote:but remember, this is 2020. What could possibly go wrong?

[Image: yearquil.jpg]

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

I blame the GM Mosquitos,
bastards.

tinybigeyes
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
I live in Europe, so all I can say to the people in the USA is,    Suffer Bastards Suffer     minusculebiggrin ( and be safe)
(08-22-2020, 06:51 AM)PLOTUS Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 03:39 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: @"Mystic Wanderer" 

I have encountered one full blown huricane since living here in North carolina. Matthew, Irma or Michael, I don't remember the name for sure anymore, but 100 miles inland we experianced vast flooding washing away roads, much of the entire area underwater, loss of power and howling winds uprooting trees and and breaking limbs. After winds have been blowing 50-60 miles per hour for 10-12-14 hours straight, you become weary and afraid of what lies in store next.

Were I on the coast, well....... I just wouldn't be if possible.

I lived on the Gulf Coast most of my life and my family is scattered all between Houston and New Orleans. I had my oldest during a hurricane, worked through two hurricanes, rode a hurricane out in a tent in the woods and rode one out at home with my kids that nearly completely destroyed my house (had to tear it down eventually)- plus many tropical storms. Since I've moved (six years ago) many in my family have been completely flooded (some with water over the roof tops) because of Harvey and Imelda. Gulf Coast people are strong and have lived through Hell many, many times.... they will survive and thrive!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Well, with it being 2020, it wouldn’t surprise me one damn bit if both systems combined and created an Ultrahurricane!   tinybighuh 

It would be like a supercalafragilisticexpealidocious storm system. Makes me glad I live in Wisconsin where all we get are blizzards with hurricane force straight winds that create total whiteout conditions where the wind chills plummet to 60 below zero! 

2020 can get bent!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
Pandemics, murder hornets, politics, projectile diarrhea, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, riots, lootings. . . . 

Mother nature:  Hold my beer.

tinyhuh tinylaughing
-Abraham Lincoln
Gulf Coast resident here in the path of the storms.  I'll let you know how things go as long as I have electric and internet. The stress of a past hurricane put me in the hospital due to my weak heart but I don't thing that will happen this time.
If I am not here then I am probably someplace else.
(08-23-2020, 03:53 AM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Gulf Coast resident here in the path of the storms.  I'll let you know how things go as long as I have electric and internet. The stress of a past hurricane put me in the hospital due to my weak heart but I don't thing that will happen this time.

@"LookingForABetterLife", yes, please keep us updated, and stay safe.

If they tell you to evacuate, please heed the warnings.
(08-23-2020, 03:53 AM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Gulf Coast resident here in the path of the storms.  I'll let you know how things go as long as I have electric and internet. The stress of a past hurricane put me in the hospital due to my weak heart but I don't thing that will happen this time.

Stay safe, by all means.

tinywhat
-Abraham Lincoln
(08-23-2020, 04:14 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:

@"LookingForABetterLife", yes, please keep us updated, and stay safe.

If they tell you to evacuate, please heed the warnings.

I'll do my best to keep myself and the kitties safe.
(08-23-2020, 04:37 AM)beez Wrote:

Stay safe, by all means.

tinywhat

Safety and being prepared have been on the top of my list this past week.
It does look rather scary, doesn't it? The poor gorgeous gulf coast really doesn' need this indignity, that's for sure. May all of you that live in the path of this thing remember it next month as the storm that wasn't. Sending my good thoughts to all of you. Since this is a nasty storm born of the ocean I will wish everyone fair winds and following seas. Prepare accordingly and this too shall pass.
internet Agent Provocateur